New Divisions Around Time Zone and November Night Games

Iceland12

Reaction score
The ESPN B1G Blog is on fire!

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten

"Most Big Ten athletic directors entered their meetings Sunday and Monday at league headquarters thinking that geography would drive the discussion about the soon-to-be revamped football divisions.

When the ADs emerged from the meetings, their sentiment hadn't changed.

"This time, it's geography that's probably the No. 1 priority," Northwestern athletic director Jim Phillips told ESPN.com.

"We wanted to try and find a way to be geographic in our divisions," Ohio State AD Gene Smith said.

"There's nothing unanimous about this," added league commissioner Jim Delany, "but there's strong support for geography."

Although the Big Ten presented the athletic directors -- and several university presidents who came to the league office Sunday -- with several models for divisions, don't be surprised if the league decides to keep things simple with an East-West alignment following the additions of both Maryland and Rutgers in 2014. The simplest solution -- one the athletic directors are discussing -- is to assign teams based on their time zone (Eastern or Central).

The lone caveat: there will be eight Big Ten teams in the Eastern time zone -- Maryland, Rutgers, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana and Purdue -- and only six in the Central time zone (Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Northwestern and Illinois). So one team from the Eastern time zone would need to move. "

- - - - - - - - - -

"The Big Ten has traditionally been reluctant to stage night games in November. That could be changing.

League coaches expressed support for more primetime games in the final full month of the regular season during conference meetings the past two days. Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany told ESPN.com that the conference has no objection if schools want to schedule more night games in general, including ones in November.

Delany said Penn State, Nebraska and Ohio State are among the schools that have been pushing for more games under the lights.

"We've been very supportive of night games," Delany said. "We've gone from zero to 15, and our television partners like them if it's the right game. ...

"So there seems to be more of an openness to open that window on the game-day experience, whether it's in November or October. We won't stand in the way. We just have to figure out the best way to do it, but I think there's value there."

Though the Big Ten doesn't have a specific policy against November night games, it hasn't exactly been encouraged, either. The last Big Ten night game in November was in 2008 when Iowa went to Minnesota. And that was played in the Metrodome."

Uh, that didn't go very well..

A lot of good news for one day. If I had to guess I'd say 75% of us favor more big ten games, night games in November, and geographic alignment.

Does anyone feel like the time zone thing is basically them not wanting to acknowledge the fans got the east/west divisions right? Watch them form the East and Central divisions.

I love all of it. I'm still hoping for 10-game schedules, but 9 would at least be an improvement.

+2

The earliest game should get moved to 12 CTD, have two to three night games every single week, limit the amount of times the central time zone teams even have to play at noon.

Lets liven up the atmosphere across the Big 10.

I actually thought this was a spoof article...it made so much sense and it is exactly what fans have been asking for so I thought there was no chance Delany was behind these ideas.

Then I thought this would be an awfully niche article for The Onion to write and thought it might actually be true. This is great!

Does anyone feel like the time zone thing is basically them not wanting to acknowledge the fans got the east/west divisions right? Watch them form the East and Central divisions.

I think it's got more to do with the Central time universities hating the 11 am starts. If they can group the Eastern time universities together, they can give them most of the early games since it starts at noon for them.

It would be great if the time zone switch resulted in two games of the week, one in the east and one in the west.

Changing to time zones and having as many night games as possible - Definitely. Only one thing left for them to screw up...Division Names!

Eastern Leaders and Western Legends

I've never understood the rigidity of the 11/2:30/7 Central Time Zone start times.

It seems like ESPN/ABC decided to use these start times however many years ago, and the BTN copied them exactly. You'd think the BTN could get more viewers if they staggered. Do we really need that dead zone between 6 and 7 without football?

I like the time zone thing and not just becuase it significant'y weakens our division. A little surprised to see a proposal with Michigan and OSU on the same side of the conference. Would have to think under that proposal that Michigan State, Purdue, or Indiana would be the team to move to our side. Don't think they can move Michigan and have both OSU and MSU on the other side from them.

All for more night games regardless of the time of year.

The ESPN B1G Blog is on fire!

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten

Although the Big Ten presented the athletic directors -- and several university presidents who came to the league office Sunday -- with several models for divisions, don't be surprised if the league decides to keep things simple with an East-West alignment following the additions of both Maryland and Rutgers in 2014. The simplest solution -- one the athletic directors are discussing -- is to assign teams based on their time zone (Eastern or Central).

The lone caveat: there will be eight Big Ten teams in the Eastern time zone -- Maryland, Rutgers, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana and Purdue -- and only six in the Central time zone (Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Northwestern and Illinois). So one team from the Eastern time zone would need to move. "

one the athletic directors are discussing -- is to assign teams based on their time zone
Why do they insist on over-thinking these things?

The lone caveat: there will be eight Big Ten teams in the Eastern time zone
Oh Lord, how can we ever solve this terrible problem?

One thing I hope they don't do is some cross-sectional game. If they go to 9 conference games, that allows for 3 games across. You won't see some teams for a long time unless they stage it somehow where you don't necessarly play a team home one season & away the next.

Then again, I don't know if you could get MSU to come over without a guarantee that they get to play Michigan or Purdue gets to play Indiana so it may be difficult unless somebody in the east is willing to give something up OR either Rutgers or Maryland are the one, which I'm sure they won't like since the allure of having playing PSU, OSU & MI is too high.

