Nebraska/Wisconsin Tickets

Gopherocious

Reaction score
I had multiple friends go on to buy tickets for the Nebraska and/or Wisconsin games today. The cheapest seats started out at $75. After 30 mins, then rose to $90 for the cheapest, and now it's currently $100/each. Has the U ever done this before? Was there a warning something like this could happen? I had a group of seven friends that went on at lunch, just to discover the cheapest seat they could get was $100, and that was for the upper rows of bench seating in the upper deck corners. They decided not to buy tickets as it's just to spendy at that price. Is it me, or is the U just trying to gouge fans again?

I can't say I know what you're talking about but did they maybe change from selling a package that required you to buy some random other game along with Wisc or Neb.... and then to single game when they changed the deal?

If those were the seats that were left then it looks like people are willing to pay that price. I don't think that is price gouging that is smart economics. It's a subtle middle finger to the people who dropped their season tickets and were just going to buy single game tickets to the big games.

A_Slab: Your picture makes me think I posted something twice :mad:

We could do well to implement something like Northwestern's Purple Pricing - the prices for single games start off high but gradually decrease, and you are refunded the difference between the price you paid for your ticket and the final ticket price prior to the game. Very responsive to demand, although hard to plan around from a budgeting perspective.

I just checked, and there are still some available for $75 for the Gophers vs. wisco game.

If those were the seats that were left then it looks like people are willing to pay that price. I don't think that is price gouging that is smart economics. It's a subtle middle finger to the people who dropped their season tickets and were just going to buy single game tickets to the big games.

I don't know that people are willing to pay that price, though. When he called me to see what was happening, tickets were disappearing every time I refreshed the page. However, now every time I log on to see what's left for them, the price rises by another $5-15 and the ticket sales have come to a halt. I understand people can get penalized for waiting too long, but perhaps they would have made alternative plans to get tickets when they were $75 right at 10am instead of waiting until noon.

I just checked, and there are still some available for $75 for the Gophers vs. wisco game.

That is correct now. Earlier today when the cheapest for the Nebraska game was $90, I checked for the Wisky game and those were $90 minimum as well. Looks like those have come back down after initially going up.

That is correct now. Earlier today when the cheapest for the Nebraska game was $90, I checked for the Wisky game and those were $90 minimum as well. Looks like those have come back down after initially going up.

Maybe they saw this thread. :) We have more power than we think.

Were you logging in from a Wisconsin IP address? That's a $15 Gopher tax.

I don't know that people are willing to pay that price, though. When he called me to see what was happening, tickets were disappearing every time I refreshed the page. However, now every time I log on to see what's left for them, the price rises by another $5-15 and the ticket sales have come to a halt. I understand people can get penalized for waiting too long, but perhaps they would have made alternative plans to get tickets when they were $75 right at 10am instead of waiting until noon.

Early bird gets the worm. Whenever I buy tickets, whether to Gopher road games or concerts, I get them right when they go on sale.

Ticket prices are not going up and down dynamically... No gouging. I was spoiled by the LivingSocial deal in the outdoor club for TCU. Don't know if I can ever go back. Not gonna spend $350 a pop even for the badgers, though.

LOL - In previous years season ticket holders were complaining about the "deals" they were giving out to non-season ticket holders in selling tickets during the season. I come to the conclusion that no matter what they do they are going to piss something off. If you are going to do that you might as well make some money. Who knows, they may even be Nebraska fans!

LOL - In previous years season ticket holders were complaining about the "deals" they were giving out to non-season ticket holders in selling tickets during the season. I come to the conclusion that no matter what they do they are going to piss something off. If you are going to do that you might as well make some money. Who knows, they may even be Nebraska fans!

The two pack was a much better deal this year than season tickets. Two games, seat backs, no blood money. How can you go wrong. Picked up Kent St tickets for $15 each at state fair, and I'm into 3 games for a total of $175 per ticket (or $58.33 per ticket per game). Granted 2 of the games were MAC opponents.

Were you logging in from a Wisconsin IP address? That's a $15 Gopher tax.

HELL. NO. :)

All three groups trying to purchase were outstate Minnesota.

I have my season tickets, so it doesn't really matter to me. Just trying to get as many Gopher fans in the door as I can. Just had a few friends contact me about what was happening, and I had never heard of the U doing something like this. Just had no idea something like this was even in play, and was wondering if there was a notice beforehand that this could happen.

I had multiple friends go on to buy tickets for the Nebraska and/or Wisconsin games today. The cheapest seats started out at $75. After 30 mins, then rose to $90 for the cheapest, and now it's currently $100/each. Has the U ever done this before? Was there a warning something like this could happen? I had a group of seven friends that went on at lunch, just to discover the cheapest seat they could get was $100, and that was for the upper rows of bench seating in the upper deck corners. They decided not to buy tickets as it's just to spendy at that price. Is it me, or is the U just trying to gouge fans again?

Supply and demand. These games are going to demand a lot higher price than MAC games, or Illinois.

Supply and demand. These games are going to demand a lot higher price than MAC games, or Illinois.

I understand and agree with that. What caught me by surprise was hiking the prices of the same exact ticket. It started at $75, moved to $90 shortly, then moved up again to $100. I've never seen the U do this, and was wondering if people had experience dealing with this issue before, or if this is something they just started yesterday.

Long time reader. First post.

I bought a two-pack with four tickets to games against Ohio and Nebraska. My in-laws are from Lincoln and a few of their friends wanted to come up to the Husker-Gopher game and asked me to get four tickets a couple weeks ago. I called GopherSports last week and they said I had to wait until 9/23 to get the single game tickets for Neb or Wisc. I asked how much it would be for seats equivalent to my two-pack seats and was told $100/ticket.

I called in this morning to get the four tickets and was told that due to a spike in demand, the tickets were now $125 each. I was pretty upset with the ticket broker about how the spike in price and he was sympathetic (he even waived that stupid $10/ticket fee).

I understand price adjustments based on demand, and that Wisc/Neb should cost more than Illinois, Kent St, etc. That said, I feel like raising ticket prices within a season is a little unnecessary. I guess I was just frustrated that it wasn't mentioned to me last week or this week until I asked why my bill was over $500.

Good for Minnesota to have created such a demand. Capitalism at its finest, probably just following the same formula as the airline industry! At the risk of offending all of my Minnesota friends, are Minnesotans really this cheap? The big boy programs sell out 80,000-105,000 at the same prices our Gopher fans bitch about and we have trouble selling out 50,000. Just saying

Top Bottom