New Posters: Where are you coming from?

ShowinGoldyLove

Reaction score
New GH Members: Where are you coming from?

We've had such a huge influx of new members to this site over the past week or so, I'm just curious to hear about how people arrived here at Gopherhole? Did you hear about it through another site, Google MN Gopher Basketball forums, etc.?

I'm wondering if Nadine had a crop-duster fly over the metro with a www.forums.gopherhole.com banner? :clap:

I read about it in this bathroom stall at a truck stop near Sheboygan, WI.

(Honestly from the Gopher web site)

T-R-O-L-L-S

If these trolls were smarter they'd have some sort of U of M signature or avatar. I have yet to see a troll with either of these attributes.

We've had such a huge influx of new members to this site over the past week or so, I'm just curious to hear about how people arrived here at Gopherhole? Did you hear about it through another site, Google MN Gopher Basketball forums, etc.?

I'm wondering if Nadine had a crop-duster fly over the metro with a www.forums.gopherhole.com banner? :clap:

No silly, we all chipped in and had urinal cakes made for the Vu! Just kidding - I'm interested too - I always wonder what encourages people to become posters instead of lurkers. For me, I remember years ago, in Charlotte at the tourney, I think Nate got sick of me asking him to post things for me...and I finally got my own moniker. If took a few days to get into it, but then I was hooked. Now I can't shut up!

For me it was a chance to follow the Gopher news closely. I wanted more than the coverage from the Strib or PP - I wanted to know what the real fans were thinking - and I got it from Gopherhole. I only have 1,500 posts in more than 6 years - so I like to think I contribute quality over quantity - but I will leave that to you to decide.

I have been lurking around since Tubby came, I never posted untill today

I'm not really a new member---don't post alot though. I heard about GopherHole from a friend and season ticket holder for football (like me) who told me about it. I check the site daily, and enjoy the insight of members and the loads of information I get on football and basketball.

These are the trolls that the GHMod told us to ignore. It's not really that easy is it?

I would ask the Mod to grow a pair and be proactive.

I’ve been lurking around the various permutations of GH since the mid-90’s. I’m not sure exactly what made me start posting now. Part of it is that I’m living on the east coast again and maybe feeling a bit detached from the scene (though adding BTN to my cable costs all of $2.95/mo). I’d also say that the strange course that this season has taken has something to do with it. Hey, there’s been a lot to talk about.

Welcome! Posting feels good doesn't it? :)
I'm not really a new member---don't post alot though. I heard about GopherHole from a friend and season ticket holder for football (like me) who told me about it. I check the site daily, and enjoy the insight of members and the loads of information I get on football and basketball.
That's pretty neat; glad friends are telling friends about the 'Hole :clap:

I’ve been lurking around the various permutations of GH since the mid-90’s. I’m not sure exactly what made me start posting now. Part of it is that I’m living on the east coast again and maybe feeling a bit detached from the scene (though adding BTN to my cable costs all of $2.95/mo). I’d also say that the strange course that this season has taken has something to do with it. Hey, there’s been a lot to talk about.

Curious about your cable and BTN. Who's your cable provider and is the 2.95 for BTN only or part of a package. Either way 2.95 seems pretty reasonable especially for transplanted Big Ten fans.

I have been poking around here since the Monson era. I don't like the squad right now.Time to speak out

Curious about your cable and BTN. Who's your cable provider and is the 2.95 for BTN only or part of a package. Either way 2.95 seems pretty reasonable especially for transplanted Big Ten fans.

Very reasonable. I have Time Warner cable and BTN is available to me in western Massachusetts on a sports tier along with a slew of channels I'll probably never watch. The only downside is that the BTN is standard definition only, but beggars can't be choosers and you can't argue with the price.

I'm only hoping the Gophers don't make me regret my investment ;)

It's always good to have new posters-some are very good and some are,,,,well, not as very good. I must say that the 'tone' of this board has changed in the last 6-12 months.

My concern; it seems some of the regular long-term posters(many of whom I really enjoyed reading) are posting less and I wonder if the change in tone has caused that.

Thats where I live baby! Read it and Weep!
You are just jealous! The weather is puuuuurfect most of the time!

A newcomer that likes the tone of GH

Speaking for myself...I'm a local Minneapolis guy and I wasn't aware of Gopherhole until about a month ago when I happened upon it while scouring for more Gopher Basketball news on the web. This is by far my best outlet for my fixation on the gophs as there are not a whole lot of other outlets out there. I'm a huge KFAN listener and they seldom even mention the squad. I'm a long time fan with vague childhood memories of Mitch Lee with the shaved champagne bottle on the side of his head. I really cut my teeth on the Burton, Newburn, Coffee team. I turned a deaf ear during the majority of the Monson era although there were a couple bright spots along the way with the tail end of Q Lewis's career, Vincent Greer's offensive chicanery (I'll never forget his homegame against Wisconsin when he could do nothing wrong), and it always draws attention when we get hometown talent in here like Pryzbilla. I'm still amazed that we have Tubby here. My tendency is always to err on the side of "Tubby knows best" when I question some of his tactics - whole scale substitutions... his lack of working the refs. Bottom line is that he's got a championship under his belt, and we're far from that level.

It's a funny thing to hear that the tone has changed on this site...perhaps due in part to newcomers that don't respect what you've got going here. I have been very impressed with the good natured banter back and forth on this page, the majority of it is very respectful of others opinions...etc... My brother commented to me about the stark contrast between the tone on Gopherhole compared to the tone of the Star Tribune comments on the Al Nolen situation. The Star Tribune comments are brutal and insensitive towards the difficulty that Al might be experiencing right now. It's easy to say "this kids an idiot", instead of giving him the benefit of the doubt.... I'm just glad that Gopherhole is pretty balanced... you've got positives and negatives.

