Nebraska to Big Ten?

Bisker82

Death From Above
Reaction score
I was watching Sportscenter this morning and on the scroll the had the information that Nebraska was expected to join the Big Ten as early as Friday. I for one, would welcome the Cornhuskers; I think they would be a very good addition.

An early "Welcome aboard!" from Gopherland. It's been too long since we played last.

Nebraska is culturally a better fit for a midwestern conference than Texas. Plus, I would prefer an American team rather than Texas. :p

Nebraska's records against the current BigTen:

vs. Minn: 20-29-2
vs. Iowa: 26-12-3
vs. IU: 7-9-3
vs. PSU: 6-7-0
vs. Ill: 7-2-1
vs. Mich: 2-3-1
vs. MSU: 5-0-0
vs. wisc: 3-2-0
vs. NU: 3-1-0
vs. OSU: 0-2-0
vs. Pur: 0-1-0

Total: 79-68-10

We have played Nebraska more times than we have played PSU, MSU, or OSU.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5265631

Lots of speculation in that article, but according the the "source," Nebraska is leaning towards the Big Ten, but is claiming that no invitation has been extended and that they obviously won't state their intentions until they're 100% sure the BT would welcome them.

I was holding out hope for Notre Dame. The school sucks but the football program does well.

I was holding out hope for Notre Dame. The school sucks but the football program does well.

Don't worry, even if Nebraska signs up, Notre Dame is still the Holy Grail for the conference.

If we get Nebraska, we almost certainly would get Mizzou.... which leaves us with 13 and still looking for one more.... the goal has always been Notre Dame in the end.

Don't worry, even if Nebraska signs up, Notre Dame is still the Holy Grail for the conference.

If we get Nebraska, we almost certainly would get Mizzou.... which leaves us with 13 and still looking for one more.... the goal has always been Notre Dame in the end.

At first I thought the more the merrier, but the consequence of a super-sized conference to me aren't very appealing. I seriously hope we don't add more than one team. If it has to be Nebraska, I guess it's Nebraska. All we do beyond that is dilute the product. Remember the WAC!

I think 1 more team is just right. Right now, we do rotate teams out of the schedule, but they come back in 2 years. The more teams we add, the bigger the gaps will be. If we go all out and make a 16-team super-conference, we're going to be very distanced from the other division, it might as well be a second conference.

This could result in some of the top non-BCS schools getting added to BCS conferences. The Big 12 would have to add members if they lose teams, unless they want to ditch the conference championship game.

I think 1 more team is just right. Right now, we do rotate teams out of the schedule, but they come back in 2 years. The more teams we add, the bigger the gaps will be. If we go all out and make a 16-team super-conference, we're going to be very distanced from the other division, it might as well be a second conference.

This could result in some of the top non-BCS schools getting added to BCS conferences. The Big 12 would have to add members if they lose teams, unless they want to ditch the conference championship game.

If the big12 loses Neb and Mizz, you can kiss the big12 goodbye for good. The texas and oklahoma schools will bolt to the Pac10. If Nebraska leaves, there is no viable replacement for them in the north, and if there is no north, there the two division system fails, and the whole conference will be no good. Texas needs Nebraska for a viable big12, whether they want to admit it or not.

In the end, though, you are right. If what i just described above does happen, then look for the Mountain West to upgrade bigtime by picking up Kan, KSU, ISU, CU (or Baylor), BoiseSt. Effectively ascending to BCS status replacing the big12.

If the big12 loses Neb and Mizz, you can kiss the big12 goodbye for good. The texas and oklahoma schools will bolt to the Pac10.

In the end, though, you are right. If what i just described above does happen, then look for the Mountain West to upgrade bigtime by picking up Kan, KSU, ISU, CU (or Baylor), BoiseSt. And effectively replacing the big12 as a (admittedly weak) BCS conference.

I think the reverse is more likely, that the remainder of the Big 12 picks off teams from the MWC and the WAC. It winds up being nearly the same, except the resulting conference would be stronger, as it would not have to deal with the bottom of the MWC.

I think if you took the top half of the WAC and the top half of the MWC it would be a pretty good conference. Take the remnants of the Big 12, and it might be even better.

It's interesting that the Big Ten seems to hold the keys that will shake up all of college football.:D

I think the reverse is more likely, that the remainder of the Big 12 picks off teams from the MWC and the WAC. It winds up being nearly the same, except the resulting conference would be stronger, as it would not have to deal with the bottom of the MWC.

I think if you took the top half of the WAC and the top half of the MWC it would be a pretty good conference. Take the remnants of the Big 12, and it might be even better.

Yeah, that's quite possible. Would be kinda messy deciding who's in and who's not from the MWC and WAC, but yeah it could be better in the end.

