Nebraska -> Big Ten -> Academic Recruiting

everybody knows my name

Freakishly Hyperintelligent
Reaction score
Interesting article.

http://journalstar.com/news/local/e...9-52fb-5e98-a02f-55a5cbc7045f.html?mode=story

When UNL recruiters did make it in the door, out-of-state students often asked them: Are you in the Big Ten?

"We would say, ‘No, but we're like the Big Ten,'" Cerveny said.

To Hunter, the shift to the Big Ten gives UNL recruiters an opportunity to showcase the university's many strengths that were there even before the move was announced.

She said the university's engineering, business and journalism colleges have been especially popular among students who have been unable to gain admission into similar programs at other Big Ten schools.

"People are seeing our campus as another opportunity to get the Big Ten experience outside of their current market," she said.

She recounted the story of a Minnesota teenager who had been ridiculed by his friends for picking UNL instead of a Big Ten school. After UNL announced it would be joining the Big Ten, the teenager's friends stopped making fun of him.

I'm in Lincoln right now at the home of some friends down here (complete with Husker flag on the flagpole, Blackshirts flag on the other flagpole, and Nebraska logo on the spray-painted house number on the curb). My beer is on a friggin' husker coaster right now.

Last night I was talking to the patriarch of the family about things like this. He heard or read from one of the coordinators that in past years they would send out 200 letters or some type of contact to high schools, or individual players in MI, IL, PA, etc. (making up numbers here, but he said they would be somewhat representative), and they would get answers from 5 to 10 schools. Ever since the announcement of joining the B10 those numbers have jumped to the neighborhood of 100 - 120.

The school also purchased the land that was used for the state fair and they are creating something called the Innovation Campus. He didn't go into any detail about what this is, but I guess there is quite a bit of buzz from the loyal followers down here.

Top Bottom