Nebraska Offense This Year

Gophergrandpa

Reaction score
In six games this year, Nebraska has run 450 plays and piled up 3024 yards of offense (1425 rushing; 1599 passing), for an average of 506 yards per game. Of those 1425 rushing yards, 412 are Adrian Martinez on 80 attempts (which includes all negative yardage sacks). Nebraska is by far the most balanced and prolific offense in the B1G West this year. In five games so far, the Gophers have run 318 plays for 1671 yards of offense (962 rushing; 709 passing), for an average of 334 yards per game. Nebraska has scored 26 TDs and is averaging 32.3 points per game. Minnesota has scored 15 TDs and is averaging 24.4 points per game. Only weak spot for Nebraska is FG kicking, which has been spotty.

In the past few years, we have relied upon Nebraska to beat itself via untimely penalties and lots of turnovers, which derail drives and render lofty offensive yardage numbers less meaningful in relation to the final score. But Nebraska appears to be less mistake prone this year. If we are to win this year's game, our defense must play stout (and stop Martinez from piling up rushing yardage, among other things)--and hopefully force some timely turnovers. But we still could come up short (or get trounced) if our offensive game plan is simply to hold the ball and run very few plays (eat the clock), 80% of them RUTM. With Mo and Trey out, unless we see something from our remaining RBs that hasn't shown through so far, the Gophers passing game needs to be an equal (or dominant) participant in our offense against Nebraska.

Or, we could pray for the Nebraska offense to once again shoot itself in the foot with untimely penalties and lots of turnovers ...

I'm more worried about OUR defense than Neb's offense.

Nothing about Frost's teams historically makes me thinking somehow over night he figured it all out ... but our defense, while not as bad as i worried, has shown issues with big plays.

Nebraska against Northwestern, Fordham and Buffalo: 45.33ppg, 602 yards.

Nebraska against Illinois, MSU and Oklahoma: 19.33ppgs, 406 yards.

Its almost like they dominated 3 really shitty teams and struggled to score against a shitty team and two good teams.

Last edited:

Its almost like they dominated 3 really shitty teams and struggled to score about a shitty team and two good teams.
Naw you don't get it, it's the 90s again!

Or, we could pray for the Nebraska offense to once again shoot itself in the foot with untimely penalties and lots of turnovers ...
Or pray that Scott Frost is still the coach by game time.

Total defense rankings for the teams Nebraska has played:

42. Oklahoma
78. Buffalo
97. Illinois
103. Michigan St
113. Northwestern
119. (FCS) Fordham.

The Gophers are currently ranked 29th. Gophers opponents rank in Total Defense:

24. Purdue
48. Bowling Green
71. Miami (OH)
74. Colorado
84. Ohio St

i'm excited for the game, more so than normal

I think it'll be good barometer for both teams

Nebraska is little better than I thought
MN is a little worse than I thought, and now missing their top 2 backs. I'll be impressed if we can keep it rolling over Nebbie

Total defense rankings for the teams Nebraska has played:

42. Oklahoma
78. Buffalo
97. Illinois
103. Michigan St
113. Northwestern
119. (FCS) Fordham.

The Gophers are currently ranked 29th. Gophers opponents rank in Total Defense:

24. Purdue
48. Bowling Green
71. Miami (OH)
74. Colorado
84. Ohio St
I gotta think at least Bowling Green's ranking is a little inflated by having our performance on the record. Using this data kind of leaves a chicken or egg type of dilemma.

Here's hoping the Huskers leave a lot on the field after Michigan, an emotional must game played at night before a huge crowd. Hope they are flat in Minneapolis. If they were playing Minnesota tomorrow in Lincoln it would be bad news for the Gophers.

But we still could come up short (or get trounced) if our offensive game plan is simply to hold the ball and run very few plays (eat the clock), 80% of them RUTM. With Mo and Trey out, unless we see something from our remaining RBs that hasn't shown through so far, the Gophers passing game needs to be an equal (or dominant) participant in our offense against Nebraska.

Nebraska's defense is #5 in the B1G against the pass, and #8 against the run.

I'm guessing that P.J. Fleck will view the success of Nebraska's offense in much the same way as he looked at Purdue's vaunted pass-happy offense. To Fleck, the best way to stifle a high-powered offense is to keep them off the field.

You may disagree with that approach, but that's how Fleck sees things. If I'm betting, I'd wager Minnesota stays true to the Fleck version of Tressel Ball. Brace yourself, because there will be RUTM in the Nebraska game.

That said, I'd love to be able to see what happens if Autman-Bell, Wright, Jackson and Brown-Stephens are all healthy and ready to go against the Cornhuskers.

I don't think I'm seeing things with maroon colored glasses here, but I probably am.

