Nebraska game postponed due to Covid

Nebraska’s next game against Iowa also postponed. So that makes 5 Big Ten games for them. Highly unlikely this will get made up.

Kudos to our guys/staff for the efforts they've put in to follow the rules and keep covid at bay.
Yeah. But when you say it like that it implies teams that get Covid aren’t “following the rules”

If Minnesota gets it at some point it doesn’t necessarily mean they did something wrong

Yeah. But when you say it like that it implies teams that get Covid aren’t “following the rules”

If Minnesota gets it at some point it doesn’t necessarily mean they did something wrong

Okay. Feel free to make any assumption you'd like to - if it's that important for you to parse my comments to that level.

I know of numerous people who have gotten sick with it because of where I live (Queens, NY) and the type of work I did pre-covid (homeless shelter). The ones who didn't contract it at work, some told me they weren't as careful as they should have in their day to day activities. The ones who got sick at wok in a homeless shelter, a school or a coffee shop they own were in a different situation due to their high level of interactions with people.

The basketball team to my knowledge are operating in a quasi bubble/bubble with frequent testing and limited interactions with none team folks - so this mitigates their risk.

Young men that age are prone to take more risks; many who make a mistake in their behavior will won't admit to it - so yes, why the Gophers could still catch it if they did everything right, there is a higher probability IMO that they wouldn't.

The reality is that no one knows what does of doesn't happen; it was an off-handed comment that's all.

I'll just come out and say it. Why do the Gophers get 9 straight games against ranked teams (counting NET top 15, was AP-ranked Saint Louis) and then 0-5 Nebraska gets the 'rona and can't play? :rolleyes:

Nebraska’s next game against Iowa also postponed. So that makes 5 Big Ten games for them. Highly unlikely this will get made up.

And may be for the better that it doesn't happen. A win vs. Nebraska does nothing for our resume, a loss would be looked at as a blemish. Playing them just lowers our SOS which looks so good as it stands right now.

Okay. Feel free to make any assumption you'd like to - if it's that important for you to parse my comments to that level.

I know of numerous people who have gotten sick with it because of where I live (Queens, NY) and the type of work I did pre-covid (homeless shelter). The ones who didn't contract it at work, some told me they weren't as careful as they should have in their day to day activities. The ones who got sick at wok in a homeless shelter, a school or a coffee shop they own were in a different situation due to their high level of interactions with people.

The basketball team to my knowledge are operating in a quasi bubble/bubble with frequent testing and limited interactions with none team folks - so this mitigates their risk.

Young men that age are prone to take more risks; many who make a mistake in their behavior will won't admit to it - so yes, why the Gophers could still catch it if they did everything right, there is a higher probability IMO that they wouldn't.

The reality is that no one knows what does of doesn't happen; it was an off-handed comment that's all.
I wasn’t trying to say you thought what I said. More pointing out it could be read that way. Wasn’t a judgement on you

And may be for the better that it doesn't happen. A win vs. Nebraska does nothing for our resume, a loss would be looked at as a blemish. Playing them just lowers our SOS which looks so good as it stands right now.

Very true. A variable is what effect will there be on us as a result of another week off. Seemed to help that we had a week off before michigan.

Kudos to our guys/staff for the efforts they've put in to follow the rules and keep covid at bay.

Don't forget, the Gopher men's basketball program was shut down/placed on pause for nearly a week in November and didn't have a full squad practice for nearly 2 weeks prior to the start of the season, so we were hit, just at a different time.

Don't forget, the Gopher men's basketball program was shut down/placed on pause for nearly a week in November and didn't have a full squad practice for nearly 2 weeks prior to the start of the season, so we were hit, just at a different time.

Yeah, I forgot, good point.

I am taking this positive view of the cancellation. The Gophers had 3 days off and looked fresh a d ready to play against Michigan. So if they have a few days off maybe they will be very ready for the Maryland game and get another quality win.

Who gives a rip about the HC being there? What happened to “if you have 6 guys that are negative you’re going to play.“

Who gives a rip about the HC being there? What happened to “if you have 6 guys that are negative you’re going to play.“

They have seven players in isolation and unavailable. They have a head coach who is out, and four other staff members out. They can't even practice. Heck yes they are postponing.

