NDSU vs GOPHERS . Lets Play!

NDSU beat ORAL ROBERTS in game 1 3-2 on saturday vs Oral's ACE pitcher. and we didnt even throw our ace.

it was a great great win for the NDSU program!! should help U of M's RPI!

How great, grand and wonderful for you. Meanwhile, in things we actually care about, the Gophers swept Purdue and are a half-game out of the lead in the Big Ten.

In the past 2 years NDSU has had 2 players drafted into the NFL to the gophers 1. Once again the Bison beating the gophers both on and off the football field.

Gophers
Barber

Bison
Mays,Schommer

Mays with the Eagles: A whopping two games played with no stats
Schommer with the Titans: Good luck making the team
Barber with the Texans: Played in 12 games with 15 tackles and a sack

In the past 2 years NDSU has had 2 players drafted into the NFL to the gophers 1. Once again the Bison beating the gophers both on and off the football field.

Gophers
Barber

Bison
Mays,Schommer

i love how you lame ass weirdos from NDSU pick and choose only certain years of stats to look at - and you still look pathetic while doing it. in the past 2 years NDSU.......blah, blah, blah. 2 years…..wow what a great sample of proving your athletic programs ability!

i don't even want to take the time to start counting out the number of gopher football players who have been drafted over the last decade and who actually play/played in NFL games as starters compared to your little bison squad. it would only embarrass you my friend and make you rethink your post above.

I am just saying its sad that the U of M is one of the largest colleges in the nation. Has way more money and facilities and national attention than the NDSU, but even with all those advantages in this years draft you produced ZERO players. And some FCS school that is 6 times smaller than you did. This was NDSU 1st year of being a True FCS team. I am only comparing the past 2 years because NDSU is finally out of the D2 transition. I wouldn't be shocked if NDSU also got a player drafted in the NBA this year and the gophers again have ZERO.

I wouldn't be shocked if NDSU also got a player drafted in the NBA this year and the gophers again have ZERO.

You'd think with all that talent the Bison would've been competitive at the Barn.

You mean Abu-Shamala and Jon Williams aren't getting drafted?

I am just saying its sad that the U of M is one of the largest colleges in the nation. Has way more money and facilities and national attention than the NDSU, but even with all those advantages in this years draft you produced ZERO players. And some FCS school that is 6 times smaller than you did. This was NDSU 1st year of being a True FCS team. I am only comparing the past 2 years because NDSU is finally out of the D2 transition. I wouldn't be shocked if NDSU also got a player drafted in the NBA this year and the gophers again have ZERO.

Spin (cough) spin.:rolleyes:

Make sure you come back every year and post what happens that year in terms of drafting. I'm sure the Bison will continue to be competitive in that scenario. LOL

I tried to warn people that Lakes wasn't the only one. They do have an amazing ability to pick and choose stats and try to make crazy points about how great they are. To use a one year draft to make any point is just stupid, especially when your one guy was a LATE 7th rounder. I would bet anything that VanDeSteeg makes an NFL roster next year over whatever the NDSU guys name was who got drafted. You could just as easily find little D2 schools like UND(Kleinsasser) or SCSU(Bauman) that have had guys in the NFL for years while NDSU hasn't.

We told you idiots two years ago that Mason didn't leave Brewster much and we are seeing that with the draft the past two years. Starting next year it will change with at least 3-4 Gophers who have a decent shot at getting drafted.

Lets, see, in recent memory, NDSU had Joe Mays in the NFL who didn't record a stat.

I counted 14 Gophers in the NFL off the top of my head and I may be missing some.

How about Marion Baraber, 3,052 yards and 42 TD's the last four years with the Cowboys.
Lawrence Maroney in NE, 1,983 yards and 13 TD's in basically two years since he missed last year with injury.
Heck, even Gary Russell had 3 TD's last year while winning himself a Ring with the Steelers.
Mark Setterstrom is one of the Rams best O-Lineman, Ben Hamilton has started every game for the Broncos since 2002.
Tyrone Carter also got a ring last year and had 3 INT's.
We already saw Mays stats, how about Rookie Dom Barber, well he had 15 tackles and a sack and played every game.
Matt Spaeth also got himself a Ring with the Steelers last year and has 170 yards and 3 TD in two years. Ben Utecht also had 123 yards last year with the Bengals.
Anthony Montgomery has started 23 games the past two years at DT for the Redskins and had 3 sacks last year, Darrell Reid had 30 tackles and 2 sacks last year for the Colts, Greg White had 58 tackles and 13 sacks the past two years for the Bucs.
Even Logan Payne had 3 catches for 39 yards for the Seahawks and Rys Lloyd was the kickoff guy for the Panthers.

As for the NBA draft, please stop before you make yourself look like an even bigger fool. Ben may be a late second rounder but he is an extreme longshot to make a team and we had two seniors last year who didn't play so, Wow, that was quite an observation by you, what a burn on our program.

