New Assistant- Jeff Mailhot

I was responding to a poster who compared us unfavorably to Wisconsin.
Sorry. Did notice that your post was also off topic so maybe should've given this advice to yourself:)?
Agree, that is why i suggest we move it since people on both sides are sick of it infecting other threads. My response will be there.

I can‘t fckg believe you guys! We hire an up and coming coach with connections to the local players and all you guys can do is speculate how awful he is and how rotten our Head Coach is...

Coach Mailhot has worked his way up the ranks, you don’t do that by just knowing a few possible recruits in Minnesota. Everyone has been criticizing Pitino because he doesn’t get all the Minnesota kids and when he gets an experienced coach that can help, you all make up speculation that the guy can’t coach... And of course Built has to work in his usual attack and adulation for the coach for Wisconsin.

I can‘t fckg believe you guys! We hire an up and coming coach with connections to the local players and all you guys can do is speculate how awful he is and how rotten our Head Coach is...

Coach Mailhot has worked his way up the ranks, you don’t do that by just knowing a few possible recruits in Minnesota. Everyone has been criticizing Pitino because he doesn’t get all the Minnesota kids and when he gets an experienced coach that can help, you all make up speculation that the guy can’t coach... And of course Built has to work in his usual attack and adulation for the coach for Wisconsin.
I posted more than once that this is a good hire under difficult circumstances. I suggested that the fall off the thread to the PITINO stuff get moved to the appropriate thread.

Agree, that is why i suggest we move it since people on both sides are sick of it infecting other threads. My response will be there.
The people who like to coach bash have had no problem bringing it up in whatever thread they feel like. It's been better recently but to say it's 50/50 is a joke.

The people who like to coach bash have had no problem bringing it up in whatever thread they feel like. It's been better recently but to say it's 50/50 is a joke.
There is a difference between bashing a coach personally and a analysis of the record and the method. Personal putdowns of honest people is not my thing. Sharing opinions of facts on a thread is something the mods are not finding inappropriate. I do not enjoy the personal attacks on Pitino.

If he kept those two home it would be the best recruiting job in school history when you factor in the head coaches he is going against. There is not a assistant in my memory that has done that this late in the game and it is not like he can meet them for lunch everyday. Personal contact is extremely limited and he has not recruited anywhere near that level. The high level state talent will ebb and flow, check class history. He will make his hay building super strong ties regionally and becoming a great teacher.

No where did I say his job was to keep those two kids specifically. I said his job was to build a better overall relationship with the local basketball community in general to make things easier for the future. While high school talent here has ebbed and flowed, it is flowing right now and for the foreseeable future. Gotta take advantage.

How many Minnesota kids do you need/want to see on the roster to be happy? Oturu/Coffey/Johnson/Kalscheur/Omersa/Hurt/Thompson/Lynch/King -- how many more?

I'm not sure how many. But, generally more than we've gotten for a variety of reasons.

How's he up and coming? Again I'm not saying it's a bad hire because I don't know anything. I am on board saying if it's just for local connections and hes not a good teacher then I don't like it. I'm hoping he's great. We were in a tough spot to hire anyone known like a Yaklich who could fix our defense, so we needed to go find a young guy.

I know I like that he worked his way up through a variety of different levels. I wasn't crazy with my expectations of who we'd get, just was hoping for some more insight about him. With Lindsted I know he's considered or was well thought of as a recruiter and evaluator. Jeter was known to be intelligent on the defensively side as well as a great relationship builder. I just don't know enough about Mailhot yet to say it's good or bad.

Many Badger fans were ready to move on middle of last season. You champion Gard of course, but really wonder how many schools would be enamored with introducing slow ball to their fan base? On their message board, even Badger fans quickly look longingly at a faster style if Badgers hit a rocky patch. Also, disagree with the switching teams and crushing it.

Good thing fans don't decide the fate of coaches.

Teaching is going to be critical. Next year is not guaranteed and that is even with a highly rated class coming in. Defense was not very good considering the athleticism on the team last year. Offense was limited to a lack of efficient ball movement (this team pounds the air out of the ball and you almost never saw inside out and back in to break up double teams). If you play lacking defense and have an easy to defend offense, recruiting maybe fun to watch but it won’t produce in the standings.

I think he’s coaching for his job and he will be judged on standings and nothing else.
At the same time, the defense was as good as it was to a good extent because of Jeter. If this new guy isn't Jeter's equal in teaching, we're going to experience a downgrade on the defensive side of the ball. That's why you try to hire guys who are a total package. My hope and expectation is that he is.

At the same time, the defense was as good as it was to a good extent because of Jeter. If this new guy isn't Jeter's equal in teaching, we're going to experience a downgrade on the defensive side of the ball. That's why you try to hire guys who are a total package.
Of course you try for the best guy. Perhaps Mailhot will upgrade the defense and fulfill the job better than Jeter.

