New Kid on the Block: Cameron Christie

Very excited about Cam. Glad he stuck with us after Evans bolted. The opportunity is there for him to have a big time impact with us - no doubt he'll be given every opportunity. Let's hope this staff can develop him and unleash his potential.

Go Gophers!!

Very excited about Cam. Glad he stuck with us after Evans bolted. The opportunity is there for him to have a big time impact with us - no doubt he'll be given every opportunity. Let's hope this staff can develop him and unleash his potential.

Go Gophers!!
If he earns a starting spot this year I feel like that will mean very good things for us.

I expect rotation is as important as starting this season. The hot hands of the night get more time.
If Ben proves he can effectively make substitutions on a consistent basis, it will be a big leap forward for his in game coaching ability. His first 2 seasons it felt like he was timid with the bench and playing not to lose versus thinking about long term winning. This led to overplaying of starters and under development of anyone on the bench. No excuses this year with "10 starters" in the mix for the rotation. It has me cautiously excited for this season.

The first 2 seasons there was no one to substitute. A real no win situation. This year there is incredible depth at all but center.

very excited about cam. all signs point to him being a great player for the program.

If Ben proves he can effectively make substitutions on a consistent basis, it will be a big leap forward for his in game coaching ability. His first 2 seasons it felt like he was timid with the bench and playing not to lose versus thinking about long term winning. This led to overplaying of starters and under development of anyone on the bench. No excuses this year with "10 starters" in the mix for the rotation. It has me cautiously excited for this season.
Nobody would argue that our roster wasn't a mess the past two years....but who are these underdeveloped players you speak of due to lack of playing time?

The only name I can think of is TT and a strong case could be made that no amount of playing time was going to develop him into a serviceable Big Ten player. Can't think of any others that fit that category unless there is someone I am missing.

Nobody would argue that our roster wasn't a mess the past two years....but who are these underdeveloped players you speak of due to lack of playing time?

The only name I can think of is TT and a strong case could be made that no amount of playing time was going to develop him into a serviceable Big Ten player. Can't think of any others that fit that category unless there is someone I am missing.
I think guys like Thiam, Thompson, and Ramberg definitely could have seen more minutes. If they had a consistent role, even if that was one appearance per half, I think that would have paid off later in the season. We still probably finish in last place, so why kill your starters then? The other side of this argument would be that Ben just totally failed in recruiting and could not find more than 6-7 players that could even see the floor for the first 2 seasons. Injuries have to factor in. Ben couldn't recruit enough health players either, even though that is less his fault.

I think guys like Thiam, Thompson, and Ramberg definitely could have seen more minutes. If they had a consistent role, even if that was one appearance per half, I think that would have paid off later in the season. We still probably finish in last place, so why kill your starters then? The other side of this argument would be that Ben just totally failed in recruiting and could not find more than 6-7 players that could even see the floor for the first 2 seasons. Injuries have to factor in. Ben couldn't recruit enough health players either, even though that is less his fault.
There are many aspects to playing more players. One is potential player development. The other aspects include resting starters so we have a late game chance. Conserving fouls. Keeping kids happy. Why waste a starter in a late game blow out?

Realize these are for the new players, but I find it difficult not to watch any movement Fox makes. Last segment I don’t recall the black deal on his knee.

Hoping Christie will be an early contributor. (He knew St Paul is the capital. Would have got me on Springfield, IL)

Last edited:

Realize these are for the new players, but I find it difficult not to watch any movement Fox makes. Last segment I don’t recall the black deal on his knee.

Hoping Christie will be an early contributor. (He knew St Paul is the capital. Would have got me on Springfield, IL)
It's kinesio tape. Trainers use it to stabilize joints like the knee and shoulder. Payne wore the tape on his shoulder much of last season.

There is a argument to be made about roster management and construction but I don't think you can claim lack of development.

With the roster we had last year they played the right guys. 20 min+ a game to 7 guys with 3 others in the 10+ area (Samuels, Ramberg, Thompson). I can't make a strong case that any of those 3 deserved a bigger role.

Plus there is always the factor of losing 2 guys who would have been major parts of the rotation to season ending injuries prior to each of the last two seasons.

There is no doubt we have had a limited and flawed roster in each of the past 2 seasons but on that roster the guys who deserved the most playing time were getting it.

Getting back to the topic at hand. Excited to see what Christie can do once he gets here. Looks to have really good size already.

Top Bottom