Question: let's say the BigTen does officially invite Nebraska..... how likely is it that Missouri tags right along with them? Would Nebraska prefer Mizzou also be invited?

I know that Nebraska is fed up with the Texas schools, but it seems odd that a program which puts so much stock in its rich history would so easily abandon all of its big12 and big8 rivals.

I know that Nebraska is fed up with the Texas schools, but it seems odd that a program which puts so much stock in its rich history would so easily abandon all of its big12 and big8 rivals.

Their only true rival has been Oklahoma. They don't play on a yearly basis anymore anyway.

They have a very long rivalry with Kansas, but it has been ridiculously one sided.

They've had short lived recent rivalries with Kansas State and Colorado, but neither of those go back a long way.

I think Nebraska would try to play Oklahoma as a non-conference opponent on a yearly basis. That would get them closer to their history.

Question: let's say the BigTen does officially invite Nebraska..... how likely is it that Missouri tags right along with them? Would Nebraska prefer Mizzou also be invited?

To be honest from the Nebraska perspective the rivalries they had from the Big 8 days are gone with only playing Oklahoma in a 2 on 2 off rotation. Also, the Big 12 north schools that look to be left behind from either the Big 10 or the Pac 10 dug their own grave unfortunately and will get no help from Nebraska now. The KU president and U.S. senators have asked Nebraska to stay but KU and the rest of the Big 12 north schools should have thought about that before voting against Nebraska on every issue that ever mattered to them previously, such as rotating the Big 12 CCG. KU, KSU, and ISU sided with Texas often because they were largely afraid of upsetting the apple cart and ending up in a situation similar to what they are in now, they just never thought it would be Nebraska upsetting the cart. A lot of those schools as well just didn't care about a lot of the football issues such as the Big 12 CCG as they were more concerned about basketball. While Nebraska supported them on those votes, they ran scared when it came to voting against Texas on football matters. They made their bed by being meek cowards and now they can lie in it.

To be honest from the Nebraska perspective the rivalries they had from the Big 8 days are gone with only playing Oklahoma in a 2 on 2 off rotation. Also, the Big 12 north schools that look to be left behind from either the Big 10 or the Pac 10 dug their own grave unfortunately and will get no help from Nebraska now. The KU president and U.S. senators have asked Nebraska to stay but KU and the rest of the Big 12 north schools should have thought about that before voting against Nebraska on every issue that ever mattered to them previously, such as rotating the Big 12 CCG. KU, KSU, and ISU sided with Texas often because they were largely afraid of upsetting the apple cart and ending up in a situation similar to what they are in now, they just never thought it would be Nebraska upsetting the cart. A lot of those schools as well just didn't care about a lot of the football issues such as the Big 12 CCG as they were more concerned about basketball. While Nebraska supported them on those votes, they ran scared when it came to voting against Texas on football matters. They made their bed by being meek cowards and now they can lie in it.

For a gopher fan you seem very passionate and knowledgable regarding Nebraska football.

I don't understand taking just Nebraska into the league right now. Sure, it strengthens the conference's football profile. But it doesn't really grow the footprint of the league at all. And it still leaves the football power in the conference tilting heavily to the East.

I get the idea there is a whole lot happening behind the scenes right now. Maybe everything that's been very public, or purposely leaked (such as the PacTen-Big 12 South merger), is nothing more than a desperate reaction/ PR campaign/ Pipe Dream.

For Nebraska's part, I think they are better-off in a Division with Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois and Wisconsin than Iowa State, Colorado, Missouri and Kansas regardless of where everyone else ends up.

For a gopher fan you seem very passionate and knowledgable regarding Nebraska football.

It's called growing up and spending 18 years in Lincoln and watching tons of games as a kid and having several friends and former teammates play there, and then going to Minnesota for my undergrad degree.

This may be a situation where those teams that jump ship first do better than those that have a wait and see approach. Texas can write their own ticket, but other teams may not have that luxury. If a team decides to "go down with the ship", they may be eating the crumbs.

It's called growing up and spending 18 years in Lincoln and watching tons of games as a kid and having several friends and former teammates play there, and then going to Minnesota for my undergrad degree.

Well there ya go. :)

I can't lie. I think Nebraska is a great fit for the Big Ten. I could be wrong, but I could see a Neb-Iowa turning into an instant rivalry that would make for great entertainment.

Where did you go to high school and what year did you graduate?

It's interesting to see some of the responses on the Nebraska boards about the potential move to the Big Ten, particularly by those opposed to the move. Some of the fans are opposed because they don't want to break up with their historic Big 8 rivals, and some don't want to break up with the Big 12 rivals.

People have a tendency to imagine that they way things were when they were kids. For the older fans, the Big 12 will have been just a blip.

Top Bottom