New Northwoods softball league

SomeGopherFan

Reaction score
The Northwoods League is launching a summer collegiate softball league for 2024. I know for baseball a lot of Gophers usually play in the Northwoods league, but there are a lot of collegiate baseball leagues across the country.

Anyone have thoughts on whether this will be a big plus for Gopher softball player development (to the extent Gophers can get on rosters)? Since this is new and there aren't other leagues like it to my knowledge, maybe it will attract a lot of interest from players across the country?

There are other leagues like this...Florida Gulf Coast league in the summer runs a competitive schedule vs other teams in the league. Teams are made up of collegiate players, most of which do not play much or those that are going (or planning on going) into the portal. Its a tough sell as the women need to pay to be in it as well as lodging. The same is true for the Northwoods league, except the draw, as it sits currently, isn't for current D1 players....the quality of play isn't there for quality improvement.

I just don't see this working.

I just don't see this working.
I do, but its going to take some time. The first year might be an issue, but I believe there are plenty of players wanting to play more. Question is though, will they be of Division 1 caliber or most of them be Division III type players. I'm not so sure what that does for the development of a Division 1 caliber player. Get confident back?

Top Bottom