Nelson named starter at Qb

I don't hate this move. I did at first, but only because I've been indoctrinated. Now I'm warming up to it.

QB might be the Gophers' most loaded position. Maybe, in terms of potential, QB and OL are both right up there. I don't know, but based on what I hear...

Anyway, so after Nelson burns his redshirt, you've still got Leidner redshirted. You've got Gray recovering and probably playing later in the season, Shortell on the bench, Dexter Foreman, Mitch Leidner, Streveler coming in next year, and whoever you recruit down the line.

How bad is this, really? Nelson will still have three full seasons of eligibility after 2012. That isn't bad!

Right now we have zero sure things at the QB position. That position is no where close to loaded.

It wasn't quite as bad as the OP made it sound, but they interviewed Shortell's father during one of the games (think it was Western Michigan) and he said something to the effect of how he wished his son had been able to redshirt the year before and not have been thrown into the fire so early. I took it as a pretty innocuous comment, but if Shortell really is thinking about transferring I'm sure he would love to have that year of eligibility back.

Shortell's father said that all frosh should be redshirted, clearly implying that his son should have been. He's got to be p.o.'d with this move!

I've only seen Youtube Highlights of Nelson but he clearly looks like he's more comfortable in this type of Offense then Max is. I'm going to trust the coaches who have been in practice everyday then some complaining fans. I'll be cheering for Nelson & Coach & Co. tomorrow regardless of the outcome...

I heard or read yesterday(from one of the media types) that Max was still suffering from a stiff neck(injury from last game) and it caused tightness in his arm. Speculation was that it affected his passing in NU game.

If this is the case it would explain some of his erratic throws and the fact that Nelson may start/play.

It's been pretty well accepted that Nelson would only play this year because of injuries to MG and Max. This may very well be the case, and if so makes the majority of this thread look ridiculous.

If this Nelson start is truly because Gray is out and Shortell is too injured to be effective, then Kill seems to have broken his own plan. He constantly preaches the need for depth, and if Nelson truly is not ready yet and the definite number 3 on the depth chart, the staff screwed-up. No matter how good Nelson may become, we all know he looked bad and just not ready in that Spring Game. Ironically, Tom Parrish looked really good in the pre-season scrimage prior to 2011. For the sake of their oft preached need for depth, the staff should have made sure to keep Parrish, kept Moses in a quarterback role, and/or not apparently wasted a scholly on that real late signing on Foreman. Apparently Foreman is not capable of being even mildly effective while in his 2nd year in the system.

I heard or read yesterday(from one of the media types) that Max was still suffering from a stiff neck(injury from last game) and it caused tightness in his arm. Speculation was that it affected his passing in NU game.

If this is the case it would explain some of his erratic throws and the fact that Nelson may start/play.

It's been pretty well accepted that Nelson would only play this year because of injuries to MG and Max. This may very well be the case, and if so makes the majority of this thread look ridiculous.

#48, that never happens on GH.

If it wasn't for the redshirt issue we'd all like to see Nelson play. Why not build for the future. Maybe he would have left after his junior year anyway if he ends up being a stud. All in all Max doesn't give us anymore of a chance to win at Wisky. It won't be the offense that will win or lose the game.

Let me be over the top optimistic!!!! Maybe the future is NOW...10-2 here we come!!!!!:eek:

If this Nelson start is truly because Gray is out and Shortell is too injured to be effective, then Kill seems to have broken his own plan. He constantly preaches the need for depth, and if Nelson truly is not ready yet and the definite number 3 on the depth chart, the staff screwed-up. No matter how good Nelson may become, we all know he looked bad and just not ready in that Spring Game. Ironically, Tom Parrish looked really good in the pre-season scrimage prior to 2011. For the sake of their oft preached need for depth, the staff should have made sure to keep Parrish, kept Moses in a quarterback role, and/or not apparently wasted a scholly on that real late signing on Foreman. Apparently Foreman is not capable of being even mildly effective while in his 2nd year in the system.

