Nebraska vs Minnesota Post Game Thread

Did anyone watch Ersery? Curious how he did overall.

I focused on him for a couple series, and he certainly seemed to hold his own. Early on he didn't finish a couple blocks and let his man cross his face. But all in all, his positioning, hand placement, footwork all seemed solid. He threw one of the key blocks on Mo's 1st qtr TD run. Great to see his contribution today.

Young man has a GREAT frame. And hopefully a bright future.

So I'm obviously pretty thrilled about this win (I live in NE), but it's time to take that next step for this program. We need to start beating Iowa & Wisco consistently, or at least more consistently than we have been. Row the Boat!!!

This was such an impressive win for the program. Not just down 33 guys, but not practicing for 2 weeks. The starting C was out, the starting RG was out. They played a true Freshman, Esery at RT. The Gophers had their top 3 blocking TE's out for this game and dressed only two TE's total (Spann Ford and true Freshman Austin Henderson. On defense Dew-Treadway and Lindenberg were out as starters. Then you had Bateman out and Mo on a pitch count as the two best players on this offense.

I didn't want them to play, I thought the risk of injury in a meaningless game with a very low chance to win said meaningless game was too high. I was wrong. They beat Nebraska more convincingly than Iowa did a couple weeks ago at home. I have gripes about certain things the coaches did today, but big picture getting this team ready to compete (and win) a B1G football game under these conditions was incredibly impressive.

One big picture thought: This team badly needs an infusion of speed on offense (arguably on defense too). I was so angry when Cam Wiley got caught from behind today. I thought we played that guy (to our detriment) last year because his upside was so high. I lived with the mistakes this year, because of that reported upside, he seems like he's just an upright runner with ok speed. The WR's made catches (especially true freshman Daniel Jackson), but didn't threaten vertically (on the Jackson "drop" that LB was way closer to him in coverage than he had any right to be). At some point we need to be able to break 70 yard big plays where we run away from people.

Regarding Cam Wiley and Daniel Jackson...
Almost seemed like both were not good with running on a snowy / possibly slippery field. May have slowed them some.

So I'm obviously pretty thrilled about this win (I live in NE), but it's time to take that next step for this program. We need to start beating Iowa & Wisco consistently, or at least more consistently than we have been. Row the Boat!!!

At a point where you consistently beat Wiscy and Iowa, the new concern is beating OSU consistently.
(Then Bama and Clemson).

There's always a new concern.

There was a KFAN caller on Barreiro when the season was starting that said fans would start to believe in the Gophers when they start beating Ohio State.... then it might be time to start believing.

At a point where you consistently beat Wiscy and Iowa, the new concern is beating OSU consistently.
(Then Bama and Clemson).

There was a KFAN caller on Barreiro when the season was starting that said fans would start to believe in the Gophers when they start beating Ohio State.... then it might be time to start believing.
Eh, I personally don't see it that way. I only really see Minnesota, at is height, going to the rise bowl every 2 years or so

Can’t say I expected a win. Thought we’d keep it close because of Mo. Didn’t realize how terrible Martinez was at throwing to wide open guys. Pretty pathetic performance from him.

Frost is a chump. Can’t stand him. So happy.

I honestly think we got lucky Martinez kept playing.

Yep, some of those passes were brutal. Made up for our dropped passes.

I've read some rumblings among Neb fans that Frost has has favorites and he just won't play other guys because of it.

Now everyone loves the next guy in line or the next, but ... might be kinda true.

This was such an impressive win for the program. Not just down 33 guys, but not practicing for 2 weeks. The starting C was out, the starting RG was out. They played a true Freshman, Esery at RT. The Gophers had their top 3 blocking TE's out for this game and dressed only two TE's total (Spann Ford and true Freshman Austin Henderson. On defense Dew-Treadway and Lindenberg were out as starters. Then you had Bateman out and Mo on a pitch count as the two best players on this offense.

I didn't want them to play, I thought the risk of injury in a meaningless game with a very low chance to win said meaningless game was too high. I was wrong. They beat Nebraska more convincingly than Iowa did a couple weeks ago at home. I have gripes about certain things the coaches did today, but big picture getting this team ready to compete (and win) a B1G football game under these conditions was incredibly impressive.

One big picture thought: This team badly needs an infusion of speed on offense (arguably on defense too). I was so angry when Cam Wiley got caught from behind today. I thought we played that guy (to our detriment) last year because his upside was so high. I lived with the mistakes this year, because of that reported upside, he seems like he's just an upright runner with ok speed. The WR's made catches (especially true freshman Daniel Jackson), but didn't threaten vertically (on the Jackson "drop" that LB was way closer to him in coverage than he had any right to be). At some point we need to be able to break 70 yard big plays where we run away from people.
Little harsh on Cam Wiley. Not sure why everyone is so critical of him. He barely played last year, only had 11 carries. He’s only had 19 carries this year. He’s averaging 4.9 ypc. He’s still learning the position.