I understand what you are saying but on the other hand we need to show we can win on the road and Nebraska could have been a good place to start that. It may also have been a game that could have the reserves getting more playing time. I for one would like to see a little more of Freeman and Matrice Mitchell.

I understand what you are saying but on the other hand we need to show we can win on the road and Nebraska could have been a good place to start that. It may also have been a game that could have the reserves getting more playing time. I for one would like to see a little more of Freeman and Matrice Mitchell.
Agree with this. By far, the biggest blemish on the Gophers resume right now is the 0-4 road record. 2-4 looks much better, even if those two wins are against Nebraska or other weak teams.

Agree with this. By far, the biggest blemish on the Gophers resume right now is the 0-4 road record. 2-4 looks much better, even if those two wins are against Nebraska or other weak teams.
Certainly hurts NET when you look at the road record of others.

I dont know if I remember hearing but how are they determining B1G champ? Has to be win % right? I agree there isn't a lot of upside outside of it essentially hurting our win %. Would suck to "lose" out on 2-4 positions in the standings simply because we didn't get to whoop on Nebraska

First, given Fred's previous heart issues I really hope he's experiencing mild symptoms at worst.

I would have really like to see the Gophers get that game on the road both to hopefully get a road win and establish some momentum. The Nebraska games are the best opportunity (on paper) to get more minutes for guys 6-8 in the rotation and hopefully get them to start playing better.

Maryland scheduled a last minute game this week with a D2 school when there game was canceled. I wonder if Minnesota would consider trying to do something similar this week?

Maryland scheduled a last minute game this week with a D2 school when there game was canceled. I wonder if Minnesota would consider trying to do something similar this week?

Teams cannot play more than 27 games. The Gophers have already played seven non-conference games. So, they cannot add another non-conference game, unless they are 100% certain the Nebraska game will not be made up.

Maryland had FOUR non-conference games canceled earlier, so had plenty of wiggle room to add another game. Turgeon made an interesting comment on adding the game, saying they felt adding a D-II school would be better than adding a really bad D-I team. D-II game doesn't count in NET or SOS ranking. Hosting a bad D-I would count negatively for them, as a current bubble team.

This. We need road wins and this was one of our best chances. That said, way too early to assume it won't be made up

Very true. A variable is what effect will there be on us as a result of another week off. Seemed to help that we had a week off before michigan.

Indeed, but, with the huge upset still fresh in our hearts and minds, we are ravenous for another game - especially one that probably would have given us our first road victory of the season. We had been lucky so far with none of our games getting cancelled so I guess we were due.

This. We need road wins and this was one of our best chances. That said, way too early to assume it won't be made up

Cool thing about basically as opposed to football is you can play multiple games in a week, even back to back games, if you wanted/needed to.

Well said. Everyone that I know who has had Covid19 has worn a mask and followed the rules. Me on the other the other hand, I'm 30 and live in Scottsdale Arizona. I've been going to the bars and doing the best I can to follow the rules. No Covid19 for me. Just had my first negative test. The truth is that you cannot hide from Covid. Some are far more prone to get it than others. Just like the Flu. I hope we can make this Nebraska game up it would be nice to add a road win!

For sure. We should just have in person school without teachers too

Cool thing about basically as opposed to football is you can play multiple games in a week, even back to back games, if you wanted/needed to.
Minnesota plays Nebraska on Feb 8. Perhaps they should look into playing back-to-back neutral site games over a two or three day period. That would really help Nebraska get on the right track for their re-scheduling purposes.

Minnesota plays Nebraska on Feb 8. Perhaps they should look into playing back-to-back neutral site games over a two or three day period. That would really help Nebraska get on the right track for their re-scheduling purposes.
Sioux Falls would make sense. The downside is that it's very hard to beat a team twice in 3 days as we've already seen.

Sioux Falls would make sense. The downside is that it's very hard to beat a team twice in 3 days as we've already seen.
True. It is not the best case for Minnesota as it takes away a good chance at a road win, but it makes a lot of sense for the conference.

Top Bottom