1. You can't force players to stay in the program.
2. Maybe they felt, even if the situation rose, a true freshman like Nelson would be a better option over Moses.
3. Most felt we had some pretty good depth at QB to start the year. We had two QB's with experience. Just unfortunate about the injuries. Not much Kill can do about that.

Either way, I'm done with this. I'll support whomever our QB is. We aren't in practice. We aren't in meetings. I'll trust the coaching staff because I don't have much of a choice. I may not agree with everything they are doing, but I will still support them.

Max may be hurt, he may be ineffective, he may be both.

It would not surprise me if Gray plays a fair bit at wr today as well. This may not be a slight on his qb skills but rather an acknowledgement that he has a hard time staying healthy the way he plays qb. Kill seems to be going with the best way to win today.

Will we regret not having Nelson in 2016? Maybe but a lot can happen in 4 years.

Max may be hurt, he may be ineffective, he may be both.

It would not surprise me if Gray plays a fair bit at wr today as well. This may not be a slight on his qb skills but rather an acknowledgement that he has a hard time staying healthy the way he plays qb. Kill seems to be going with the best way to win today.

Will we regret not having Nelson in 2016? Maybe but a lot can happen in 4 years.

The 2016 angle has never bugged me because so much can happen in 4 years. I just hope that if he does start he sees more then just one game, it would be a shame to burn his redshirt for one start. If he plays significant minutes over the rest of the year then it is a good development opportunity and will give the coaches a good idea of what they have in him going forward.

The unfortunate aspect is being thrown to the wolves in his first start with a beat up offense on the road in a very hostile environment. One thing we will definitely find out is how he responds to pressure. If he can stay calm and not get rattled in this environment that will bode well for the remainder of his career.

Going to be fun to watch, but definitely has train wreck potential written all over it.

We've had a lot of injuries so far this season. Is this just normal stuff occurring over the course of a season or should someone be questioning the strength and conditioning approach that the Gophers have taken? All I've heard is great comments about Eric Klein and his staff, but this season seems to be filled with injuries. Any thoughts on both the conditioning program as well as the rehab program under Ed Lochrie?

I hope Nelson is the answer...and can handle Camp Randall.

But I'm not sure I get all this freaking out the coaches did about "What if Max's helmet comes off" the past few games....but now we just flat or burn #9's redshirt? Half of the year is gone? I don't get it.

I hope we're cool and he pulls off the upset of the century...but I'm flummoxed for sure.

We've had a lot of injuries so far this season. Is this just normal stuff occurring over the course of a season or should someone be questioning the strength and conditioning approach that the Gophers have taken? All I've heard is great comments about Eric Klein and his staff, but this season seems to be filled with injuries. Any thoughts on both the conditioning program as well as the rehab program under Ed Lochrie?

I think they are getting injured because they are young and undersized compared to big ten opponents

I think they are getting injured because they are young and undersized compared to big ten opponents

McDonald, Gray, Olson, Shabazz and who knows who else. They all got hurt in the UNLV and Western Michigan games.

Wish they would start anyone else but if they blow his redshirt he'd better start the rest of the year.

30 minutes to kickoff. This game is much more interesting with Nelson under center. Getting excited!

30 minutes to kick off and we still don't have CONFIRMATION that Nelson is starting. This is so weird.

EDIT: Well there it is, confirmed on ESPNU

Reusse was saying that Kill wanted to surprise Wisky by starting Nelson, but Sid caught wind and let the cat out of the bag.

Great move. Can we please stop talking about 4 years down the road? This program is not good enough to stash guys on the sidelines because they are so good that we have to save them for some BCS game in 2016. Shortell is not the answer. Gray can't stay healthy so why not put the "future" out there. There is still a lot of season left and we are 4-2. We may lose 50-0 today and its still a good move, imo.

Great move. Can we please stop talking about 4 years down the road? This program is not good enough to stash guys on the sidelines because they are so good that we have to save them for some BCS game in 2016. Shortell is not the answer. Gray can't stay healthy so why not put the "future" out there. There is still a lot of season left and we are 4-2. We may lose 50-0 today and its still a good move, imo.

The more I think about it, the more this makes sense.

Top Bottom