Of course you try for the best guy. Perhaps Mailhot will upgrade the defense and fulfill the job better than Jeter.

That's the hope. I think he's more than just a MN connection too. I think Chris Jans and Tim Cluess were good coaches that we worked under, but I don't think either is known specifically on their defensive chops, but I do greatly appreciate Ken Novak's ability to coach D. Again I hope he's great, but I'd like and think for the success of this program and his career, his job is more than just bring in a player from MN

At the same time, the defense was as good as it was to a good extent because of Jeter. If this new guy isn't Jeter's equal in teaching, we're going to experience a downgrade on the defensive side of the ball. That's why you try to hire guys who are a total package. My hope and expectation is that he is.

Unless Pitino has made this an area of needed growth and focus. I don't think you can be great at this over a summer, but I'm hopeful he's been learning and getting better throughout his time here.

Unless Pitino has made this an area of needed growth and focus. I don't think you can be great at this over a summer, but I'm hopeful he's been learning and getting better throughout his time here.
Especially since it is not in the DNA of the program and now we have a lost summer where it is not worked on. Already huge challenge just got bigger.

Anyone think there will ever be any Jim Pete steam to the U one day? I think his overall knowledge, charisma, and ties to the state could be great in the future.

How's he up and coming? Again I'm not saying it's a bad hire because I don't know anything. I am on board saying if it's just for local connections and hes not a good teacher then I don't like it. I'm hoping he's great. We were in a tough spot to hire anyone known like a Yaklich who could fix our defense, so we needed to go find a young guy.

I know I like that he worked his way up through a variety of different levels. I wasn't crazy with my expectations of who we'd get, just was hoping for some more insight about him. With Lindsted I know he's considered or was well thought of as a recruiter and evaluator. Jeter was known to be intelligent on the defensively side as well as a great relationship builder. I just don't know enough about Mailhot yet to say it's good or bad.
Like you said, you don't know anything about him, but right away you assume that he is just a recruiter and doesn't know how to coach basketball! And then the thread drifts off into that direction with some additional jabs at Pitino. Maybe you should do some homework instead of just making stuff up. I understand your concern, but you do not know ANYTHING about the coach.

Like you said, you don't know anything about him, but right away you assume that he is just a recruiter and doesn't know how to coach basketball! And then the thread drifts off into that direction with some additional jabs at Pitino. Maybe you should do some homework instead of just making stuff up. I understand your concern, but you do not know ANYTHING about the coach.

Alchemy, I've done homework and haven't been able to find anything but that he has ties to MN and all I see from the media types is that he will help recruiting in MN. Since that is not important on my list, I was hoping someone on here maybe would have something I've missed. I coached HS in this state for 15 years, I do not have Novak's number or that relationship to ask him. Others that I know well who have coached against him don't remember him. I've stated NUMEROUS times I'm not ripping the hire, I'm just in search of more information. Please let me know where else I've missed on doing my homework on Mailhot that you feel I should pursue.

You know he has made defense an area of focus if you watched last year. Do you actually think that a D1 coach has not plans to improve his roster, staff or strategy. It is obvious that he has shifted to a group of more athletic, more versatile, more defensive minded, better shooting player. He constantly reports efficiency stats and areas of improvements. He has sit many players that are not willing to play defense. You used to be a very informed and supportive poster, now it seems like you have let some emotions take over judgment and rational.

You know he has made defense an area of focus if you watched last year. Do you actually think that a D1 coach has not plans to improve his roster, staff or strategy. It is obvious that he has shifted to a group of more athletic, more versatile, more defensive minded, better shooting player. He constantly reports efficiency stats and areas of improvements. He has sit many players that are not willing to play defense. You used to be a very informed and supportive poster, now it seems like you have let some emotions take over judgment and rational.

I've seen improvement on defense which I've given credit for, but that was correlated to Jeter imo. I'm not saying we are going to be awful, in fact I mentioned that I hope it was his focused area and that he learned and continue to grow in that area. Coaches are always looking to improve everywhere, but they typically have focused areas.
I've also complimented and stuck up for this staff recruiting wise and for everything offensively. I think I have a right to not be ok with how the defense has been. It's the factor that is not letting us win more imo. There is no emotion tied to it and my judgement and rational is quite sound imo.

Defensive rankings in the conference from the start
2013-14 -8th
2014-15 -9th
2015-16 -12th
2016-17 -2nd
2017-18 -12th
2018-19 -10th
2019-20 -10th

It is all relative to how your opponents have done. If someone says that they are watching closely and that it looks like we are playing better defense fine, not good enough. The one year we played really good defense was 2016-17 and of course we won 24 games.