I think Nebraska's too mistake-prone to really beat our defense bad. We tackle well, we keep things in front of us, our front line gets a push, I just think Adrian Martinez will likely put up good yardage but have enough mistakes that our defense wins that matchup while giving up some yardage.

Here's hoping the Huskers leave a lot on the field after Michigan, an emotional must game played at night before a huge crowd. Hope they are flat in Minneapolis. If they were playing Minnesota tomorrow in Lincoln it would be bad news for the Gophers.
Here's hoping the Gophs just beat them straight up. No excuses. Gophs are playing #3/4 string RBs, have barely had the benefit of its #1 WR, and have backups in on defense.

Its almost like they dominated 3 really shitty teams and struggled to score against a shitty team and two good teams.
And they still have that patented Nebraska ability under Frost to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in close games. Very curious to see how they look tomorrow against Michigan. They are playing decent football right now but I still like our chances against them.

Martinez is doing it by himself. Nebraska has found the spread is working for them as it allows Martinez to take off when things break down. Defenses will adjust as the year wears on. He does not have a great arm and if they get behind in a game they will be in trouble. Worse, if Martinez goes down you will see this offense is much more of a turd with a less talented QB.

Martinez is doing it by himself. Nebraska has found the spread is working for them as it allows Martinez to take off when things break down. Defenses will adjust as the year wears on. He does not have a great arm and if they get behind in a game they will be in trouble. Worse, if Martinez goes down you will see this offense is much more of a turd with a less talented QB.

Yeah, that's sounds right, Walter. Solid analysis.

But I still say the In-and-Out Burger is on Camrose, man.

I gotta think at least Bowling Green's ranking is a little inflated by having our performance on the record. Using this data kind of leaves a chicken or egg type of dilemma.
So did you want to bet the Gopher/Nebraska game or not?

Yeah, that's sounds right, Walter. Solid analysis.

But I still say the In-and-Out Burger is on Camrose, man.
Agree. Martinez is hauling twice his weight. In games where he is neutralized or goes off script, Nebraska’s offense sputters …

more triple option than spread
Right. A form of triple option. Have had some success running it, especially against NWern. Michigan is preparing for it. Interesting to see what defense Michigan plays to stop it. A lot of folks on the Nebraska fan forum think that Nebraska is going to beat Michigan (night game in Lincoln) for Frost’s first “signature” win.

If the weather holds, this is the game Sanford keeps his job or something else happens.

In six games this year, Nebraska has run 450 plays and piled up 3024 yards of offense (1425 rushing; 1599 passing), for an average of 506 yards per game. Of those 1425 rushing yards, 412 are Adrian Martinez on 80 attempts (which includes all negative yardage sacks). Nebraska is by far the most balanced and prolific offense in the B1G West this year. In five games so far, the Gophers have run 318 plays for 1671 yards of offense (962 rushing; 709 passing), for an average of 334 yards per game. Nebraska has scored 26 TDs and is averaging 32.3 points per game. Minnesota has scored 15 TDs and is averaging 24.4 points per game. Only weak spot for Nebraska is FG kicking, which has been spotty.

In the past few years, we have relied upon Nebraska to beat itself via untimely penalties and lots of turnovers, which derail drives and render lofty offensive yardage numbers less meaningful in relation to the final score. But Nebraska appears to be less mistake prone this year. If we are to win this year's game, our defense must play stout (and stop Martinez from piling up rushing yardage, among other things)--and hopefully force some timely turnovers. But we still could come up short (or get trounced) if our offensive game plan is simply to hold the ball and run very few plays (eat the clock), 80% of them RUTM. With Mo and Trey out, unless we see something from our remaining RBs that hasn't shown through so far, the Gophers passing game needs to be an equal (or dominant) participant in our offense against Nebraska.

OK you convinced me Nebraska will beat the Gophers.

OK you convinced me Nebraska will beat the Gophers.
Just making the case that we need to have a normal passing game against Nebraska (for the first game since Ohio State). I think we can beat Nebraska if we play a balanced offense; I think we lose (maybe get mauled) if we play the Miami and/or Bowling Green offensive playbook.

Just making the case that we need to have a normal passing game against Nebraska (for the first game since Ohio State). I think we can beat Nebraska if we play a balanced offense; I think we lose (maybe get mauled) if we play the Miami and/or Bowling Green offensive playbook.
A lot of the people were down on Nebraska. I think they are an up and coming team that will give the Gophers real problems regardless of our passing game.

I'm more worried about OUR defense than Neb's offense.

Nothing about Frost's teams historically makes me thinking somehow over night he figured it all out ... but our defense, while not as bad as i worried, has shown issues with big plays.
Not really other than against OSU.

Top Bottom