NCAA Transfer Rule Change Moves Forward

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

From CBS Sports:
Things are moving quickly in favor of college athletes on the topic of transferring. The NCAA's Transfer Waiver Working Group on Tuesday announced a concept is under consideration that would allow undergraduate student athletes in all sports to transfer once without sitting out of competition for one year.

The concept comes on the heels of the an initial proposal from the Big Ten last year, which was publicly supported by the ACC on Monday. The three remaining Power Five conferences (Big 12, SEC, Pac-12) were expected to discuss the proposal at their respective spring meetings, according to CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd.

Adoption of such a rule would erase the disparity between transferring rules between athletes in men's and women's basketball, football, baseball and hockey from the rest of the NCAA-regulated sports.

Student-athletes across all sports would be able to transfer once as undergraduates without sitting out a year in residence so long as they: (a) receive a transfer release from their previous school, (b) leave their previous school academically eligible, (c) maintain their academic progress at the new school and (d) depart under no disciplinary suspension.
However, Steinbrecher told Dodd the transfer proposal is not a done deal. "It's got a ways to go," he said.

The working group will, at the minimum, submit a report to the council in April. Whether it will be a final report remains to be seen.

I realize this article cites Pitino's reaction, but is relevant to this thread.

Gophers men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino said Tuesday on his radio show that he isn’t sure the change will help his game, citing “chaos on rosters.” He imagined a scenario in which a team loses and gains three or four transfers in a season.

“Teams are just not going to be as good, because it takes time to develop these guys,” Pitino said. “It’s concerning, but I’m not critical of it. It’s probably the right move to continue to provide things for the student-athletes. But it’s going to be very, very difficult for all of us.”

If the transfer working group’s latest concept is adopted, any athlete would be granted immediate eligibility after a transfer if four criteria are met. The athlete must:

• Receive a transfer release from the previous school.

• Leave the previous school academically eligible.

• Maintain academic progress at the new school.

• Leave under no disciplinary suspension.

I realize this article cites Pitino's reaction, but is relevant to this thread.

Gophers men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino said Tuesday on his radio show that he isn’t sure the change will help his game, citing “chaos on rosters.” He imagined a scenario in which a team loses and gains three or four transfers in a season.

“Teams are just not going to be as good, because it takes time to develop these guys,” Pitino said. “It’s concerning, but I’m not critical of it. It’s probably the right move to continue to provide things for the student-athletes. But it’s going to be very, very difficult for all of us.”

If the transfer working group’s latest concept is adopted, any athlete would be granted immediate eligibility after a transfer if four criteria are met. The athlete must:

• Receive a transfer release from the previous school.

• Leave the previous school academically eligible.

• Maintain academic progress at the new school.

• Leave under no disciplinary suspension.
It’s that last bullet that might need more consideration or fine tuning by the committee, namely “Leave under no disciplinary suspension.”

The case of Destiny Pitts is illustrative of what the dicey issues might be there. Destiny certainly (at least as far as I know) qualifies for immediate eligibility under the first 3 bullets. I can’t imagine why the U wouldn’t give her a transfer release. (Come to think of it, the first bullet might have some issues too, if schools start using it as a tool to control the sort of mass exoduses that Pitino suggests may happen.)

The two middle bullets should not be a problem for Destiny since she’s taking classes now in good standing at the U (from what we hear), and she would certainly be motivated to continue the good academic effort come Fall Semester at her chosen new school.

But the question is, did she or did she not “leave under disciplinary suspension”?

It all hangs on what’s the formal definition of “disciplinary suspension” plus the timing of when she “leaves.”

Destiny never signed the formal “guilty until proven innocent with no chance for a reasonable hearing or administrative review” suspension document that the U’s Athletic Department insisted that she sign before any meaningful discussion would be allowed on the issue (whatever that issue was, supposedly bad body language). Indeed, the very problem in her case was the onerous nature of said document. She refused to sign that document because it summarily discarded all her civil rights and put her in an untenable position that would almost certainly put her in a worse position in the future.

Destiny Pitts did not enter the transfer portal (and by so-doing declare her intention to leave the University of Minnesota and find another, better university at which to study and play basketball) because she wanted to find a place where she could use whatever body language she liked. No, rather, she decided to leave the University of Minnesota because its Athletic Department has an extremely vicious and unreasonable disciplinary process that is more akin to a disciplinary process in a Nazi or Russian Siberian prison camp than that of an institution of higher learning.

Now I’m not a lawyer, but if I were Destiny’s lawyer arguing before the NCAA under the 4 bullets of proposed new eligibility-after-transfer rules as noted above by Pitino and others, then I would argue that Destiny Pitts was never formally suspended, because she refused to sign the formal suspension document that she was given to sign (under threat of unacceptable other consequences). She never signed that document, so she was not “under disciplinary suspension.”

Then the opposing lawyer could argue that she was under “informal suspension” for the horrible crime of bad body language and thus was actually “under disciplinary suspension.” And she wasn’t being allowed to play, indefinitely.

Then I (with my lawyer hat on) would argue that doesn’t constitute a well-formed suspension because indeed, University Athletic Deoartment officials (and coaching staff) were refusing to discuss the matter with Destiny. She was being denied her right to confront her accuser, and in fact she was being denied any sort if due process whatsoever, so how can that constitute a valid suspension for NCAA purposes.

And on-and-on we go. I’m guessing that 4th bullet might be worded too fuzzily to be interpreted properly. Or if written very explicitly to avoid anbiguity, then it would not achieve the result we should want.

