New Q&A: Maple Grove FB Tyler Coyne Targeting PWO Opportunity with Gophers

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Maple Grove FB Tyler Coyne Targeting PWO Opportunity with Gophers
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/310090?referrer_id=388419

Tyler Coyne, a 6-1, 220-pound senior fullback from Maple Grove (MN) High, has been one of the key reasons for the Crimson’s surprising season this year as they were a number two seed before losing to Roseville in the Class 6A state tournament last week. Coyne rushed 41 times for 184 yards (4.5 yards per carry) and had five touchdowns this season.

Gopher Hole recently caught up Coyne to learn more on his recruitment and senior season.

Gopher Hole: How about your own individual play? How pleased are you with how well you have been playing?

Tyler Coyne: I am having a lot better year than last year. Last year, I was more of a blocking guy, but I am very pleased with my game. I can always improve, but so far, it has been a good year and I am happy with it.

Gopher Hole: Have you had a chance to go to many college games so far this fall?

Tyler Coyne: I have been gone probably every weekend, going to college games. By far, I would say that this one (against Nebraska) has been the most impressive. I enjoyed this.

Gopher Hole: Where all have you been?

Tyler Coyne: I have been mainly to Division 2’s like Augustana, UMD and everywhere around there. This was my first Division I game.

Gopher Hole: Did you attend many football camps this past summer?

Tyler Coyne: I went to a lot of college football camps like NDSU, UND and Division II camps, too. I actually separated my shoulder right before I was coming to Minnesota, which set me back a little bit, but they kept their eye on me.

Gopher Hole: Your brother plays hockey for Minnesota, right?

Tyler Coyne: He is a redshirt freshman, so this is his second year here at the “U”. He redshirted last season and plays goalie for the Gophers.

Gopher Hole: What does he tell you about Minnesota?

Tyler Coyne: He loves it here. He thinks it’s great. He really wants me to come here, too. He thinks it is a great atmosphere, great kids, great student life. He absolutely loves it.

Gopher Hole: Do you play hockey also?

Tyler Coyne: I also play hockey, but I don’t play for the high school. I play on a club team. I just focus on football.

Gopher Hole: What colleges are you hearing from?

Tyler Coyne: Minnesota is probably the biggest one, but Augustana, UMD, NDSU and UND. Those are the top schools.

Gopher Hole: Any offers yet?

Tyler Coyne: I have an offer from the University of Minnesota-Crookston. That is my only one so far.

Gopher Hole: What are you hearing from the Gophers?

Tyler Coyne: Preferred walk-on, probably, if I keep up my play and keep going hard, which I am satisfied with.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to play at the same school as your brother?

Tyler Coyne: I think that it would be the greatest thing in the world. My other brother plays for St. Thomas, which is nice and close, too, but having the experience of having my brother play for the hockey team and me playing football, that would be an experience of a lifetime and would mean so much to me and I would have a great time and it would be the greatest thing in the world.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to play at the same school as your brother?

Tyler Coyne: I think that it would be the greatest thing in the world. My other brother plays for St. Thomas, which is nice and close, too, but having the experience of having my brother play for the hockey team and me playing football, that would be an experience of a lifetime and would mean so much to me and I would have a great time and it would be the greatest thing in the world.

About the same size as Mike Henry (but 10 lbs. lighter). Would love to see him as a PWO. He must like what he's seeing from Henry too. Would be a great story.

Top Bottom