New Divisions Around Time Zone and November Night Games

I've always liked the Missouri idea. In fact I would rather have them than Nebraska.

As far as team 16, I don't think there is another 'Midwestern' team that fits the bill....yes Notre Dame, but we've screwed around with them long enough and they really don't add to the footprint at this time. I suppose Kansas maybe.

If we look east and concentrate on TV sets, we have Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia.

Good points. Not sure there is a natural fit in the Midwest either but would prefer it here. I agree that Notre Dame isn't coming - especially now that they made it to the BCS title game without a league affiliation. Only way that happens is if the NCAA/BCS mandates you have to be in a conference to make it to the playoffs (highly unlikely).

Forgot about Kansas, but like Oklahoma, not sure they leave K State behind.

If we have to go east, I do like Virginia.

Although it could be negotiated, Missouri's SEC's exit fee is $50 million. This after paying the Big 12 exit fee of $12.4 million. Why would Missouri want to leave the SEC anyway? Just a question...

Although it could be negotiated, Missouri's SEC's exit fee is $50 million. This after paying the Big 12 exit fee of $12.4 million. Why would Missouri want to leave the SEC anyway? Just a question...

Didn't realize the buy-out was so steep. Probably an issue. As to why, having lived in St. Louis and having a couple nephews attending Mizzou, I can tell you that the SEC is not a great cultural fit for them. They really have a Midwest mentality and desperately wanted to join the BiG when Nebraska got the offer. Maybe it is too late based on info above.

Seems like the Big three that are forming at least from a football standpoint are the Big Ten, Pac 12 and SEC. The Big 12, ACC and Big East are struggling to keep up (again referring to football, basketball is a different story). I agree that now that they are in the SEC it is unlikely that Missouri would be looking to move again even if the Big Ten is a little bit more natural fit overall.

As for future expansion, doubt the conference goes West much do the the Pac 12 so that leaves East and South. Clearly Texas will be a big fish for someone to snag if the Big 12 falls apart completely.

I want every, and I mean EVERY, Gopher Home Game at TCF to start at midnight Saturday. Just think of the positive ramifications of this...

Students: No problem with hangovers from Friday nights.

Tailgating: Would be brought to new heights regarding length of time and menus.

Beer Tent: Keep it open until 1:45 a.m.

Old Timers: Old Timers like station19 and me could get in a damn good nap before the game, we would be ready to rock and roll with a new pack of Depends to get us thru the game.

I want every, and I mean EVERY, Gopher Home Game at TCF to start at midnight Saturday. Just think of the positive ramifications of this...

Students: No problem with hangovers from Friday nights.

Tailgating: Would be brought to new heights regarding length of time and menus.

Beer Tent: Keep it open until 1:45 a.m.

Old Timers: Old Timers like station19 and me could get in a damn good nap before the game, we would be ready to rock and roll with a new pack of Depends to get us thru the game.

No.

ESPN: Earlier league games on agenda for B1G

But the prospect of scheduling league games earlier in the season -- rather than after most or all non-league games are played -- generated interest at the recent athletic directors' meeting at Big Ten headquarters. Other major conferences play league games in early to mid September -- sometimes even in the season opener -- and the Big Ten soon could join them.

"We need to look at that, what our best inventory looks like," Northwestern athletic director Jim Phillips told ESPN.com. "If we're going to have seven conference games for nine weeks, why wouldn't we want to consider spreading that out over the course of the season, as well as some great nonconference scheduling?"

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/71509/earlier-league-games-on-agenda-for-b1g

Go Gophers!!

Don't be so hard on Dr.Don. He just finished shoveling out all that snow you refused to take in Alexandria. And to make things worse, he was stuck in Moorhead because they closed the road to Alexandria. As a result all he could do was stand by his chain link fence and try to carry on a conversation with Fargo. That resulted with him getting snow blindness. It hasn't been easy for Dr.Don.

Don't be so hard on Dr.Don. He just finished shoveling out all that snow you refused to take in Alexandria. And to make things worse, he was stuck in Moorhead because they closed the road to Alexandria. As a result all he could do was stand by his chain link fence and try to carry on a conversation with Fargo. That resulted with him getting snow blindness. It hasn't been easy for Dr.Don.

We had over 12 inches and now we are getting that Calcutta Clipper.

