New Clock Rule Passed

MaxyJR1

Reaction score

"The NCAA is expected to approve today rules changes proposed earlier this year that will allow the clock to run after first downs are achieved in all divisions except Division III, CBS Sports has learned. The clock will continue to stop after first downs during the final two minutes of each half. "

Last edited:

Overall, I like the rule change, especially for the Gophers/Fleck who like to shorten the game as much as possible.

I am ok with keeping it for the last 2 minutes of each half, but would have preferred 2nd half only.

Yep, keep making it more and more like the NFL and see what happens to the fans who LOVED the alternative to the NFL....
I can't think of too many people that like college football because the clock stops after a 1st down at the 8:00 mark of the 3rd quarter.

I don't think it's that big of a deal, especially in games teams like the Gophers play.

Overall, I like the rule change, especially for the Gophers/Fleck who like to shorten the game as much as possible.

I am ok with keeping it for the last 2 minutes of each half, but would have preferred 2nd half only.
Doesn't affect the way that PJ likes to shorten the game. It hampers teams that want to preserve time.

They need to put in a 2 minute warning or something similar. As it is now, a first down on a play that ends at 2:01 results in a running clock and the next play getting snapped ~1:50. A first down on a play that ends at 2:00 results in a stopped clock. A 2 minute warning or even just an automatic clock stoppage solves that.

Guess i don't really see this as that big a deal. The clock only stops on first down right now until the ball is set so it isn't like the old rule from years ago where the clock stopped on first down until the next snap.

And as others have pointed out it doesn't affect the last 2 minutes of the half or game.

If the goal is to shorten games, then they need less commercial time. I don’t like shortening the actual game.
This really won't do a whole lot to change the length of the game. Clock wasn't stopped that long due to first downs anyway.

And has been discussed numerous times, the easiest way to shorten games would be to cut back on commercials but we all know that is a non-starter for the people making the decisions.

This really won't do a whole lot to change the length of the game. Clock wasn't stopped that long due to first downs anyway.

And has been discussed numerous times, the easiest way to shorten games would be to cut back on commercials but we all know that is a non-starter for the people making the decisions.
The shorter MLB games are certainly more appealing this year. Wish they could get rid of some of the stoppages and/or length of stoppages in college football.

This change will shorten the game if the keepers of the markers are able to move fast enough to have the sticks set as soon as the players are ready to snap the ball.
A 30 yard play resulting a first down down will require a sprint.
If the powers that be were really interested in improving the fans at the game experience they would get most of the TV ads played at the break in between quarters, half time, injury time outs and during the interminible time out for replay.
Soccer can do it, why not college football?

This change will shorten the game if the keepers of the markers are able to move fast enough to have the sticks set as soon as the players are ready to snap the ball.
If the powers that be were really interested in improving the fans at the game experience they would get most of the TV ads played at the break in between quarters, half time, injury time outs and during the interminible time out for replay.
Soccer does have ads on the jerseys and ads around the perimeter of the field as a way to make up for lack of commercials. Would college football fans be ok with that?

Technically the yard markers can go at whatever pace they want. Even with the clock moving, the ball isn't in play until the official signals everyone is ready - defensive subs, chains, other officials, etc.

I'm in favor of the rule change. It will shorten up the game but you'll still get the college clock stoppage rule the last two minutes of each half.

This is not a popular opinion, but one of the things the NFL has done really well is clock management. You know going into the game the game is going to be approximately 3 hours. College can be anywhere from 3 hours to 4+ hours.

Soccer does have ads on the jerseys and ads around the perimeter of the field as a way to make up for lack of commercials. Would college football fans be ok with that?
Would also assume soccer has SIGNIFICANTLY smaller TV contracts.

I think fans would be fine with the things you mentioned. The people in charge....yeah not so much :)

Would also assume soccer has SIGNIFICANTLY smaller TV contracts.

I think fans would be fine with the things you mentioned. The people in charge....yeah not so much :)
I believe the English Premier League TV contract is larger than the NFL but it's really hard to compare European "football" and American football in terms of revenue (due to lack of other sports-viewing competition in Europe). The MLS TV contract here is for sure less than all the college football tv contracts, but hard to compare that too as MLS is pretty far down the pecking order in terms of American's favorites.

Most games usually see between 40-50 first downs total, each time the clock stops for about 5 seconds. So we're talking about 4 minutes less. Maybe a bit more in games featuring hurry up offenses and maybe a little less when it's a slower game pace.

I can't think of too many people that like college football because the clock stops after a 1st down at the 8:00 mark of the 3rd quarter.
In and of itself, of course not. But add up all these little changes over the past 20 years or so and eventually one will be the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak.

For example, I loved college replay 20 years ago. Every play was immediately reviewed by the booth to see if it needed further examination, and 99% of the time it didn't, so play just kept going. If it did, THEY would stop the game and just do the review. Then they switched over to NFL replay....

Slowly but surely us diehards are being driven off.

Two pick sixes, and a scoop and score for the D; two fields for the O. TOP 24 minutes. Victory.
"In February, AD Gary Barta trimmed Ferentz’s salary by $50,000, halted the coordinator’s two-year contract rollover and demanded the offense score at least 25 points a game."

Most games usually see between 40-50 first downs total, each time the clock stops for about 5 seconds. So we're talking about 4 minutes less. Maybe a bit more in games featuring hurry up offenses and maybe a little less when it's a slower game pace.
To me, the time "savings" have nothing to do with it. Just the fact that it's another move that makes it look more like the NFL is what brings me down about it.

It will speed the clock up about 8 seconds per first down that is not out of bounds. Chains and markers are all run like the NFL and it won't even be noticed. As others have said, if the offense subs, they can't snap the ball until the defense has a chance to sub. Refs have been starting the clock as soon as the umpire/center judge have the ball until the last 2 minutes of the game anyway.

I'm in favor of the rule change. It will shorten up the game but you'll still get the college clock stoppage rule the last two minutes of each half.

This is not a popular opinion, but one of the things the NFL has done really well is clock management. You know going into the game the game is going to be approximately 3 hours. College can be anywhere from 3 hours to 4+ hours.
Who cares? You get a handful of games a year and your argument is to actually eliminate gameplay?

Top Bottom