New book: KU/Roy turned down Humphries because "he was an absolute jerk"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
"In Keith Langford's words ...

RESPECT FOR ROY

Most people don’t know this, but we had a lot of recruits take visits here, guys that are in the NBA right now, that Roy turned down. He would talk to us after their visit and ask us if we thought the guy would be a good fit. That was Roy's thing: It wasn’t always about getting the highest-rated recruits. It was about getting guys who were the best fit for what was going on.

Kris Humphries came on a visit and tried to commit. He really wanted to come here. But no one on the team liked Kris Humphries. He was arrogant. He told everyone he was going to come in and be the leading scorer as a freshman and that we’d all have to take a backseat to him. We were trying to be respectful and not say anything. But he was an absolute jerk. It was tough, because Roy was really excited about him. Kris Humphries was a big deal. He was a one-and-done or a two-and-done kind of player. Roy wanted him to commit on his visit. But we told him, "Coach, you can't bring this guy in. You can't do it." You'd figure Roy would say something like, “Let’s work on him,” or “Let’s give him another chance.” Instead he told Humphries, “Sorry, but you can’t come.” Bill Self did the same thing years later with Terrence Williams."

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2011/sep/21/beyond-phog-excerpt-keith-langford-roy-williams-kr/

Go Gophers!!

Roy's gotta be kicking himself now. Cost him an invite to a Kardashian wedding.

Doesn't surprise me at all.Contact I had with his Father makes me understand why he was that way.

Bleed

I am always amazed at your posts/links.

You will single-handidly bring down google.

thanks again.

Roy's gotta be kicking himself now. Cost him an invite to a Kardashian wedding.

Lol

Nice find Bleed but it doesnt surprise me, I havent heard too many good things about Mr. Kardashian's short stay with the Gophers.

Interesting story, also incredibly unsurprising. He is a "gopher" that I have no respect for.

The Hump

I am still resentful about the 03-04 season. Adam Boone, Mo Hargrow, and company got shafted by the his selfishness and Goober's lack of coaching.

That said, I had the (mis)fortune of watching several episodes of the Kardashian reality show. Kris comes accross like a mature and well-rounded individual, especially compared to Kim and her siblings (Khloe is the worst!).

He has obviously grown a lot in the last 8 years. I think we are all a little jealous, I mean, Kim is freakin' hot.

The best thing about Ol' Roy's recruiting is that he goes after not only good ball players, but good people.

When you win year in and year out, and half of the top 50 high school players in the country want to commit to your program each year, you can afford to do this. There are only a few programs that can: KU, UNC, Duke.

I am still resentful about the 03-04 season. Adam Boone, Mo Hargrow, and company got shafted by the his selfishness and Goober's lack of coaching.

That said, I had the (mis)fortune of watching several episodes of the Kardashian reality show. Kris comes accross like a mature and well-rounded individual, especially compared to Kim and her siblings (Khloe is the worst!).

You actually watch that show? Wow! I with Kris would have never been a Gopher.

↓↓↓ Very nisse, I like that one. ↓↓↓

He has obviously grown a lot in the last 8 years. I think we are all a little jealous, I mean, Kim is freakin' hot.

The worst Gopher team ever, I think Monson was done after that.

I don't think I ever had the desire to live in a fishbowl.

I'm not saying Kris was a great guy but I'm really struggling to believe Kris made those comments to the team. I believe he was arrogant and annoying but I don't think he really said, he was going to be "this or that" for the Jayhawks. I do agree with Jovs that it was an awful Gopher team primarily because of his and his dad's behavior.

I'm not saying Kris was a great guy but I'm really struggling to believe Kris made those comments to the team. I believe he was arrogant and annoying but I don't think he really said, he was going to be "this or that" for the Jayhawks. I do agree with Jovs that it was an awful Gopher team primarily because of his and his dad's behavior.

I think he probably said them, and he has a major ego, but part of his comments were half ego and half joking around in a competitive sense.

Is it me or did Kris looked bigger in high school then he does now? Wondering if he was on the Barry Bonds diet way back when! Just sayin....

Also, KU isn't the only school that didn't want him. After Kris signed with Duke he and his father went to Coach K and made cetain demands (Start, touches, ect) Coach K deamed Humphries too good for Duke and gladly released him from his scholarship.

Top Bottom