Could they do something where there's only one cross-sectional game, like they send Purdue to the west, but they're guaranteed to play Indiana, but that's the only crossover game? Or would that not be fair?

Solve it then. I'm all ears.

Michigan State come over? Not without a guarantee to play Michigan.
Indiana? Not without a Purdue guarantee.
Purdue? Same as above.
Rutgers or Maryland? PSU, MI & OSU are filling their stadiums every other year. Much too attractive over Wisconsin, Nebraska & Iowa.

It may be difficult without crossover rivals. And then you're not seeing some teams too much. I may not get up too much for Purdue or Indiana, but they are still Big Ten teams that I want to see the Gophers play.

Michigan State come over? Not without a guarantee to play Michigan.
Indiana? Not without a Purdue guarantee.
Purdue? Same as above.
Rutgers or Maryland? PSU, MI & OSU are filling their stadiums every other year. Much too attractive over Wisconsin, Nebraska & Iowa.

It may be difficult without crossover rivals. And then you're not seeing some teams too much. I may not get up too much for Purdue or Indiana, but they are still Big Ten teams that I want to see the Gophers play.

Yeah the whole cross divisional aspect does throw a bit of a monkey wrench because with this realinment there will be at least one rivalry that will be split and have to be preserved somehow. To me the one that makes the most sense geographically is splitting Indiana and Purdue but setting it up that they will always play each other. Would mean less rotation of cross divisional names for those schools but in the end I think preserving the rivalry would be most important.

Well how about if we take the most western of those eight schools and put them in the West(or call it Central for whatever stupid reason). I think that should do it.

Anytime you split into divisions, you are going to have certain issues. There is no perfect solution.

One solution to consider is selected cross-over games. Schools located along the split line would be more inclined to have a cross-over game. Teams on the edges of the conference, not so likely.

Or Mich and MSU could just have their government pass a policy that they play a non-conference game in years they are not scheduled to play in conference play.

If the Conference goes to 9 or 10 league games, a guaranteed cross-over game softens the "blow" of not seeing some teams for a while. The State of Indiana used to have two time zones until 2008. I think they can manage the Indiana/Purdue thing. Purdue is closer to Evanston and Champaign, so I suggest Purdue in the West.

I wouldn't even have a problem with Purdue and Indiana playing every year and the other 12 teams rotating annually. It would actually help the rotation move more quickly, except for the two aforementioned.

I don't think that crossover games are going to play a huge role in how this sets up. It's just a hunch on my part, but once they decide how they're going to have to split the 14 teams, that'll probably change a couple of years down the road when they go to 16 teams (or more).

NCAA football is positioning itself to make in roads to the NFL $. These 2 leagues have played nice for years regardless of the NFL having the leverage since 1960 but things are changing.

add two Central time zone teams.... Oklahoma and Missouri for example...

add two Central time zone teams.... Oklahoma and Missouri for example...

Just a hunch but it might be a little more complicated then that when it comes to adding teams to the conference. :cool:

NCAA football is positioning itself to make in roads to the NFL $. These 2 leagues have played nice for years regardless of the NFL having the leverage since 1960 but things are changing.

College football on Sundays?

Just a hunch but it might be a little more complicated then that when it comes to adding teams to the conference. :cool:

Although I'm not a big fan of the delution of the BiG brand, I think it's inevitable that they go to 16 teams. I would like to see them in the central/mountain time zone as well.

I think Missouri is a no-brainer as they fit the conference, they would bring in KC and St. Louis and I think they would jump at the chance as they originally wanted the Nebraska slot and I don't think they feel all the comfortable in the SEC.

That brings us to team 16. I don't really like Oklahoma there and not sure they would leave OK State behind. From a geographic standpoint, Iowa State works great, they would have a great natural rivarly with Iowa, MN, Neb, MO but they don't bring TV viewers. Another possibilty would be Colorado. Not sure how I feel about them but they fit the profile of a large state land grant university.

Although I'm not a big fan of the delution of the BiG brand, I think it's inevitable that they go to 16 teams. I would like to see them in the central/mountain time zone as well.

I think Missouri is a no-brainer as they fit the conference, they would bring in KC and St. Louis and I think they would jump at the chance as they originally wanted the Nebraska slot and I don't think they feel all the comfortable in the SEC.

That brings us to team 16. I don't really like Oklahoma there and not sure they would leave OK State behind. From a geographic standpoint, Iowa State works great, they would have a great natural rivarly with Iowa, MN, Neb, MO but they don't bring TV viewers. Another possibilty would be Colorado. Not sure how I feel about them but they fit the profile of a large state land grant university.

I've always liked the Missouri idea. In fact I would rather have them than Nebraska.

As far as team 16, I don't think there is another 'Midwestern' team that fits the bill....yes Notre Dame, but we've screwed around with them long enough and they really don't add to the footprint at this time. I suppose Kansas maybe.

If we look east and concentrate on TV sets, we have Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia.

+2

The earliest game should get moved to 12 CTD, have two to three night games every single week, limit the amount of times the central time zone teams even have to play at noon.

Lets liven up the atmosphere across the Big 10.

I agree. One thing the NFL has done right is the game times. Games are 3 hours long. They start at noon, three, and seven. Why can't the Big Ten figure something like this out, noon, 2:30-3:30, and a 6:30-7:30 game slot.

I am not using facts, but just memory. It seems like the Big Ten has every game start at 11, and then 1 at 2:30 and 1 night game. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Top Bottom