Teague was on 1500 today and they asked a few questions about this - this is not verbatim, but close to it:

Teague on 9 or 10 BT conference football games…I bet it will probably be 9 but maybe 10. I don’t know when it will happen. We still have to vet a lot of schedules and see where we are. A decision will probably be made in the Spring. I’m thinking it will happen in 2016.

Teague on how football coaches feel about 9 or 10 BT conference football games…We (ADs) were in meetings together yesterday and we didn’t really discuss that. I think for the most part I think they understand with the added teams in the league. That’s my guess, but we didn’t bring it up to be honest with you.

http://www.1500espn.com/ondemand/

Go Gophers!!

We had over 12 inches and now we are getting that Calcutta Clipper.

Millerville beat you with 14 inches and was on KARE News. Alexandria did make the news here though with the closing of I-94 west at Alexandria.

Feel free to keep your Calcutta Clipper there or better yet send it back to Don. Take care and wear warm cloths.

Time zone conferences don't necesarily mean no 11:00 a.m. starts for Central time zone teams. Likely BTN and ESPN will still require most of Minnesota's games to be played at 11:00. Or did I miss something here?

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I really like the 11:00 am starts.

I've been a season ticket holder since I graduated from the U in the mid-80s, and I'm quite passionate about the Maroon and Gold, but I also love college football in general. I live in the outskirts of the metro area, so I can get to an establishment in Dinkytown or Stadium Village at 9:00 for breakfast and drinks, watch the Gophers, and be home in time for most of the 2:30 games and all the night games.

If it's a 2:30 start, I have to leave the house well before the 11:00 games are done, and I get home after the start of the night games.

Of course, in my humble opinion, a 7:00 pm kickoff for every home game would trump all of the above. Night games are just really cool.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I really like the 11:00 am starts.

I've been a season ticket holder since I graduated from the U in the mid-80s, and I'm quite passionate about the Maroon and Gold, but I also love college football in general. I live in the outskirts of the metro area, so I can get to an establishment in Dinkytown or Stadium Village at 9:00 for breakfast and drinks, watch the Gophers, and be home in time for most of the 2:30 games and all the night games.

If it's a 2:30 start, I have to leave the house well before the 11:00 games are done, and I get home after the start of the night games.

Of course, in my humble opinion, a 7:00 pm kickoff for every home game would trump all of the above. Night games are just really cool.

Since I'm on a LOT of ignore lists :)o ) this isn't going to help you but yeah, our crew does too. Breakfast, Gophers in person and then a LOT more football afterwords. We'll head back to the house after the game. We've got four televisions going and we end-up doing more "tailgating" after the game than before it. That being said personally I'd rather wait the hour until noon, but I'm fine with 11:00 too. I just don't like the 2:30 games. Can't watch the morning games, can't see the afternoon games and miss the start of the good night games.

add two Central time zone teams.... Oklahoma and Missouri for example...

I'd go with Missouri and Vanderbilt. Who wouldn't want to spend a potential road game weekend in Nashville? Vanderbilt in particular would fit better academically in the B1G than the SEC. Probably Missouri as well.

One issue with 11 a.m. Starts is that they conflict with youth sports. My youngster is in diapers but I notice the conflict when inviting guests. 2:30 or 7:00 are less of a problem. We need to care about our fans at each point in their life. Students need fun, young grads need affordability, parents need a schedule that works, retires need tradition and great destinations, etc.

One issue with 11 a.m. Starts is that they conflict with youth sports. My youngster is in diapers but I notice the conflict when inviting guests. 2:30 or 7:00 are less of a problem. We need to care about our fans at each point in their life. Students need fun, young grads need affordability, parents need a schedule that works, retires need tradition and great destinations, etc.

Spot on. My kid has Saturday morning sports. College students hate it. Mornings kill not only attendance but attracting new, younger people to the program for the long term.

Teague was on 1500 today and they asked a few questions about this - this is not verbatim, but close to it:

Teague on 9 or 10 BT conference football games…I bet it will probably be 9 but maybe 10. I don’t know when it will happen. We still have to vet a lot of schedules and see where we are. A decision will probably be made in the Spring. I’m thinking it will happen in 2016.

Teague on how football coaches feel about 9 or 10 BT conference football games…We (ADs) were in meetings together yesterday and we didn’t really discuss that. I think for the most part I think they understand with the added teams in the league. That’s my guess, but we didn’t bring it up to be honest with you.

http://www.1500espn.com/ondemand/

Go Gophers!!

Kinda off topic, but is Teague doing a lot more of these kind of interviews than Maturi? Seems like it.

Top Bottom