New Idea/Tradition for the stadium next year 2: The Team Entrance

grunkiejr

Mentor to 007
Reaction score
I've been thinking recently that it would be nice to have a more memorable entrance than what the Gophers currently have. This would seem to encourage the students to arrive early (I know some fans like to complain about the student section being empty in the 1st quarter) and it would create more excitement from the crowd.

For a lot of Southern Schoools their entrance is rooted in their tradition:
South Carolina: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH9cEm0VPVI
Clemson: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiOPwy_OR-8&feature=related

Another intersting one is Va Tech that uses Enter Sandman:
Virginia Tech: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rQvu2lm_cw

I would like to see the Gophers start with the band playing a song like the Imperial March that conjures up feelings of fear over what is approaching. Then as the players come out they could bust in the rouser.

When I was at Williams Brice Stadium I was shocked to learn that 2001 was NOT played by the band. The SC fans were going nuts and my friend looked at me as if to say, "what's wrong? Isn't this great?" I said "ah, sorry.. I just didn't expect it to be played over the PA system." In person it was surprisingly cheesy. I remember thinking... WFT, are we about to watch a football game or go to spce?

And at about the same time my friends at UW started refering to "Jump Around" as a "tradition," which i though was a terrible misuse of the word in dozens of ways. Despite that everyone in our generation had done the exact same dance every Friday and Satuday night at danceclubs around the country growing up... UW calls this a tradition. That's like Minnesota trying to get the fans to do the Electric Slide at the beginning of the 4th quarter, then claim that it is totally unique.

A good start will be getting the fans (particularly the students) in their seats before the team (and preferably before the band) enters the field. Hopefully being on campus will enable this to become reality.

The stadium music thread being bumped made me think of this thread from a few moths ago. Entrance Music.

Why not this version of the rouser: Fanfare with Rouser

Just as effective, but much classier than some pop song. And like all things associated with the stadium ... new, but not without a sense of history.

The stadium music thread being bumped made me think of this thread from a few moths ago. Entrance Music.

Why not this version of the rouser: Fanfare with Rouser

Just as effective, but much classier than some pop song. And like all things associated with the stadium ... new, but not without a sense of history.

Some of the band folks will have to fact check me, but I'm positive this gets played in the pregame. In fact, I'm pretty sure they play this version of the Rouser before the team enters.

What i cant believe that is there is more Old people there before a game than there is collage students.

First all to me the Clemson enterence is the best. Tennessse is pretty cool too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m5GXEantSs&feature=related

Because Minnesota doesn't have any single entrence that they can call there own you take what works from each place and add them together.

Then for the pump up video use Enter Sandman, I don't care who you are when that riff hits you rock out like crazy. Then after the video finishes up play something like MARS as you watch the team walk from the lockerroom to the tunnel on the big screen. Then you have GIANT flags, and when I was giant I mean huge. Each one of the with a letter to spell out M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A. Have one team member run out with the M and make it a huge deal and honor for the team members to run the M out.(Kinda like the lunch pail at Va Tech http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=2997449 ) But only have the M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A run out in front of the team no other cheerleaders, nothing.

When the team is ready to go cue the smoke for sure, the band hits the Rouser. Maybe add some fireworks, maybe shot off the new canon instead of that little weak thing they have right now, it will send chills down your spine every time.

I'm not sure how to do something special with the band maybe have them in a block M on th otherside of the field, have them from a tunnel but someone else can figure that out.

I vote for the cheerleaders doing the scottish war dance.

something like the twolves have.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCmCKYcE0io

love the "thrilling" buildup. minus the Bad song choice, needs something more 'pump up'. we could start with this to announce to the crowd they are starting to leave the lockerroom. then go into a song such as Enter Sandman as the team walks to the tunnel and comes out. maybe switch to the rouser when they actually get on the field, and run through a M made by the band.

Killing in the Name Of by Rage Against the Machine is a BA song. While some of the parts would not be apporiate for a family enviroment thats a song that will get you pumped.

