Neal: Gophers need more than P.J. Fleck's 'one-week championships' with Iowa showdown nearing

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Neal:

Gophers coach P.J. Fleck calls it a one-game championship season. It's a catchy little phrase intended to get his players to focus on the necessary preparation to be successful that particular week and not look ahead.

We get it. Young men need direction and focus so the entire room can sweat the small stuff before Saturday comes. Secure the blinders. Stay in the moment. Don't worry about potential big matchups later in the season.

So far, the Gophers have won the Miami (Ohio) championship, Colorado championship, Purdue championship, Nebraska championship and Maryland championship.Whew. The trophy case must be overflowing with all these weekly titles.

Except for a big misstep against Bowling Green, the Gophers have used this approach to craft a 5-2 record as they enter Ryan Field on Saturday to take on Northwestern.

Fleck can say what he wants to keep his lads from peeking down the schedule. That doesn't mean everyone else has to.

The Gophers can keep creeping into the West Division championship conversation, especially heading into back-to-back games they should win against teams from the Land of Lincoln. There is a clear path to a big game at Iowa on Nov. 13, where their fate will be in their own hands.

Go Gophers!!

per Neal:

Gophers coach P.J. Fleck calls it a one-game championship season. It's a catchy little phrase intended to get his players to focus on the necessary preparation to be successful that particular week and not look ahead.

We get it. Young men need direction and focus so the entire room can sweat the small stuff before Saturday comes. Secure the blinders. Stay in the moment. Don't worry about potential big matchups later in the season.

So far, the Gophers have won the Miami (Ohio) championship, Colorado championship, Purdue championship, Nebraska championship and Maryland championship.Whew. The trophy case must be overflowing with all these weekly titles.

Except for a big misstep against Bowling Green, the Gophers have used this approach to craft a 5-2 record as they enter Ryan Field on Saturday to take on Northwestern.

Fleck can say what he wants to keep his lads from peeking down the schedule. That doesn't mean everyone else has to.

The Gophers can keep creeping into the West Division championship conversation, especially heading into back-to-back games they should win against teams from the Land of Lincoln. There is a clear path to a big game at Iowa on Nov. 13, where their fate will be in their own hands.

Go Gophers!!
Lavelle needs to start gaining his insights about the requisite focus of our fandom and the ability to win from the gopherhole and stop bloviating.

Geezus. Shut up.

Lavelle has now shifted his talents and focus to "sh!tty, uninformed hack," like his co-workers and peers.

They can begin to start creeping into the conversation again now that they’re tied for firsts place with two of the top 3 playing each other this weekend.

Like it or not, the media is going to have to deal with the gophers as a west contender if they beat northwestern this weekend.

Someone should check the drinking water at the Strip. Earlier I thought the Gopher athletics would get a fair shot from this columnist. Sorry but no cigar. He has already sided with the other jerks( the drunk,soupan). Can’t they find someone who is at least impartial to the Gophers - let alone support them. Perhaps his boss requires that he write for the majority of Minnesotans, that this those people who really could care less.

I saw a mummy walking in to the Tribune today. It turned out to be Sid. He said he had some people he had to "deal" with. If III jinxed us I will join Sid. Did we quit when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Gave the story a click. The headline and the story itself don't really matchup. Just a puff piece but whoever came up with the headline for it did a horrible job.

How does this guy have a job?
How did he even graduate from college?
Is education a requirement anymore?

How does this guy have a job?
How did he even graduate from college?
Is education a requirement anymore?
Look at some of the others he works with in the sports department. Clearly the standards aren't real high and seemingly have not been for a long time.

Put up or shut up time from PJF and staff. After the magical PSU/Auburn victories in 2019 the bloom is off the rose somewhat to the casual sports fan after the BG bellyflop. The staff will collectively need to put together complete games - offense, defense, and special teams - to defeat Iowa and Wisconsin. Fitzgerald never gives up easy Ws even in down years. The players also have to bring their A games.