I've seen improvement on defense which I've given credit for, but that was correlated to Jeter imo. I'm not saying we are going to be awful, in fact I mentioned that I hope it was his focused area and that he learned and continue to grow in that area. Coaches are always looking to improve everywhere, but they typically have focused areas.
I've also complimented and stuck up for this staff recruiting wise and for everything offensively. I think I have a right to not be ok with how the defense has been. It's the factor that is not letting us win more imo. There is no emotion tied to it and my judgement and rational is quite sound imo.
OK, so it was me that let his emotions get the best of him. I just saw the questions about who he was and that drifted off into the errors of Pitino. My bad, because you typically do your research. Of course the press is going to play the local angle, it is an easy one to take. I would expect that Pitino would not hire an assistant that doesn’t know how to coach something.

Defensive rankings in the conference from the start
2013-14 -8th
2014-15 -9th
2015-16 -12th
2016-17 -2nd
2017-18 -12th
2018-19 -10th
2019-20 -10th

It is all relative to how your opponents have done. If someone says that they are watching closely and that it looks like we are playing better defense fine, not good enough. The one year we played really good defense was 2016-17 and of course we won 24 games.
Well that tells the story, it does have to be better than that.

OK, so it was me that let his emotions get the best of him. I just saw the questions about who he was and that drifted off into the errors of Pitino. My bad, because you typically do your research. Of course the press is going to play the local angle, it is an easy one to take. I would expect that Pitino would not hire an assistant that doesn’t know how to coach something.

No worries that constant derailing of threads gets annoying and I apologize for my part of it. You're 100% right on the media only posting that angle which just drives me mad even though I understand why they do it. The pandemic makes it hard and will this summer to without having open practices to get my own judgement. Mailhot has some good references so I'm hopeful it wasn't an appeasement hire (I truly don't think it was).

I love seeing how staffs are put together and their dynamics and roles. Pitino puts a high priority on hiring good people who fit within the group so you know he's not sleazy or a cheater, but there were more holes to fill than just recruiting and that can't be his only job. I know Jeter did a lot of defensive concepts after Ben left, so I'm interested to see who does that now.

No worries that constant derailing of threads gets annoying and I apologize for my part of it. You're 100% right on the media only posting that angle which just drives me mad even though I understand why they do it. The pandemic makes it hard and will this summer to without having open practices to get my own judgement. Mailhot has some good references so I'm hopeful it wasn't an appeasement hire (I truly don't think it was).

I love seeing how staffs are put together and their dynamics and roles. Pitino puts a high priority on hiring good people who fit within the group so you know he's not sleazy or a cheater, but there were more holes to fill than just recruiting and that can't be his only job. I know Jeter did a lot of defensive concepts after Ben left, so I'm interested to see who does that now.
Great post. It is one of my favorite things about the sport, watching who gets hired, how they fill a staff, what they build, how they adapt when guys leave. I have no doubt that Mailhot brings a variety of skill and experience to the job.I thought Jeter would pay larger dividends but perhaps his best was in the groundwork that he partially laid in Woodbury with Brown, Blue, the Carlson family. Heck as of right now he has a son that is still planning on high school here with another Carlson kid and Walker.

How do you know that?

Pretty well advertised and known to most around the program who informed me. All staffs do it differently, but Jeters focus was overall defense and Pitino was overall offense. Lindsted recruiting, and Conroy player development/Posts. Now they would each get their own scouts as far as games and teams.

Coach Novak chimes in per Shama:

Hopkins boys’ basketball coach Ken Novak told Sports Headliners it was he who first made the connection between Jeff Mailhot and Gophers head coach Richard Pitino. Earlier this spring Mailhot, who is a Minneapolis native and was an assistant coach last season at Iona, asked Novak to contact Pitino about the opening on the Minnesota staff created by the departure of Rob Jeter to Western Illinois. “Jeff was interested in the job,” Novak said.

Pitino announced Monday he had hired Mailhot, who has over a decade of college coaching experience including junior college teams. CoachStat.net once named him the top junior college assistant coach. Mailhot played for Novak at Hopkins and later was an assistant coach for the Royals. Word is Mailhot found himself looking for another opportunity when Pitino’s father, Rick Pitino, took over this spring at Iona, and wanted his own assistants.

As a Minnesota native, Mailhot presumably will have a focus on recruiting the state. Novak believes his protégé will be a high-level recruiter. “First of all, he gets along with everybody,” Novak said. “He does well with relationships. He’s got a work ethic. He loves the game of basketball.”

Novak has seen a number of his Royals players go on to play for the Gophers, but none for awhile. He hopes the Mailhot hire will re-ignite the Hopkins-Gophers connection. “I will encourage them (Hopkins players) but I won’t push them,” Novak said.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom