New Mexico St is suspending it’s basketball season until further notice

Maybe this was the last straw?
Also the hazing is something they have complete control over administratively. The tampering with evidence and not immediately cooperating with the police is more of an external legal issue. Both are fireable offenses but the latter could take longer to dot is and cross ts. Regardless, it’s a really bad situation close to the Bliss and Baylor situation 20 odd years ago. Makes you feel good about a few phony papers.

Also the hazing is something they have complete control over administratively. The tampering with evidence and not immediately cooperating with the police is more of an external legal issue. Both are fireable offenses but the latter could take longer to dot is and cross ts. Regardless, it’s a really bad situation close to the Bliss and Baylor situation 20 odd years ago. Makes you feel good about a few phony papers.

I immediately thought of the Baylor situation as well. This program will be gutted in the next few weeks.

a bit odd that hazing shuts down the program but not coaches and other players hiding evidence from a shooting one of the Aggies was involved in
Yes, "odd" how it's "hazing" and not when one of the players shot a U of NM student after a fight, and then the team tried to cover for, and literally allowed them on the team bus to run from police, three other members that Albuquerque police wanted to question about the shooting.

Yes, odd ....

A program that got a #12 seed and upset #5 UConn in March Madness last year.

First year coach, wonder if there were issues under Jans as well?

I immediately thought of the Baylor situation as well. This program will be gutted in the next few weeks.

Not that there’s ever a “good” time for this to happen, but this is a particularly bad time for NMSU to have this issue. From the ESPN article:

“The Aggies are supposed to move into Conference USA next year… Leadership at the school is also in flux. The board of regents recently decided not to renew the contract of Chancellor Dan Arvizu, which expires in June. Over the past 14 months, both the school's president and provost have resigned or been removed from their positions.”

I’m curious if Conference USA still wants them when the dust settles. I assume they do, but it’ll be interesting to watch.

Not that there’s ever a “good” time for this to happen, but this is a particularly bad time for NMSU to have this issue. From the ESPN article:

“The Aggies are supposed to move into Conference USA next year… Leadership at the school is also in flux. The board of regents recently decided not to renew the contract of Chancellor Dan Arvizu, which expires in June. Over the past 14 months, both the school's president and provost have resigned or been removed from their positions.”

I’m curious if Conference USA still wants them when the dust settles. I assume they do, but it’ll be interesting to watch.
Clearly not just a sports reality in Las Cruces. Just a smelly situation from top to bottom. Big hole to dig out of while moving up in competition.

Clearly not just a sports reality in Las Cruces. Just a smelly situation from top to bottom. Big hole to dig out of while moving up in competition in

"hazing" can cover a wide range of behaviors. if it was serious enough to shut down the program, it had to be bad - like really bad.

but combined with the shooting incident, (understatement coming), I think there is enough here to constitute "lack of operational control."

as deaf, dumb and blind as the NCAA can be, there is no way they can let this go. there will be penalties - the question is how severe?

"hazing" can cover a wide range of behaviors. if it was serious enough to shut down the program, it had to be bad - like really bad.

but combined with the shooting incident, (understatement coming), I think there is enough here to constitute "lack of operational control."

as deaf, dumb and blind as the NCAA can be, there is no way they can let this go. there will be penalties - the question is how severe?
The gun/shooting stuff is absolutely wild. I don’t see how an underperforming first-year staff could survive this, even without the hazing stuff. I can understand that NMSU lawyers might want to see what the DA says before putting ink on paper for why they are fired and what they perceive the staff’s role was. However, the hazing situation likely provides a cut and dry way to fire them all. The excerpt below from the ESPN article just blows my mind. It reads like NMSU staff/players didn’t call the police or work with them at all. I’m curious if that is accurate or bad journalism.

After the Peake incident, multiple NMSU staffers took possession of Peake's gun and other potential evidence that was later recovered by New Mexico State police. Heiar, fearing retaliation for the shooting, left town without having three NMSU players, who'd picked Peake up after the shooting and transported him to the hospital, talk to police. Their bus was stopped on a highway as it traveled back to Las Cruces.

Lorenzo Jenkins, who serves as a special assistant to Heiar, had Peake's tablet in a backpack. An unnamed New Mexico State administrator had his phone, state police said. The gun used in the shooting was located at the team hotel in Albuquerque, where assistant coach Dominique Taylor had it wrapped in a towel after Heiar called him and told him that NMSU players Marchelus Avery, Issa Muhammad and Anthony Roy could tell him where to find the weapon.

This is New Mexico State, not Kansas or Arizona. Penalties will be debilitatingly severe.

The gun/shooting stuff is absolutely wild. I don’t see how an underperforming first-year staff could survive this, even without the hazing stuff. I can understand that NMSU lawyers might want to see what the DA says before putting ink on paper for why they are fired and what they perceive the staff’s role was. However, the hazing situation likely provides a cut and dry way to fire them all. The excerpt below from the ESPN article just blows my mind. It reads like NMSU staff/players didn’t call the police or work with them at all. I’m curious if that is accurate or bad journalism.
The ESPN story displays absolute tone deafness and complete idiocy on the part of the staff that it feels almost unbelievable in this day and age. Hard to believe it is completely true. Nevertheless, trying to dodge town before talking to police should be easily verified. Yuk.

Yes, "odd" how it's "hazing" and not when one of the players shot a U of NM student after a fight, and then the team tried to cover for, and literally allowed them on the team bus to run from police, three other members that Albuquerque police wanted to question about the shooting.

Yes, odd ....
Not defending the aftermath of the shooting (what the coaches did), but it wasn't exactly a fight. The player was lured by a female co-ed (maybe on Tinder) to come to her dorm after the game. Other guys were there to jump him and rob him. The shooting certainly appeared to be in self-defense. Coach said he was scared of retaliation and had the team hop on the bus and get out of town. What a crazy story.

Not defending the aftermath of the shooting (what the coaches did), but it wasn't exactly a fight. The player was lured by a female co-ed (maybe on Tinder) to come to her dorm after the game. Other guys were there to jump him and rob him. The shooting certainly appeared to be in self-defense. Coach said he was scared of retaliation and had the team hop on the bus and get out of town. What a crazy story.
Why would NM State be staying in Albuquerque long enough after the game for a player to go off on his own to bang some local student?? How is that even possible for players to be let off on their own at all. Don't you just shower, dress, and get directly on the team bus to leave out of the locker room?

Anyway, yes agree it is a crazy story all around.

Top Bottom