New Adam Rittenberg Q&A with Coach Brewster

After reading that, I am predicting 12-0 for the Gophers. Punky convinced me. I will say this, he is not a member of the under sell and over perform fraternity.

I am predicting 12-0 for the Gophers.

I think that is a tall order but at the very least, it sounds like you are predicting 1-0 against the Badgers this year. I realize Rittenberg is "worried" about the Badgers but don't give up that easily.

After reading that, I am predicting 12-0 for the Gophers. Punky convinced me. I will say this, he is not a member of the under sell and over perform fraternity.

Boy, I read through that entire interview twice, and I didn't even see anything remotely resembling or even insinuating any kind of sell job whatsoever.

Try harder, troll.

Boy, I read through that entire interview twice, and I didn't even see anything remotely resembling or even insinuating any kind of sell job whatsoever.

Try harder, troll.

I've thoughts this for a few months now but it has appeared to me that Brew has really tempered his comments down a lot. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing, I will let you decide. So I agree dpodoll, I don't think he is overselling anything in that interview.

I think that is a tall order but at the very least, it sounds like you are predicting 1-0 against the Badgers this year. I realize Rittenberg is "worried" about the Badgers but don't give up that easily.

Good point. I should have said 11-1.

Interesting, his comments on Stommes.

During the spring he was saying that Stommes was one of the most athletic guy he had seen, and now "he's a grinder" and "a hard worker." I hope that is on top of his athleticism.

Well this is obviously a sell job, but he didn't make any grand statements other than the one about Tow-Arnett being a top tight end in the B10.

As long as he isn't guaranteeing any wins I'm totally ok with him having positive things to say about his players. I'm sure they appreciate that.

Actually, the only thing he said that bothered me was "we were a really good football team" in regards to last year.
Ummm....no you weren't. You got your ass handed to you by almost every good team you played. Wrong answer.

Well this is obviously a sell job, but he didn't make any grand statements other than the one about Tow-Arnett being a top tight end in the B10.

As long as he isn't guaranteeing any wins I'm totally ok with him having positive things to say about his players. I'm sure they appreciate that.

Actually, the only thing he said that bothered me was "we were a really good football team" in regards to last year.
Ummm....no you weren't. You got your ass handed to you by almost every good team you played. Wrong answer.

Dude, get over it already. We won ONE game two years ago. We won SEVEN last year. I'll take that improvement anyday. We will win at least EIGHT this year with one of the toughest schedules in the country.

What will you say then? "Ohhhh, waahhhh, Brewster is enjoying his team's success too much. He shouldn't be so happy."

He's a college coach trying to build a winning program. What do you want him to say?
"Oh, we'll struggle to get to .500."

Just because so many people in the staid Midwest are okay with accepting mediocrity doesn't mean our football coach needs to be. Have you ever worked in a sales environment? Do you know what the sales directors and managers do? They set VERY, VERY high goals for their teams. It's better to shoot high and get close than to shoot for mediocrity and achieve it. It's just unbelievable how people act about Brewster's motivational and media tactics on here. Just STFU already. I can't wait until there is a goddamn game so we can actually have something to talk about and not have to listen to so many ninnies complain because Brewster didn't tell some media pundit that he thinks his team will suck in 2009. I will mail any of you a razor, noose or a gun -- your choice -- if you wanna keep being such whiny little b*tches, so you can do us a favor and end it.

This is obviously a fake interview or a horribly inaccurate transcript. As anybody who has read Punky's Twitter feed knows, he can't! say anything! without using lots!!! of exclamation! points!!! Yeah!!!

P.S. For those of you who think I'm joking.

Dude, get over it already. We won ONE game two years ago. We won SEVEN last year. I'll take that improvement anyday. We will win at least EIGHT this year with one of the toughest schedules in the country.

What will you say then? "Ohhhh, waahhhh, Brewster is enjoying his team's success too much. He shouldn't be so happy."

He's a college coach trying to build a winning program. What do you want him to say?

Just because so many people in the staid Midwest are okay with accepting mediocrity doesn't mean our football coach needs to be. Have you ever worked in a sales environment? Do you know what the sales directors and managers do? They set VERY, VERY high goals for their teams. It's better to shoot high and get close than to shoot for mediocrity and achieve it. It's just unbelievable how people act about Brewster's motivational and media tactics on here. Just STFU already. I can't wait until there is a goddamn game so we can actually have something to talk about and not have to listen to so many ninnies complain because Brewster didn't tell some media pundit that he thinks his team will suck in 2009. I will mail any of you a razor, noose or a gun -- your choice -- if you wanna keep being such whiny little b*tches, so you can do us a favor and end it.

In sales it is better to under promise and over deliver, promising the world to your customer and then getting close but not delivering what you promised does not fly. I don't have a problem with a guy being positive about his team but be rest assured when you paint a picture of everything being great then people are going to take you at your word and hold you accountable. When a guy in the same breath talks about how good our team was last year than you have to wonder who is really the one accepting mediocrity here, however I must admit it is quite a bit out of line with his shooting for the moon comments? I would prefer that he says we had some problems last year that we have addressed and you will see better coaching and results on the field.

