Nevada's 2024 game at Minnesota will be ninth seven-figure payday in school history

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chris:

The Nevada football team's game at Minnesota in 2024, which was announced last week, will give the Wolf Pack its ninth seven-figure payday in school history.

Nevada will get $1.2 million from Minnesota, due on or before Feb. 1, 2025, to play the Gophers, according to the game contract, which was obtained this week by Nevada Sports Net.

The $1.2 million payout is the seventh largest in school history. The Wolf Pack has scheduled at least one $1 million game in eight of 10 seasons stretching from the 2015-24 seasons.

The largest payout will be a $1.6 million game to be played at USC in 2023. Nevada also will get $1.5 million to play at Arkansas in 2020.

Other interesting tidbits from the Minnesota game contract include:

* Nevada will get 500 complimentary tickets from Minnesota. Nevada will be granted 2,500 more tickets for sale to its fans.

* Nevada will get 60 sideline passes for coaches, trainers and working personnel. No one under the age of 14 will be allowed on the sidelines.

* Nevada's cheerleaders, mascots and band will get into the game free and not count against the 500 complementary tickets.

* Big Ten officials will be used and paid for by Minnesota.

* If either team cancels the game, barring natural disaster, it will owe the opposition a $1 million buyout.

* The game was agreed to and signed by all parties Dec. 4, 2019.

Go Gophers!!

Might be a unusual thing for Nevada, but that doesn't sound like an unusual contract as far as MN or any other B1G team pays.

Should play oregon state again or some other bad pac12 team. They are probably just as good as nevada and we wont have to pay them.

Should play oregon state again or some other bad pac12 team. They are probably just as good as nevada and we wont have to pay them.

You play home & home vs P5 (or big name G5), usually 1 per year. The away game is in a year that there are 5 B1G home games.

You play buy games vs non big name G5 or FCS teams. Those are 2 per year, every year.

Nevada fits into the buy game category.

You play home & home vs P5 (or big name G5), usually 1 per year. The away game is in a year that there are 5 B1G home games.

You play buy games vs non big name G5 or FCS teams. Those are 2 per year, every year.

Nevada fits into the buy game category.
The alternative is to do a 2 for 1 with a G5 program, where you play on the road once for two home games with them. Most P5 schools don't do that though since they want as many home games as possible.

When you do that though you also have to play an away game at their stadium and thus lose the revenue you would make from otherwise hosting a home game. I'm not going to pretend to know the details around the math but I'm sure these contracts are designed in a way that makes the money work out.

I understand the aversion of paying money ... especially in Minnesota.

But it should be noted that a larger thing to consider is that the "system" as it works where "big schools pay smaller schools" often is what keeps many smaller school's athletic departments afloat. For many programs their football teams go and take a hit ... so they can pay for their own football program / other programs.

I belive if that system ended you'd see a lot of smaller schools football and other sport programs end. It's a wonky system, but I'd hate to see a mass disruption.

Top Bottom