Its weird not having an inferior QB compared to other teams.
It's a shame Spielman got hurt but .... god damn he wasn't going to get much help this year was he..... he made the right call to get out of husker town.

Little harsh on Cam Wiley. Not sure why everyone is so critical of him. He barely played last year, only had 11 carries. He’s only had 19 carries this year. He’s averaging 4.9 ypc. He’s still learning the position.
I completely agree. I think Wiley looks good and shows a lot of potential. I’m not sure he’s an every down back because of his frame, but he’s a nice change of pace runner who should get 10-12 touches a game going forward. He has the speed to take it to the house anytime he touches it.

I watched Esery he has good feet and quick hands for a tall guy. I came away impressed, no glaring errors and thought He played really well for a kid playing his first college game. He didn't seem overwhelmed at all. He will be a good one.

Regarding Cam Wiley getting caught, guess what, other Big Ten teams have good/great athletes at defensive back. They cover WR's so they are fast and many are faster than RB's. Wiley was fine considering his age and level of development. Wandale is fast but he is a rare athelete.

(Then Bama and Clemson).

The bolded part is so 'Minnesotan"!

I'm going to start believing in the Vikings when they win the Super Bowl more times than New England has.

I'm going to start believing in the Twins when they have more World Series wins than the Yankees do.

I'm going to start believing my doctor knows what she's talking about when she finds a cure for cancer.

I'm going to start feeling proud of my kids when they get academic scholarships to Ivy League schools.

Good grief. What the hell is wrong with sports fans in this town? Gloom and doom, constantly. 'Negative' is always the default position.

Sports = entertainment, people! You're supposed to enjoy cheering on your team(s)! If you can't enjoy them, why bother? Take up a different hobby.

I really enjoyed this game, so many players stepped up. MSM had his best game as a Gopher. CLay Geary made some nice catches. Nathan Boe and Aireontae Ersery stepped in and played well on the OL. Anders Gelecinskyj and Mark Crawfor both kicked well. BSF caught his first TD. Boye Mafe was a beast. I liked the speed of James Gordon at LB. Tyler Nubin contributed with a nice INT. Mo was Mo at RB. Rashad Cheney and Deangelo Carter gave me some hope for the future of the DL. Bring on WI (or MD, PSU, MSU)!

I really enjoyed this game, so many players stepped up. MSM had his best game as a Gopher. CLay Geary made some nice catches. Nathan Boe and Aireontae Ersery stepped in and played well on the OL. Anders Gelecinskyj and Mark Crawfor both kicked well. BSF caught his first TD. Boye Mafe was a beast. I liked the speed of James Gordon at LB. Tyler Nubin contributed with a nice INT. Mo was Mo at RB. Rashad Cheney and Deangelo Carter gave me some hope for the future of the DL. Bring on WI (or MD, PSU, MSU)!

Great analysis. Well said.

Now you, sir, would be a fun guy to watch a Gopher game with!

Some of the other people here: not so much. It would be like watching a game with Reusse!

I watched Esery he has good feet and quick hands for a tall guy. I came away impressed, no glaring errors and thought He played really well for a kid playing his first college game. He didn't seem overwhelmed at all. He will be a good one.
Right on dude. He lacks the push and downfield range that Andries has but that will come. I think he only allowed one hurry so he could grade out fairly well.

Others have commented, but I'll chime in too because I tried to watch him from time to time. Plays way too high, but that's not unexpected for a Frosh. He's just so freaking big and long. I knew very little about him coming into the season but am excited to watch him develop. I was really impressed by how he and Olsen worked together. Nebraska was throwing lots of stunts and twists at that side and got almost nothing going. Ersery and Olsen were passing everything off beautifully.

Film time for Wiley will be good this week. He'll be better player against Wisconsin.

I'm going to start believing in the Vikings when they win the Super Bowl more times than New England has.

I'm going to start believing in the Twins when they have more World Series wins than the Yankees do.

I'm going to start believing my doctor knows what she's talking about when she finds a cure for cancer.

I'm going to start feeling proud of my kids when they get academic scholarships to Ivy League schools.

Good grief. What the hell is wrong with sports fans in this town? Gloom and doom, constantly. 'Negative' is always the default position.

Sports = entertainment, people! You're supposed to enjoy cheering on your team(s)! If you can't enjoy them, why bother? Take up a different hobby.
This negative mentality is exactly what PJF was challenging fans to move forward from last year. As a lifelong Homer I understand the feeling but if you can't enjoy the games then it's time to find something else to be positive about in your life.

What was so ridiculous about it is those fans are the same one's who live and die Vikings thinking we're always just a bad ref call away from being a Super Bowl contender.

(Then Bama and Clemson).

That kind of fan will never really be a Gopher fan because it's clear they aren't a college football fan. I'm not saying that to rip on the person and I've heard similar things but it's completely unrealistic. I think they believe it's the same as fans of Twins being sick of losing to the Yankees.

Top Bottom