Phil Collins - In the Air Tonight

That song gets me PUMPED.

Some of the band folks will have to fact check me, but I'm positive this gets played in the pregame. In fact, I'm pretty sure they play this version of the Rouser before the team enters.

Back when I was in the band (around 1990), we used this version of the fanfare and Rouser to expand the block M. It was my second favorite part of the pregame, right behind the Battle Hymn.

I'm not sure what the best song would be, but I know how they should come of the tunnel.

They need to construct a huge bank gold vault door with matallic maroon trim, and in the center of the "wheel mechanism" on the front would be the "M". When the team was going to come out the mothratron would be focused on the door. The wheel would start to spin on it's own (or with goldy starting the turn) and the door swings open with loud "vault door mechanism noises" cranked up and a huge gust of smoke/fog machine come billowing out of the opening. The team would come charging out of the open vault to take the field. At the end of the game as the last players left the field, the door would swing back shut with the same noises and would lock our rewon trophies back in the Gopher Vault.

Obviously, the vault door would be a very light weight replica, but it could look very realistic, and I think the effect would be pretty cool. I'm not a huge fan of the "TCF Bank/Vault" thing, but you have to work with what you've got, and Gold does belong in the Vault.

GO GOPHERS!

I'm not sure what the best song would be, but I know how they should come of the tunnel.

They need to construct a huge bank gold vault door with matallic maroon trim, and in the center of the "wheel mechanism" on the front would be the "M". When the team was going to come out the mothratron would be focused on the door. The wheel would start to spin on it's own (or with goldy starting the turn) and the door swings open with loud "vault door mechanism noises" cranked up and a huge gust of smoke/fog machine come billowing out of the opening. The team would come charging out of the open vault to take the field. At the end of the game as the last players left the field, the door would swing back shut with the same noises and would lock our rewon trophies back in the Gopher Vault.

Obviously, the vault door would be a very light weight replica, but it could look very realistic, and I think the effect would be pretty cool. I'm not a huge fan of the "TCF Bank/Vault" thing, but you have to work with what you've got, and Gold does belong in the Vault.

GO GOPHERS!

No, no, no! Nothing with a Bank theme. It won't fit if TCF is no longer the sponsor, plus it has nothing to do with our tradition or history. There are plenty of other ideas to work with. Even the inflatable tunnel at least ties to the state. I don't think we need a prop for the entrance. A good entrance song/video montage will do the trick. Throw in some smoke and some fireworks and you're good.

GO GOPHERS!

Wow as completely dorky and cheesy as that sounds I like it. I know it has to do with a bank/vault and it will mostly likely lead to a nickname like "The Vault" but it's creative and no one else will have anything like it. I say do it. Or atleast use that as kinda a theme for a pump up video.

Yeah, Fanfare/Pageant/Rouser is played for the Block M expansion

Just come on the field as a team. Have the band play the Rouser. Then win the football game. That would be the greatest tradition of all. Keep it simple. Who needs the fake excitement stuff? Win the ball game. That will do more to promote excitement at TCF BANK STADIUM than anything cute or fancy or catchy will ever do. Music blaring through some big speakers on a big screen leaves me cold. That is too much like an NFL production. Keep it old school college football. There should be no music in that stadium that is not played by the Marching Band. This is going to be a college football stadium, isn't it?

In a way I am upset that they are putting in such a big screen scoreboard that is second in size only to the one at the University of Texas.

They could learn a thing or two from the simplicity that Notre Dame uses in their stadium on Game Day Saturdays. You know, the marching band and not too much NFL-type hype. No huge screen instant replay stuff. Just play the game. Play good solid football. No hype is needed.

In a way I am upset that they are putting in such a big screen scoreboard that is second in size only to the one at the University of Texas.

You had me agreeing with the rest of the post. But...I love the big video board.

