New Assistant- Jeff Mailhot

I wanted a coach who is known for being great at teaching team defensive concepts first and foremost. I don't see what the point of bringing in MN kids are if we don't develop them and make kids better. Again I am not ripping this hire, I just want to hear what it is he brings beyond being a "MN" guy that he's known for.

That's fair. I strongly disagree. The top need for this team right now is not defense, not offense, not in-bounds plays, not defensive concepts and not zone-breaking strategies.

It is keeping a once-in-a-lifetime stretch of Minnesota high school players home. The top goal for this assistant coaching position should be working to build an overall local relationship that will be make that easier. Won't get them all, but have to get some. Have to. The ball is now in Jeff Mailhot's court. He has the local ties. If they all want to be here for a long time, they will figure it out.

Last edited:

Not sure. Dont know much about Linsted's strengths and weaknesses.
Seems to me we manage to over perform when our talent gives us a chance ('16-'17 and '18-'19). Gathering talent is the issue.
Very interested, i see under performance on the level we recruit at. Just a message board.

That's fair. I strongly disagree. The top need for this team right now is not defense, not offense, not in-bounds plays, not defensive concepts and not zone-breaking strategies.

It is keeping a once-in-a-lifetime stretch of Minnesota high school players home. The top goal for this assistant coaching position should be working to build an overall local relationship that will be make that easier. Won't get them all, but have to get some. Have to. The ball is now in Jeff Mailhot's court. He has the local ties. If they all want to be here for a long time, they will figure it out.
If he kept those two home it would be the best recruiting job in school history when you factor in the head coaches he is going against. There is not a assistant in my memory that has done that this late in the game and it is not like he can meet them for lunch everyday. Personal contact is extremely limited and he has not recruited anywhere near that level. The high level state talent will ebb and flow, check class history. He will make his hay building super strong ties regionally and becoming a great teacher.

Teaching is going to be critical. Next year is not guaranteed and that is even with a highly rated class coming in. Defense was not very good considering the athleticism on the team last year. Offense was limited to a lack of efficient ball movement (this team pounds the air out of the ball and you almost never saw inside out and back in to break up double teams). If you play lacking defense and have an easy to defend offense, recruiting maybe fun to watch but it won’t produce in the standings.

I think he’s coaching for his job and he will be judged on standings and nothing else.

How many Minnesota kids do you need/want to see on the roster to be happy? Oturu/Coffey/Johnson/Kalscheur/Omersa/Hurt/Thompson/Lynch/King -- how many more?

The problem hasn't been a lack of Minnesota kids on the roster. Even the highest ranked MN kids to step on the court haven't transformed MN basketball to prominence -- Humphries/Pryzbilla/Rickert/Oturu/Williams. The problem has been not maximizing the talent we do have on the roster which does get back to coaching. I've never been one to call for this coach's termination but the coaching has been mediocre unfortunately.

I just hope this hire was not intended to check a "MN box", despite all the hand-wringing about having a MN connection. I just don't believe when a kid like Chet Holmgren (who can go anywhere he wants) makes his college decision the third assistant having once had an office at Hopkins High School will be the primary determinant.

How many Minnesota kids do you need/want to see on the roster to be happy? Oturu/Coffey/Johnson/Kalscheur/Omersa/Hurt/Thompson/Lynch/King -- how many more?

The problem hasn't been a lack of Minnesota kids on the roster. Even the highest ranked MN kids to step on the court haven't transformed MN basketball to prominence -- Humphries/Pryzbilla/Rickert/Oturu/Williams. The problem has been not maximizing the talent we do have on the roster which does get back to coaching. I've never been one to call for this coach's termination but the coaching has been mediocre unfortunately.

I just hope this hire was not intended to check a "MN box", despite all the hand-wringing about having a MN connection. I just don't believe when a kid like Chet Holmgren (who can go anywhere he wants) makes his college decision the third assistant having once had an office at Hopkins High School will be the primary determinant.
I think he was hired for several really good reasons. With that said it was not like we could pick or pay whoever we wanted and whatever they wanted. Considering all that is known this seems to be a solid hire.

