New Marcus' article - get past rebuilding stage

Let's be clear about one thing: winning has ALWAYS been the metric by which to be judged. That's why Fritz Crisler was fired here after going "only" 10-7-1 in two seasons. Obviously he ended up being a very good coach. Is Johnson someone who'll figure it out later and become a hall-of-famer like Criser? I doubt it.
Wait, you think Fritz Crisler was fired from Minnesota? That's funny - I needed the laugh today.

I’m not clicking that because saying “his challenge is tougher in the current basketball landscape” couldn’t be more wrong and nothing in the article can change that statement or make it true.

When you’re terrible the ability to overhaul a roster with proven talent is such a massive advantage. He hasn’t had an exodus of players who were good/reliable. Battle arrived and left via the portal.

Marcus is very bad at his job

100% correct!! So much easier to fill a hole or dump bad players.

Marcus will say anything to keep the guy he got hired

Wait, you think Fritz Crisler was fired from Minnesota? That's funny - I needed the laugh today.
Take it up with the Daily Gopher.

There is some question about this, but I've seen it referred to as a firing in more than one article, including one that said the natives (fans) were restless. He might have read the tea leaves and saw himself out. I wasn't alive then, so I can't say for sure.

I don't disagree with most of your post but eventually you are what you are and Pitino's horrific offense has nothing to do with CBJ. He has had a couple of bad injuries but they happened at positions of relative strength. Could you have imagine either of the last two seasons if Cooper or Willis would have missed any time?

I agree with you that he gets this season to show us who he is. However, that shouldn't get extended if he runs into injuries. It shouldn't be extended if Payne flashes.

We need to win Big 10 basketball games this year.
The roster had no positions of relative strength the first two years.

Welcome to the board. Your optimism is in the minority here but welcomed.

I offer two counterpoints. Ben’s first year, despite the last place finish, offered some hope that there was a plan and style of play we could look forward to in years to come. Solid ball movement, etc. Defensively they were bad, but I gave them a pass because they were so weak inside. That was a mistake.

Last year offered no reasonable hope that anything was really being built. They were short handed, but showed no vision of what the program would be built on. They were miserable defensively. The offense was disorganized. Most discouraging to me is that I thought the effort was poor. About the only positive sign coming into this year was a more complete roster.

While we are heading into game two, I have not seen anything to improve my outlook. I see disorganized offense, bad defense, and not great effort/out of shape players. Three years in, we should at least see a plan. I see none. I’m not sure at all what Ben wants to do.

The building the program approach isn’t working. They are not doing the things an out talented team has to do to grow. Play defense. Run a clear system. Outwork the other team consistently.

Eventually someone will write the book “Establishing Culture in the Portal Era.” It won’t be Ben.
One game, against Bethune Cookman, and you can’t see a plan? Amazing.

The biggest issue IMO is we are really in year 2 of the rebuild even though it's Johnson's 3rd season. His first year has provided little to nothing in development for the future. Most players either had just 1 year left of eligibility or transferred out right away. Ramberg is the only guy left from year 1.

Last edited:

The biggest issue IMO is we are really in year 2 of the rebuild even though it's Johnson's 3rd season. His first year has provided little to nothing in development for the future. Most players either had just 1 year left of eligibility or transferred out right away. Ramberg is the only guy left from year 1.
Ihnen and Fox! But yeah Ramberg the only one that played

Is the plan having no strengths or do we have strengths now and that's the plan?
I don’t know the plan. Neither do you. As observers we will need a lot more than one game to make judgments.

Is it the norm to lose 10+ players during coaching changes now? Did Penn State lose all their players after Pat Chambers was let go? Just off the top of my head, Indiana held onto Race Thompson and Trayce Jackson-Davis after firing Archie Miller, granted Indiana basketball probably has big NIL money available that Minnesota doesn’t.

Penn State and Chambers' was a unique circumstance. He resigned 3 weeks before the season. Those kids didn't have anywhere to go. However, they did lose 9 kids to transfer after Jim Ferry wasn't retained. Shrewsbury was able to keep Lundy, Dread and Hallar. The first two who were important pieces on a R32 team this past season. It should be noted Shrewsbury CONVINCED them to stay. All three entered the portal and withdrew their names. Then Shrewsbury brought in great pieces to have a tournament team in year two.

Johnson had every opportunity to keep Carr, Gabe, Robbins etc and either didn't want to or couldn't. And he's failed miserably in the portal thus far. Hoping this year is different.

Reminds me of Pitino’s in game plays. ‘Try to get open.’

I guess Coach P on the women’s side has a different idea on building a team.

Top Bottom