This season sure has been a rollercoaster though....

As a MSU fan, I got your great site off of a goggle search. I really like to see what other fans of the Big Ten are talking about and what their expectations are. Not to kiss up, but I think your board membership is one of the best in the league. Posters in here, for the most part have a very good understanding of the game. I think a very few on here are a little too critical of your program. Thanks for allowing me to sit in on your conversations. Good Luck Saturday.

I've been reading on GH for a few years now. I grew up in Minnesota a huge gopher fan, however I'm stuck in Iowa listening to all of the Hawkeye fans bash me about Gopher football. At least they have shut up during the winter due to the basketball team being in the basement of the Big Ten. I guess I follow here just so I can stay caught up on everything that is going on. Thanks for all the insight.

Official WELCOME to the new(er) posters! :)

Yeah! Congrats on your 1st post and welcome. The more people post instead of lurk, the better our discusssions will be!

Great to have you here - and glad you found the Chat room too! It's amazing how connected you are with the Gophs, in any part of the world, with GH.

Speaking for myself...I'm a local Minneapolis guy and I wasn't aware of Gopherhole until about a month ago when I happened upon it while scouring for more Gopher Basketball news on the web. This is by far my best outlet for my fixation on the gophs as there are not a whole lot of other outlets out there. I'm a huge KFAN listener and they seldom even mention the squad. I'm a long time fan with vague childhood memories of Mitch Lee with the shaved champagne bottle on the side of his head. I really cut my teeth on the Burton, Newburn, Coffee team. I turned a deaf ear during the majority of the Monson era although there were a couple bright spots along the way with the tail end of Q Lewis's career, Vincent Greer's offensive chicanery (I'll never forget his homegame against Wisconsin when he could do nothing wrong), and it always draws attention when we get hometown talent in here like Pryzbilla. I'm still amazed that we have Tubby here. My tendency is always to err on the side of "Tubby knows best" when I question some of his tactics - whole scale substitutions... his lack of working the refs. Bottom line is that he's got a championship under his belt, and we're far from that level.

It's a funny thing to hear that the tone has changed on this site...perhaps due in part to newcomers that don't respect what you've got going here. I have been very impressed with the good natured banter back and forth on this page, the majority of it is very respectful of others opinions...etc... My brother commented to me about the stark contrast between the tone on Gopherhole compared to the tone of the Star Tribune comments on the Al Nolen situation. The Star Tribune comments are brutal and insensitive towards the difficulty that Al might be experiencing right now. It's easy to say "this kids an idiot", instead of giving him the benefit of the doubt.... I'm just glad that Gopherhole is pretty balanced... you've got positives and negatives.

This season sure has been a rollercoaster though....

Great to have you on here, and good post! I think we share the same opinions of Tubby - think he's great, and have mad respect for him...but that doesn't mean we can't question his subbing patterns, offense, etc. I am behind him 100%, but that doesn't mean he's not human and is void of ever making mistakes.

As a MSU fan, I got your great site off of a goggle search. I really like to see what other fans of the Big Ten are talking about and what their expectations are. Not to kiss up, but I think your board membership is one of the best in the league. Posters in here, for the most part have a very good understanding of the game. I think a very few on here are a little too critical of your program. Thanks for allowing me to sit in on your conversations. Good Luck Saturday.

I've been reading on GH for a few years now. I grew up in Minnesota a huge gopher fan, however I'm stuck in Iowa listening to all of the Hawkeye fans bash me about Gopher football. At least they have shut up during the winter due to the basketball team being in the basement of the Big Ten. I guess I follow here just so I can stay caught up on everything that is going on. Thanks for all the insight.

1st of all my my condolences...no one should be forced to live in Iowa. Best of luck moving. 2nd - welcome!

Spartan Tailgate

We always welcome civil posters from other schools that come here to share their insights.

Live in Wisconsin, grew up in Le Sueur. Fan of both Badgers and gophers, when they play each other I just bet on the over.;)

I started following Gopherhole around 1995-1996 I think. I've changed my screen name when I forgot it and when I moved. I think it was Vegas Gopher years ago. I read GH daily but rarely post. I have been really tempted to post lately. I think it's the frustrations with being a Gopher basketball fan that have pushed more into posting.

Many of the posts this season have been people insulting each other. I went to the MSU board yesterday and felt much better about our team. I do appreciate the GH posts that put things into perspective. Teams all over the country would gladly take Tubby Smith as their coach. I trust him and agree there is more going on than we know about.

Go Gophers!

Hello All, I am from St. Cloud and have been coming to these boards for a long time. Mostly for the recruiting tidbits especially from Johnny Gopher and company. The Willie Burton, Walter Bond teams when I was really young started me off on my following of the gophers, and it has been that way ever since. I was surprised and ecstatic when Tubby came to the U as he seems to be a perfect fit for the basketball community here. I am currently a law student, and with regards to the charges filed against Royce feel that they are pretty lean and probably will result in some sort of slap on the wrist for the trespassing charges, or hopefully for Royce's sake dismissed entirely.

As for today's game it will be interesting to see how the ball handlers will respond with the extra duty that they have with Al's situation. Michigan state and Izzo always bring the defensive intensity. Hopefully Cobbs, Devoe, Blake, Westbrook and even Bryant Allen can shoulder the load. Who do you think will be starting in place of Al? My guess would be Devoe or Cobbs.

Free Royce

Page indicated way back on Thursday that Devoe would be starting at PG with Cobbs getting lots of minutes too.

yeah I just saw that thanks. Will Dahlman be getting minutes today? I watched his brother play a little last night for Wofford, and he seems to be their best player.

jjs...I don't know, that is Izzo's job. I'll wait and see, I guess.

Top Bottom