I think he was hired for several really good reasons. With that said it was not like we could pick or pay whoever we wanted and whatever they wanted. Considering all that is known this seems to be a solid hire.
I agree ... a GREAT assistant from a coaching perspective would not view this as an attractive job. Anyone taking it obviously sees the risk of it being a 1 year job.

I agree ... a GREAT assistant from a coaching perspective would not view this as an attractive job. Anyone taking it obviously sees the risk of it being a 1 year job.
And it does not mean he will not become a fantastic coach. Maybe he is already.

Not sure. Dont know much about Linsted's strengths and weaknesses.
Seems to me we manage to over perform when our talent gives us a chance ('16-'17 and '18-'19). Gathering talent is the issue.
Linsteds strengths are recruiting. He was brought in for that role. I think we have talent and that we underperform personally

Count me in the not relying on Chet bandwagon. I want to find underrecruited guys who play smart offensively and defend. The restaurant seems to take care of itself a second it's the path to actually winning here imo

Agree to disagree :)

Absolutely your right to disagree, but we've had more pros on the roster than Wisconsin the last 2-3 years yet they win a ton. It can be done and it won't require getting top 50 kids.

Mailhot isn’t some rookie coach. Besides being tied to arguably the best HS BB program in MN the 20 years he’s been a solid Assistant on many levels. Those Jucos he’s been at are some of the best in the country. I’m willing to bet he’s recruited some Pulley and Sizzle players in the past. I wanna say he got Zach Lofton to New Mexico St. He’s plenty connected. If you don’t like the hire under the circumstances then who would you like? Mailhot will grind. Let Pitino worry about defensive concepts.

Mailhot isn’t some rookie coach. Besides being tied to arguably the best HS BB program in MN the 20 years he’s been a solid Assistant on many levels. Those Jucos he’s been at are some of the best in the country. I’m willing to bet he’s recruited some Pulley and Sizzle players in the past. I wanna say he got Zach Lofton to New Mexico St. He’s plenty connected. If you don’t like the hire under the circumstances then who would you like? Mailhot will grind. Let Pitino worry about defensive concepts.

I've said we'd need a young go getter considering where we are. I have no doubt he will grind recruiting, but we lost a good teacher, and I don't know if Mailhot is or not and that's what's I was curious about. I want him to be good and don't doubt he was a good option, just was hoping for more insight beyond the being of us angle.

Absolutely your right to disagree, but we've had more pros on the roster than Wisconsin the last 2-3 years yet they win a ton. It can be done and it won't require getting top 50 kids.

Need to compare whole rosters. Middle of last season, Gard was on as much of a hot seat as Pitino. Things change quickly, hopefully Pitino can duplicate Gard's reinvention. We'll see.

Not even close to a rookie but i would not hang my hat on Lofton no matter who recruited him.

Need to compare whole rosters. Middle of last season, Gard was on as much of a hot seat as Pitino. Things change quickly, hopefully Pitino can duplicate Gard's reinvention. We'll see.
Gard finishes ahead of Pitino every year. If they switched teams last year Gard would have crushed it. If every D1 job was open every AD would hire Gard over our coach. That does not mean that this was not a solid hire.

I take our rosters talent wise easily the last three years. Gard was never on a hot seat, some overbearing fans were whining. I do think things can turn quickly like you do. To do so you need to have a staff who teaches and Evaluates well. Something I thought the staff was improving on, but it needs to happen soon.

Gard finishes ahead of Pitino every year. If they switched teams last year Gard would have crushed it. If every D1 job was open every AD would hire Gard over our coach. That does not mean that this was not a solid hire.

Many Badger fans were ready to move on middle of last season. You champion Gard of course, but really wonder how many schools would be enamored with introducing slow ball to their fan base? On their message board, even Badger fans quickly look longingly at a faster style if Badgers hit a rocky patch. Also, disagree with the switching teams and crushing it.

