New roster is up

The new roster is up at gopher sports. I'm kind of surprised that Bryce Williams is back for his 6th year.
This would really be his 7th year. I guess one of the RS seasons could be considered medical.

The new roster is up at gopher sports. I'm kind of surprised that Bryce Williams is back for his 6th year.
A bit surprised, too. But OK with it. Experienced backfield help is great value. Darnell Jeffries, DL, is the only other 7th year man (6th plus COVID year) on the roster. I suppose, if PJ makes some great pick-ups in the spring portal, obviating the need for Jeffries and Bryce, maybe those two move on. But, I'm just fine with Bryce being around one more year; have no opinion on Jeffreies staying another year.

A bit surprised, too. But OK with it. Experienced backfield help is great value. Darnell Jeffries, DL, is the only other 7th year man (6th plus COVID year) on the roster. I suppose, if PJ makes some great pick-ups in the spring portal, obviating the need for Jeffries and Bryce, maybe those two move on. But, I'm just fine with Bryce being around one more year; have no opinion on Jeffreies staying another year.
RB room is already at 7 scholarship players plus walk-ons, so I'd imagine if he was leaving he would've by now. But I suppose if we get into spring practice and he'd down at 4th string or behind one of the freshman he may see the writing on the wall.

Williams is back?? Thought he was out of eligibility.
What's even more incredible is that 2024 will be his 7th academic year at the U and he's still not a graduate student.

Five on the roster are 6th or 7th academic year and not grad students, and five more are 5th academic year.

2019 he (regular) redshirted
2020 was covid, did not count
2023 was a medical hardship waiver (extends clock one year, season doesn't count)

2018, 2021, and 2022 were participated seasons.

What's even more incredible is that 2024 will be his 7th academic year at the U and he's still not a graduate student.

Five on the roster are 6th or 7th academic year and not grad students, and five more are 5th academic year.
Guessing he's working on a double major and is short credits for one major. He's listed as an academic all-BT so this is the only explanation I can think of.

I think we will continue to see this with guys who aren't likely NFL talent sticking around to collect some NIL money while they can!

RB room is already at 7 scholarship players plus walk-ons, so I'd imagine if he was leaving he would've by now. But I suppose if we get into spring practice and he'd down at 4th string or behind one of the freshman he may see the writing on the wall.
I assume Fleck will have a role in mind for Bryce or couldn’t Fleck choose to no longer extend the scholarship at this point?

I think if I had to keep one or the other I would personally go with Jefferies. I think we could use the depth at DT more.

Anyone know what Hayden Schwartz season ending injury was? He's headed into 3rd year.

2022 Redshirt
2023 Dressed for 7 games and then was injured.

Has not played yet.

I assume Fleck will have a role in mind for Bryce or couldn’t Fleck choose to no longer extend the scholarship at this point?
I think … that a recruit is “promised” a four year scholarship plus a redshirt year. If you are still in the team in year 7, and still on scholarship (presumably in grad school), the HC has invited you to stay and is giving you a scholarship that he has every right to deny. Thus, the fact that Bryce remains on the roster and presumably on scholarship means that PJ sees a role for him in the 2024 season (or that Bryce will get his graduate degree after spring semester and will move on then, freeing up a scholarship for a spring portal transfer).

Ryan Burns mostly notes changes in jersey numbers. One position change is RF Zander Rockow, from Regis HS in WI, going from LB to running back. I think Rockow is a preferred W/O. Anyway, he is kind of like LeCaptain. Was a dominating RB and LB in HS. Slotted at LB on the Gophers. Switched to RB when every RB but Nubin was injured last season (probably because of HS position and need for our defense to practice live). Anyway--unlike LeCaptain--is staying at RB. He's big (6'1'' 230) and pretty fast. Probably a good position switch, but also means that PJ must feel OK with what we have rostered at LB, despite how thin the position was last year. (WI meanwhile took three highly-rated LB transfers from the portal.)

I think 6 years is definitely fulfilling our commitment to a player.

As far as his role, Bryce was always a good pass blocker and just a tough guy. It's not a position of need, but I'm sure he'll be productive for us.

I think 6 years is definitely fulfilling our commitment to a player.

As far as his role, Bryce was always a good pass blocker and just a tough guy. It's not a position of need, but I'm sure he'll be productive for us.
Wonder if they reevaluate after Spring Ball? Surely there will be some roster movement at that point.

He's there because he has permission. Geezus.

I think we will continue to see this with guys who aren't likely NFL talent sticking around to collect some NIL money while they can!

An even more moronic take.

Wonder if they reevaluate after Spring Ball? Surely there will be some roster movement at that point.
And you just never know when some random surprise transfer out could happen.

Ryan Burns mostly notes changes in jersey numbers. One position change is RF Zander Rockow, from Regis HS in WI, going from LB to running back. I think Rockow is a preferred W/O. Anyway, he is kind of like LeCaptain. Was a dominating RB and LB in HS. Slotted at LB on the Gophers. Switched to RB when every RB but Nubin was injured last season (probably because of HS position and need for our defense to practice live). Anyway--unlike LeCaptain--is staying at RB. He's big (6'1'' 230) and pretty fast. Probably a good position switch, but also means that PJ must feel OK with what we have rostered at LB, despite how thin the position was last year. (WI meanwhile took three highly-rated LB transfers from the portal.)
Rockow ran for 3,800 yards in high school so I guess the position change isn't shocking.

How do you know that?

Rockow ran for 3,800 yards in high school so I guess the position change isn't shocking.

Agreed. In fact, he switched to RB late last year after all the RB injuries, so looks like this means he remains at RB.

Top Bottom