Nebraska athletic director says 8-9 wins is a 'realistic expectation' for the 2021 season

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score

I wonder if someone is setting a benchmark here...and if they don't hit it....

It'd be great to get into that 8-9 wins, to start getting back into the picture of conference championships and talking about more postseason. And I think in Year 4, for Scott Frost, that's a realistic expectation."

They are capable of a 8-9 season wins if the stars are aligned. Anything is possible in the Big Ten West with every team loaded with added depth.

Who are they going to throw under the bus if it doesn't work to expectations?

I wonder if someone is setting a benchmark here...and if they don't hit it....
Have to think that 3 straight sub .500 seasons is not sitting well with anyone in Lincoln. Frost is their golden boy but his seat is getting a little warm. If they struggle again this year I would think there would be a lot of calls out there for them to send him packing.

As long as one of the victories doesn't come over the Gophers.......

It is a realistic expectation for Nebraska football. It's also unlikely to be achieved.

I would say 6-7 losses is also a realistic expectation.

Good news for Nebraska as the Buffalo game I would’ve picked them to lose has no become winnable as the Buffalo coach is going to Kansas?

Why he would go there instead of waiting another year I’ll never know

Will be interesting to see what happens if they have another sub .500 year in year 4 under Frost. With the AD going public with this expectation now it might mean that if they fall short of that target it might mean the end of Frost's run there.

Will be interesting to see what happens if they have another sub .500 year in year 4 under Frost. With the AD going public with this expectation now it might mean that if they fall short of that target it might mean the end of Frost's run there.
Moos will have to shed his antlers.

Cornhuskers used to fire coaches for winning only 9 games. Now, that's the goal.
Haha, that is exactly what I was thinking. The goal for Scott Frost's fourth season is to match (or come in one game worse than) Bo Pelini's worst season at Nebraska (and Tracy Claeys' only full season at Minnesota)? And they still think of themselves as some kind of blue blood dynasty? How long does Frost get to match PJ Fleck's third season?

Very high probability that Nebraska will lose to Ohio State and Oklahoma. If Nebraska underachieves vis-a-vis its nominal talent (as in prior Frost years), there is a reasonably high probability of several more losses among the Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Northwestern and Minnesota grouping as well. And Michigan State could be a wild card. Nebraska lost a lot of experienced talent from last year; it has a lot of young, unproven talent on board that could explode--but it often takes time for that talent to mature. And Nebraska seems to injure more of its players in spring and fall practice than any other team in the B1G ... I think a realistic fan would set 6-7 wins as a good year for Nebraska in 2021--though Moos at this late date might not be a realistic fan.

Article states that Scott Frost is a legend! I thought you had to have good results to be considered a legend after a period of time.

(Program legend Scott Frost returned to coach the program, but is 12-20 in three seasons.)

Article states that Scott Frost is a legend! I thought you had to have good results to be considered a legend after a period of time.

(Program legend Scott Frost returned to coach the program, but is 12-20 in three seasons.)
Legend as a player.

With that schedule anything less than eight wins would put NE under Frost permanently in the also rans of the BIG

With that schedule anything less than eight wins would put NE under Frost permanently in the also rans of the BIG
I put Nebraska’s over/under at 6.5 this year. It goes up if Martinez has a great year as a passer, they field a couple of decent RBs, and some of their young WRs turn out to be B1G caliber. If Martinez can’t connect on longer passes, and he ends up as one of the team’s primary running backs (because the real RBs are ineffective), Nebraska might win only 5 or 6. This was a team that used a skinny WR (Wan’dale) and a QB as their running game last year. Wan’dale transferred.

Last edited:

I put Nebraska’s over/under at 6.5 this year. It goes up if Marinez has a great year as a passer, they field a couple of decent RBs, and some of their young WRs turn out to be B1G caliber. If Martinez can’t connect on longer passes, and he ends up as one of the team’s primary running backs (because the real RBs are ineffective), Nebraska might win only 5 or 6. This was a team that used a skinny WR (Wan’dale) and a QB as their running game last year. Wan’dale transferred.
So did the QB and multiple other players.
I do not disagree with your assessment.
But I find it interesting that the NE AD has done from crowing about national and conference championships when Frost was hired to setting a goal of a W/L record that could only win the West Division of the BIG.

Top Bottom