Pitino has a lot to work on then ... Gard and a number of other coaches have taken seasons that were teetering on the brink, and have made them special. Pitino has not done that ... ever ... I agree with those that believe it has nothing to do with talent and a lot to do with not having a system and holding guys accountable to do what's expected to win. When we win games, we can point to things that happened. Rarely do we win games and point to what was EXPECTED to happen.

Many Badger fans were ready to move on middle of last season. You champion Gard of course, but really wonder how many schools would be enamored with introducing slow ball to their fan base? On their message board, even Badger fans quickly look longingly at a faster style if Badgers hit a rocky patch. Also, disagree with the switching teams and crushing it.
That slow ball you refer to is a whole two possessions per half different than hours. Factor in better defense and shot selection and it is a wash except of course the winning and the extra 6000 fans per game. I f we were them we would be sold out.

I take our rosters talent wise easily the last three years. Gard was never on a hot seat, some overbearing fans were whining. I do think things can turn quickly like you do. To do so you need to have a staff who teaches and Evaluates well. Something I thought the staff was improving on, but it needs to happen soon.

Pitino has a lot to work on then ... Gard and a number of other coaches have taken seasons that were teetering on the brink, and have made them special. Pitino has not done that ... ever ... I agree with those that believe it has nothing to do with talent and a lot to do with not having a system and holding guys accountable to do what's expected to win. When we win games, we can point to things that happened. Rarely do we win games and point to what was EXPECTED to happen.

'16-'17 was totally unexpected. '18-'19 was teetering and we made a run at end of the season. Coaching.

'16-'17 was totally unexpected. '18-'19 was teetering and we made a run at end of the season. Coaching.
I agree '18-'19 was fun, but that team was not a "just barely get in team". There was a serious mid-to-end-of-season slump that was saved by a win over Penn State and a couple of Purdue wins. The Purdue wins were because of defense ... something that was rarely seen prior to those games. So, if the late season run was due to the coach "finding the formula to win", why wasn't that formula used prior and why hasn't that formula used since?

Looks like it should be moved to the Pitino thread where his overall body of work leaves him ......

In transparency I don’t know a ton about Mailhot. If we were going to go MN guy route I would have expected Pitino to make another major push for Kyle Green. Would have had added bonus of likely bringing his son with him. Not sure given RP could have pulled him being on hot seat. Seemed like there was Green steam the last couple openings but not this time around.

I agree '18-'19 was fun, but that team was not a "just barely get in team". There was a serious mid-to-end-of-season slump that was saved by a win over Penn State and a couple of Purdue wins. The Purdue wins were because of defense ... something that was rarely seen prior to those games. So, if the late season run was due to the coach "finding the formula to win", why wasn't that formula used prior and why hasn't that formula used since?

Was impressive to me how Pitino figured out a way for that team to be successful without a point guard, for on thing. Louisville win of course was huge. You didn't enjoy the '16-'17 season? How do you think '17-'18 would have turned out without losing so many players? Even last season it took 4 or 5 heartbreakers to keep a team with low expectations out of the "dance".

Was impressive to me how Pitino figured out a way for that team to be successful without a point guard, for on thing. Louisville win of course was huge. You didn't enjoy the '16-'17 season? How do you think '17-'18 would have turned out without losing so many players? Even last season it took 4 or 5 heartbreakers to keep a team with low expectations out of the "dance".
Wrong thread.

In transparency I don’t know a ton about Mailhot. If we were going to go MN guy route I would have expected Pitino to make another major push for Kyle Green. Would have had added bonus of likely bringing his son with him. Not sure given RP could have pulled him being on hot seat. Seemed like there was Green steam the last couple openings but not this time around.
No way to get that hire for AJ. I find it in bad taste for anyone but it better be someone that has a huge impact. This was a good hire if everything is taken into consideration.

Top Bottom