#8 this year now tyler jangula signed by the sainta today!!

11 total with last years 3-----

Ndsu - oral roberts 2nd day got rained out. ORU had 13 players drafted in the mlb. wow.

They just want something to tell their great-grandchildren about. "Did I ever tell you about the year that NDSU had more players drafted than Minnesota?" to go along with the "Did I ever tell you about the year NDSU beat Minnesota in football?" They'll be hanging onto those types of stories for generations, as they will be few and far between.

Of course this all assumes that Lakes finds someone to reproduce with.

it wasn't MORE it was 8-2 for nfl signings/invites.

furthermore, beating Oral Roberts in baseball with their #1 is HUGE !!

I wish NDSU would throw our #1 or #2 vs Minnesota on May 5th.

it wasn't MORE it was 8-2 for nfl signings/invites.

furthermore, beating Oral Roberts in baseball with their #1 is HUGE !!

I wish NDSU would throw our #1 or #2 vs Minnesota on May 5th.

Lakes is right about ORU, they have a great baseball program and beating their #1 pitcher on Saturday was big for NDSU baseball. ORU would be a top team in a lot of conferences.

That said, get a clue lakes. NDSU plays WIU that Friday and they are the worst team in the league. The top four schools qualify for the conference tournament, NDSU needs those wins much more than they would ever need a win over Minnesota. I know you would like to brag about NDSU beating Minnesota but for the baseball team reaching the league tournament would be a much bigger deal, especially since they were picked to finish dead last in the Summit.

I agree that beating oral roberts is a big deal for NDSU, but its not that big of a deal anywhere else. ORU is a nice program but hardly the national power some are trying to make them out to be. They have dominated a couple bad conferences the past 15 years so they go to the tournament every year, but nothing special.

Now go back to bragging about all those undrafted FA who have very little chance to make a team:clap:

www.ORUSPORTS.com < im sure a few of those guys will love that comment.

All-Time Record (Pct.): 1,545-775-4 (.666)
College World Series Appearances : 1
NCAA Postseason Appearances : 20 (2008)

Wow, I think I now feel bad for Oral Roberts since you're probably over on their board now. On the bright side for me I can say that by using your logic St. Thomas is better than NDSU in baseball since we beat the Gophers and the Bison didn't. Maybe we have a rivalry with the Gophers now, lol.

Can I exchange the swine flu for never hearing from lakesbison again?

FROM orusports.com ............. board.

Thats pretty hilarious trash talk coming from a team that plays baseball in the Big Ten.

ORU has played in, i believe, 10 regional finals, a super regional and a CWS since the last time the Gophers were relevant in college baseball...and we may have eliminated them a couple of times along the way.

FROM orusports.com ............. board.

Thats pretty hilarious trash talk coming from a team that plays baseball in the Big Ten.

ORU has played in, i believe, 10 regional finals, a super regional and a CWS since the last time the Gophers were relevant in college baseball...and we may have eliminated them a couple of times along the way.

Well, we're reaching new lows everyday on this board thanks to our buddy from Bisonland. Now Lakes is taking information from our board over to the Oral Roberts board, getting responses from those folks and then bringing them back. :clap: (but don't forget, he still supports the Gophers after NDSU!!! ;))

Apparently, Lakes is now trying to join in on the trash talking by Oral Roberts fans as well. LOL.

I must admit, the entertainment value is quite impressive. Irrevelant and pathetic, but impressive.

First off I didn't mean to disrespect ORU as they have a very good baseball program, the problem is lakes and company make them out to be one of the nations elite programs which isn't true. I have no desire to go to there board or argue with them here since I nor any other Gopher fans really care that much, but for lakes and interested ORU fans I will just make a few points.

ORU

All-Time Record (Pct.): 1,545-775-4 (.666)
College World Series Appearances : 1
NCAA Postseason Appearances : 20

Minnesota
All Time Record: 2,335-1,364
College World Series Appearances: 5
College World Series Championships: 3
NCAA Postseason Appearances: 28

-I looked up ORU's history and they had 17 former players in the pros, most I had never heard of, but most notably was former Twin Tom Neito, Keith Lockhart who had 591 hits in 10 seasons, and Mike Moore who pitched 13 years and had a 161-176 record mostly for the Mariners.

-For Minnesota we have Paul Giel, Jerry Kindall, Dave Winfield(3,110 hits, 465 HR), Paul Molitor(3,319 hits, 234 HR), Greg Olsen, Dan Wilson(14 years, 1.097 hits), Brent Gates, Denny Neagle(124 wins), Terry Steinbach(1,453 hits and 162 HR in 15 years) to name a few plus three currently playing today including the Twins best pitcher, Glen Perkins.