Put up or shut up time from PJF and staff. After the magical PSU/Auburn victories in 2019 the bloom is off the rose somewhat to the casual sports fan after the BG bellyflop. The staff will collectively need to put together complete games - offense, defense, and special teams - to defeat Iowa and Wisconsin. Fitzgerald never gives up easy Ws even in down years. The players also have to bring their A games.
It's crazy how 1 game changes everything. Had we beat BG we would be ranked comfortably. Held tOSU to it's fewest points outside of their loss to Oregon. Steamrolled Colorado and a huge win at Purdue. 6-1 and a 6 game win streak would have us at about 15-18.

It's crazy how 1 game changes everything. Had we beat BG we would be ranked comfortably. Held tOSU to it's fewest points outside of their loss to Oregon. Steamrolled Colorado and a huge win at Purdue. 6-1 and a 6 game win streak would have us at about 15-18.

My more casual Gopher fan family and friends stopped messaging me about the Gophers after BG except to say someone’s head needs to roll. I agreed then and still agree. In my little sphere of influence that game singlehandedly blew up interest. It will take a string of Ws and a win at eg Kinnick to reignite some real interest. Is what it is. 🤷‍♂️

I mean why even write this? Just so boring.

P.J. Fleck can say what he wants to keep Gophers players from peeking down the schedule. That doesn't mean everyone else has to act that way.

What is the premise here? Insecure 9 year olds telling folks "you're not the boss of me"?

Lavelle is great on baseball and soccer. Seems like a really good dude too. But maybe college football is outside his wheelhouse.
"Outside his wheelhouse?" That means "beyond his expertise". That would mean Lavelle does not know or understand anything about how sports coaches motivate and manage their players. That would also imply that he knows nothing about sports at all or sports writing at all.

Maybe, this is just being him an a-hole, which is apparently "inside his wheelhouse".

I saw a mummy walking in to the Tribune today. It turned out to be Sid. He said he had some people he had to "deal" with. If III jinxed us I will join Sid. Did we quit when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
No doubt Lavell E actually believes the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor, that is, if he has ever heard of Pearl Harbor. He's not very bright, which is requisite for employment at the dirtbag strib.

My more casual Gopher fan family and friends stopped messaging me about the Gophers after BG except to say someone’s head needs to roll. I agreed then and still agree. In my little sphere of influence that game singlehandedly blew up interest. It will take a string of Ws and a win at eg Kinnick to reignite some real interest. Is what it is. 🤷‍♂️
I'm confused. Since the aforementioned string of W's and win at Kinnick have not yet happened, logic would dictate you should not be here, let alone making comments. But, here you are. Why?

I think I know...............

1635538165780.png

Lavelle is a hack. He should stick to writing about baseball and creeping out scantily clad chubby girls at Alery's while they cook frozen pizzas.

He should really never write about college football.

I'm confused. Since the aforementioned string of W's and win at Kinnick have not yet happened, logic would dictate you should not be here, let alone making comments. But, here you are. Why?

I think I know...............

View attachment 15020

I don’t understand a word you just wrote. Is this HomerHole ?

Someone should check the drinking water at the Strip. Earlier I thought the Gopher athletics would get a fair shot from this columnist. Sorry but no cigar. He has already sided with the other jerks( the drunk,soupan). Can’t they find someone who is at least impartial to the Gophers - let alone support them. Perhaps his boss requires that he write for the majority of Minnesotans, that this those people who really could care less.
He's been told he doesn't have enough clicks.

"Outside his wheelhouse?" That means "beyond his expertise". That would mean Lavelle does not know or understand anything about how sports coaches motivate and manage their players. That would also imply that he knows nothing about sports at all or sports writing at all.

Maybe, this is just being him an a-hole, which is apparently "inside his wheelhouse".
Did you read the whole piece? It didn't come off to me as him being an a-hole. Seemed pretty fair overall.

Did you read the whole piece? It didn't come off to me as him being an a-hole. Seemed pretty fair overall.
The opening is weirdly disconnected from the rest of the article.

He should stick to writing about baseball and creeping out scantily clad chubby girls at Alery's while they cook frozen pizzas.
:ROFLMAO: This is a remarkable take down of Lavelle, Alary's and its waitstaff all in one succinct sentence. Well done!

Top Bottom