They could learn a thing or two from the simplicity that Notre Dame uses in their stadium on Game Day Saturdays. You know, the marching band and not too much NFL-type hype. No huge screen instant replay stuff. Just play the game. Play good solid football. No hype is needed.

Heaven forbid we see a replay...

That board is not there just for the replay. It is there to be an ad machine. It is also there to blast piped-in-music and ear-shattering commericals at the captive fan. I really don't like the idea of paying what ever I decide to pay for my season tickets and then having the worst of the electronic age blasted at me. It will be too much like being in the dome for my tastes.

Big Ten football should be timeless as far as I am concerned. However, it will be what will be and they have already brought some of the worst elements of the dome into the new stadium by having that screen dominate the beauty of the stadium...the overall appearance of the stadium. And, that stadium does have a lot of beauty and timelesness in it's presence. The big screen draws too much attention to itself.

I was merely commenting on what I consider to be the most disappointing aspect of the new stadium as far as I am concerned.

Have you never sat through a game at Purdue with that incessent "boiler-up" noise being blasted at you? I don't like big screen electronic advertising machines dominating a Big Ten Stadium. It will never be a good thing as far as I am concerned.

That board is not there just for the replay. It is there to be an ad machine. It is also there to blast piped-in-music and ear-shattering commericals at the captive fan. I really don't like the idea of paying what ever I decide to pay for my season tickets and then having the worst of the electronic age blasted at me. It will be too much like being in the dome for my tastes.

Big Ten football should be timeless as far as I am concerned. However, it will be what will be and they have already brough some of the worst elements of the dome into the new stadium by having that screed dominate the beauty of the stadium. And, that stadium does have a lot of beauty and timelesness in it's presence.

I was merely commenting on what I consider to be the most disappointing aspect of the new stadium as far as I am concerned.

Have you never sat through a game at Purdue with that incessent "boiler-up" noise being blasted at you? I don't like big screen electronic advertising machines dominating a Big Ten Stadium. It will never be a good thing as far as I am concerned.

Got to love old people who hate technology...
You like to whine a lot. For someone who hates the gameday experience so much, its a wonder why you still have your tickets.

I like the idea of the "pumping up" the crowd with a song, maybe with Thunderstruck by AC/DC but I like the whole band aspect of it. When the whole crowd is in unison yelling M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A at the beginning of the game, it's amazing.

I think a round of MINN - E - SOT- A before they came out would be cool too.

Well, gopherguy05: you are a senior member and I am a junior member. I guess you would be considered to be an oldtimer around here. ; 0 )

Classic beauty and timelesness are not all bad. You have got what you want in your big screen. It just brings too much of the dome into the new stadium for my tastes.

Big Ten football should be timeless as far as I am concerned. However, it will be what will be and they have already brought some of the worst elements of the dome into the new stadium by having that screen dominate the beauty of the stadium...the overall appearance of the stadium. And, that stadium does have a lot of beauty and timelesness in it's presence. The big screen draws too much attention to itself.

I agree, ads are bad. But if timeless means small football budget and losing then I'll take the big board for 1000 Alex.

We are not Mich or ND. They can afford to be "timeless" (i.e. crappy, er classic, scoreboards that don't have tons of ads) because they haven't gone through 40 years in the wilderness. The ads will annoy the $%&#% out of me but it won't dampen the rest of the experience.

I agree, ads are bad. But if timeless means small football budget and losing then I'll take the big board for 1000 Alex.

We are not Mich or ND. They can afford to be "timeless" (i.e. crappy, er classic, scoreboards that don't have tons of ads) because they haven't gone through 40 years in the wilderness. The ads will annoy the $%&#% out of me but it won't dampen the rest of the experience.

Here's an "ATTA BOY" for ya! I'm in on the big board with ya!

And one more thought... I'm excited and concerned about the big scoreboard, but lets see what the gameday experience is actually like for a whole season before we start bitching about things. I for one think there are going to be about 1000 good things I will like for every one bad thing I don't like....

I'm excited!

Top Bottom