Goddamn. May very well be the post of the year. WriterGoph, I don't know if you tailgate at the St. Paul campus, but if you do, then I owe you a beer.

All said, Brewster did a "tremendous" (only used three times, by my count) job of setting some realistic expectations. The team is faster and stronger than last year, there's been good competition at all of the principal positions, and our goal is to compete with the best teams in the conference. We may not win all (or even most) of them against the tOSUs and PSUs of the conference, but we will remain competitive and not embarrass ourselves. If we can keep it tight with all of the teams on our schedule and give ourselves a chance to win in the 4th quarter, then, from my perspective anyway, it's been a successful season. If we can regularly demonstrate that we can beat the teams we're supposed to beat and can stay competitive with the upper echelon of the conference, then I think things will be just fine for this program in the near future. If we can't do that, then, obviously, Brewster needs to be held to account. But Brew's take in the Rittenberg piece was pretty vanilla by standards of a college coach talking about their team at the end of August. If you take umbrage to what he said here, then I suggest you take up watching cricket as your sport of choice.

And with that, I'm going to take WriterGoph's sage advice and STFU with respect to my prognostications for this year, particularly with respect to Brewster's so-called sell job.

In sales it is better to under promise and over deliver, promising the world to your customer and then getting close but not delivering what you promised does not fly. I don't have a problem with a guy being positive about his team but be rest assured when you paint a picture of everything being great and excellent then people are going to take you at your word and expect a great performance on the field. When a guy in the same breath talks about how good our team was last year than you have to wonder who is really the one accepting mediocrity here?

God, your douchery never ends, does it? You're like this board's personal bide.

my guess:

writergoph=kent youngblood:D

This is obviously a fake interview or a horribly inaccurate transcript. As anybody who has read Punky's Twitter feed knows, he can't! say anything! without using lots!!! of exclamation! points!!! Yeah!!!

P.S. For those of you who think I'm joking.

Good one. What an fresh take. Particularly like the use of Punky. That isn't stale yet. You should think about getting into creative writing or something. You're clearly filled to the rim with originality.

Good one!!! What an fresh take! Particularly like the use of Punky! That isn't stale yet! You should think about getting into creative writing! or something!!! You're clearly filled to the rim with originality!!!! The Time Is..........Now!! Let"s Ride!!

Fixed.

OHHH...I get it now, bud! You're adding exclamation points to things because that's what Brewster does. OK. That is really funny. Sorry, guy. For a while I thought you were recycling a crusty old bit from two years ago. What would be really funny, though, and work with me here, is if you made light of his use of "tremendous." That would be comedic genius.

You know, if you're going to go trolling, that's fine. But at least be amusing or come up with original content or something. At least then you get your digs in, we feel silly and maybe get a little chuckle out of it. As it stands right now, you're like a genital wart; sure, you can live with it, but it's irritating and just embarrasses everyone associated with it.

Sorry Prof, don't agree with you.

"Last year, we started out really well, we were a really good football team. We lost some players down the stretch, we weren't strong enough to finish the job. We learned a lot from the end of last season, and I really expect us to be a better team in all areas"

But at least be amusing or come up with original content or something.

My sincere apologies, I'll try harder. It's the least I can do after all the laughs I've had from watching the Gophers.

As it stands right now, you're like a genital wart; sure, you can live with it, but it's irritating and just embarrasses everyone associated with it.

I guess I'll have to take your word for it. Sorry to hear about your condition. Keep your chin up, champ.

My sincere apologies, I'll try harder. It's the least I can do after all the laughs I've had from watching the Gophers.

I guess I'll have to take your word for it. Sorry to hear about your condition. Keep your chin up, champ.

i am assuming that is what your former girlfriend said once she found out that you had "baby penis" syndrome. man, that must have been tough.......

See, chief! That wasn't so difficult. It really wasn't all that original or funny; but, at the least, it wasn't a rehash of the same tripe trolls have been posting on here for years.

For the next lesson, let's try a truly original (read: hasn't been played to death on every Gopher/Badger/Iowa message board on earth) rip on the Gophers or fans. I mean, there should be plenty of material for you to choose from, given the hysterics our program has put you in over the years, right? I'll let you have carte blanche right now, but we'll be here, amigo, to pick you up when your creativity falls a little short again.

I think, Warty, that with a little effort on your part we'll make a real troll of you yet!

What....in....the....world....

1) I suggest therapy.

2) Follow that up with reading comprehension skills.

You're criticizing me for saying he's being too optomistic, when in fact I'm saying he's been too placid. We were NOT a good team last year, and if Brewster thinks we were then I have an issue with his level of expectations. We didn't beat a single good team and got destroyed on numerous occasions. That is not under any definition a good thing.