-Minnesota has Three members of the College Baseball Hall of Fame(Winfield, Siebert, Kindall), which is pretty good when you consider there are only 47 total members and Molitor is likely to make it 4 in the next few years.

-Minnesota has two members of the 3,000 hit club, a record likely to never be matched.

From lakes post: ORU has played in, i believe, 10 regional finals, a super regional and a CWS since the last time the Gophers were relevant in college baseball...and we may have eliminated them a couple of times along the way.

ORU played in there only College World Series in 1978, ONE year after the Gophers last appearance and only 5 years before the Gophers finished third in 73.

ORU NCAA Tournament
1973, 1978(CWS), 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006(Super Regional), 2007, 2008- 20 Total

Minnesota NCAA Tournament
1956(CWS), 1958, 1959, 1960(CWS), 1964(CWS), 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973(CWS), 1974, 1976, 1977(CWS), 1981, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2007

the teams did play in NCAA's in 82(MN win), 85(ORU win), 87(ORU win).

ORU has a current streak of 11 straight appearances since 1998 although when you look at the conferences they are in, it would be a huge upset if they don't win the league every year. In that same time MN has gone 7 times. I guess everyone can make there own conclusions from the numbers.

Johnny convinced me!!!

now i really jacked to beat those guys..

oh well...carry on MIAC fans,..carry on..

Great post Johnny, and I couldn't agree with you more regarding Oral Roberts. While the Big Ten is not a great baseball conference, the conference Oral Roberts plays in is not very good. With that said, any time a team can make the post season 11 consecutive years they deserve some recognition, no matter how big of a favorite a team is every team has down years (case in point, 2008 Gophers). Anyways, I always appreciate your insight and research into Gopher baseball. It nice to see someone who is consistantly following Gopher baseball as closely as you. They need all the fans they can get.

One of Lakes favorite activities is to spew his garbage on this board, then then cut and paste our responses on other boards. "sniff... look what mean things they are saying!!!" :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Gophers down NDSU 6-5 behind homers from Michael Kvasnicka, Nick O'Shea and Derek McCallum. It was pitching by committee again for the Gophers with a whole bunch of guys getting time. I think they used seven pitchers on the game, starting with Isaakson and continuing on with Klabunde, Fern, Sexton, Tim Ryan, Rasmussen and Matyas pitching today.

Minnesota goes to 31-13 overall and moves on to a key series with Michigan in Ann Arbor this weekend.

Gophers down NDSU 6-5 behind homers from Michael Kvasnicka, Nick O'Shea and Derek McCallum. It was pitching by committee again for the Gophers with a whole bunch of guys getting time. I think they used seven pitchers on the game, starting with Isaakson and continuing on with Klabunde, Fern, Sexton, Tim Ryan, Rasmussen and Matyas pitching today.

Minnesota goes to 31-13 overall and moves on to a key series with Michigan in Ann Arbor this weekend.

these games against teams like NDSU are so funny to me. you know that NDSU is going out there against the gophers like it is frickin' game seven of the 1991 world series and that the gophers are probably just like: "alright can we get this obligatory NDSU game out of the way already you little no dak ankle bitters you!"

Why the obsession with Minnesota

Please please Red River wash these people away alreadly!!!!!!!!!!! You are becoming Badger fans and nothing is as bad as that.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it was your typical mid week game for both teams. Alot of pitchers thrown on both sides and some sloppy play and some nice homtown calls that went the gophers way. Rasmussen and Maytas come in to close it in the ninth. Wind was blowing pretty good again today although it wouldn't of mattered on the gophers three bombs, Kvasnicka's is still rolling around the track. Bad error from Petterson on a grounder that would of been the thrid out with the Gophers up 5-3 but he let's it go right under his glove and two runs score to tie the game. Then the gophers got lucky when they tried a double steal and the Bison we're called out at home and it was pretty clear the tag was missed. McCallum started the bottom of the seventh with an opposite field bomb, his 14th of the season, which was the winning run. Doesn't matter if it was pretty or not, all we needed was the win and now it's Michigan and Penn State, then BT Tourny and then NCAA's.

I said in a post a while back that I didn't think that Derek was going to get drafted high enough this June to warrant leaving. I just want to know take that statement back. He has been on a tear since that comment, and while the MLB draft generally is all about potential and upside, Derek's success will move him up draft boards. Derek has always been a guy that scouts liked, but he hadn't had the track record of sucess to warrant a high draft pick, now that he is finally playing up to his potential, I believe he is shooting up some draft boards. Look for him to get drafted around the 5th round, which is going to be good money and will be to hard (and stupid) to pass up. I would love to have him back for another season, but unless something drastic happens, he is a goner. Good win for the Gophers tonight, those mid week games are tough to concentrate on, and it looks as if they played down to their competition, but at this point a win is a win. Big Series this weekend, GO GOPHERS!!

Top Bottom