I'll ignore everything else because it's based under the same premise that you don't know what you're talking about. Good lord. Talk about overemotional reaction.

See, chief! That wasn't so difficult. It really wasn't all that original or funny; but, at the least, it wasn't a rehash of the same tripe trolls have been posting on here for years.

For the next lesson, let's try a truly original (read: hasn't been played to death on every Gopher/Badger/Iowa message board on earth) rip on the Gophers or fans. I mean, there should be plenty of material for you to choose from, given the hysterics our program has put you in over the years, right? I'll let you have carte blanche right now, but we'll be here, amigo, to pick you up when your creativity falls a little short again.

I think, Warty, that with a little effort on your part we'll make a real troll of you yet!

I was going to tell a story about something that happened at a Rose Bowl, but you won't find it funny because you had to be there.

<font color="#F7F7F7">National Championship comment in 3, 2, 1 ...</font>

What....in....the....world....

1) I suggest therapy.

2) Follow that up with reading comprehension skills.

You're criticizing me for saying he's being too optomistic, when in fact I'm saying he's been too placid. We were NOT a good team last year, and if Brewster thinks we were then I have an issue with his level of expectations. We didn't beat a single good team and got destroyed on numerous occasions. That is not under any definition a good thing.

I'll ignore everything else because it's based under the same premise that you don't know what you're talking about. Good lord. Talk about overemotional reaction.

While the invective on WriterGoph's post may have been over the top, I think his main point was that there's far too much criticism of Brewster's optimism. Were we a good team last year? Meh, it's tough to say. We certainly weren't great; but I think there's some justification behind the argument that injuries took their toll and we lacked the depth to sufficiently recover. I would generally agree with the assessment that we were a good team.

Back to the original point, what is Brewster supposed to say that won't disaffect the pragmatic Gopher fans or negatively impact the perception of the program by recruits and interested observers? You accuse him of being too placid. Would you prefer he just state that we weren't a good team, but, jeezo-beezo, we're trying to get better? Methinks that would not be received very well by the decent recruits with whom we have a chance. The dude just projects optimism. Take issue with it if you will, but I'd be hard pressed to find a successful college coach in the modern era who didn't trend toward the bombastic. Tacit, stoic pragmatism may be to one's advantage in academia, but, right or wrong, in the world of today's college football it's a liability.

I was going to tell a story about something that happened at a Rose Bowl, but you won't find it funny because you had to be there.

<font color="#F7F7F7">National Championship comment in 3, 2, 1 ...</font>

See, now that was good! I actually chuckled. Particularly at the hidden text part regarding me making a national championship comment! :clap:

I was concerned that you were without humor for awhile, but you're really coming around, son.

Back to the original point, what is Brewster supposed to say that won't disaffect the pragmatic Gopher fans or negatively impact the perception of the program by recruits and interested observers? You accuse him of being too placid. Would you prefer he just state that we weren't a good team, but, jeezo-beezo, we're trying to get better? Methinks that would not be received very well by the decent recruits with whom we have a chance. The dude just projects optimism. Take issue with it if you will, but I'd be hard pressed to find a successful college coach in the modern era who didn't trend toward the bombastic. Tacit, stoic pragmatism may be to one's advantage in academia, but, right or wrong, in the world of today's college football it's a liability.
I don't think there's a recruit in the world that would get a negative perception from a coach saying "7-6 isn't good enough." In fact, as a player who likely wants to win as many games as possible, I'd never have a problem with a coach shooting for the stars.

Again, there's some confusion which stems primarily from the OP's original ridiculous misunderstanding and overreaction to what I said (hopefully not a Gopher student). I have no problem with optimism and the coach pimping his own players (which I already said). I have a problem with what is clearly either 1) Lying 2) Low expectations.

As for the non-bombastic coaches, see: Coach Tressell.

I don't think there's a recruit in the world that would get a negative perception from a coach saying "7-6 isn't good enough." In fact, as a player who likely wants to win as many games as possible, I'd never have a problem with a coach shooting for the stars.

Again, there's some confusion which stems primarily from the OP's original ridiculous misunderstanding and overreaction to what I said (hopefully not a Gopher student). I have no problem with optimism and the coach pimping his own players (which I already said). I have a problem with what is clearly either 1) Lying 2) Low expectations.

As for the non-bombastic coaches, see: Coach Tressell.

In fairness, here's what Brewster said: "Last year, we started out really well, we were a really good football team. We lost some players down the stretch, we weren't strong enough to finish the job. We learned a lot from the end of last season, and I really expect us to be a better team in all areas."

I'm not sure that's inconsistent with your statement above. Seems to me he's suggesting they weren't strong (read: deep, talented, committed, etc.), but they've learned from it and will get better. So I think you've created a false dichotomy of lying v. low expectations.

I'll give you Tressel. My point, though, was that successful programs are built largely through optimism and sell jobs. Lord knows we can use all we can get.

Top Bottom