Furthermore, if universities can willy nilly suspend players by fiat without any legitimate formal process, then universities might simply suspend a player to eliminate potential of their no-delay transferring (in an effort to avoid mass transfers like Pitino anticipates).

So although I suppose that 4th bullet is well intended, I think it’s a bad idea that will have bad consequences. They should just strike that 4th bullet from the proposed rule modifications.

Without that bullet (i.e., whether or not you’re under any suspension, be it formal or informal, is irrelevant to the no-delay decision) Destiny Pitts would be eligible to play next Fall - which is as it should be.

She didn’t do anything wrong that deserved any more punishment than simply telling her “you’re not going to start the next game, you’re coming off the bench, and will continue to do so until we work out some rough edges.” The University of Minnesota had no valid case for informally suspending her. And when they did informally suspend her, the Athletic Department invoked a badly designed and unjust disciplinary process that was/probably-still-is virtually fascist in nature with the ultimate outcome of Destiny Pitts refusing to settle for such unjustice, and parting ways from the U.

I assert that cases of unjust behavior by athetic departments, such as the case of Destiny Pitts, are just the sort of scenarios in which the NCAA should expedite immediate eligibility. Instead, that 4th bullet simply encourages a court battle in any transfer case in which some disciplinary action (formal or informal) is involved.

The NCAA rules should not be written in a manner that encourages double indemnity/punishment of players in a scenario like Destiny’s: first punishment being effectively kicked off the team for accused (but never proven) bad body language; second punishment (under proposed new rules) the potential of being denied immediate transfer-and-play eligibility just because the U informally suspended her for the same. That would be, in essence, double jeopardy, in the sense of one punishment for the alleged (but unproven) crime, and a second additional punishment for being accused of said crime.

It’s one thing for a given university (Minnesota) to have an egregious Athletic Department disciplinary process (that would be something for its new President to investigate and fix). It’s a completely different thing for the NCAA to adopt a new policy that promotes other universities to adopt similarly bad disciplinary regimes.

In any event, I think the study committee needs to go back to the drawing board, and consider striking that 4th bullet, which would, at a minimum be difficult to administer in practice. Or perhaps worse: that clause would probably get struck down in court if it goes that far.

The secondary issue has to do with timing. They talk about “leave under” (no disciplinary suspension). When exactly is “leave”? The time of entering the transfer portal? The time they matriculate to the new school?

Dedtiny Pitts is still here, taking U classes. Is she still under (informal) suspension when she “leaves” at end of either Winter or Summer Semester? I haven’t read the legalese on that part, but they’re going to need a proper definition of when “leave” happens, if they do keep that 4th bullet.

Last edited:

Before the transfer portal, the transfer release system could be and was abused by schools. The transfer portal allowed athletes to transfer without a release from their school and made the transfer easy. But, in five sports, the athlete had to sit out a year; unless he/she received a waiver from the NCAA.

This proposal ends the post transfer waiver process, presumably; but puts some control back to the school because the school could deny a release for immediate eligibility. If the school denied the athlete an immediate release, her option would be to transfer and sit out a year.

I assume the transfer release system would fail under it's own weight. Anyway, the NCAA is smartly throwing that system back to the schools and let them handle the legality. Same with "disciplinary suspension".

From the NCAA:

“More than a third of all college students transfer at least once, and the Division I rule prohibiting immediate competition for students who play five sports hasn’t discouraged them from transferring,” Steinbrecher said. “This dynamic has strained the waiver process, which was designed to handle extenuating and extraordinary circumstances.”

• Receive a transfer release from their previous school.
  • Leave their previous school academically eligible.
  • Maintain their academic progress at the new school.
  • Leave under no disciplinary suspension.
The waiver criteria are the same as the legislated exception already allowed for student-athletes who compete in any sport other than baseball, basketball, football or men’s ice hockey.

Before the transfer portal, the transfer release system could be and was abused by schools. The transfer portal allowed athletes to transfer without a release from their school and made the transfer easy. But, in five sports, the athlete had to sit out a year; unless he/she received a waiver from the NCAA.

This proposal ends the post transfer waiver process, presumably; but puts some control back to the school because the school could deny a release for immediate eligibility. If the school denied the athlete an immediate release, her option would be to transfer and sit out a year.

I assume the transfer release system would fail under it's own weight. Anyway, the NCAA is smartly throwing that system back to the schools and let them handle the legality. Same with "disciplinary suspension".

From the NCAA:
OK, it makes sense that one of the primary motivations for change would be the current administrative nightmare of having to treat each transfer (in the five named sports) as an exception, requiring a hearing in each case. It’s probably untenable for the NCAA to go on the way it is currently.

Plus, it has been pointed out that the results of such hearings (for waiving the wait rule) are very inconsistent. Some luck out and get the waiver for seemingly no legitimate reason, while others that seem to have a good justification, get denied. It seems to be the luck of the draw as to who hears your appeal case, right now.

What a mess. Good motivation for change.

And if the initially proposed change is to make it more similar to how the non-five sports are handled, I understand how that might be deemed sensible too.

So maybe what I’m arguing for is the elimination of that 4th bullet (and some potential issues on the 1st bullet too, that I haven’t fully thought out yet) for all sports, whether or not they’re among the five designated sports of baseball, football, basketball or men’s hockey. But I prefer to think about the (4th bullet) issue in the context of the five sports ...

... where it constitutes a (proposed) change in policy. With that change (if adopted) the “new norm” is to pretty much let any student transfer at any time with no sit-out penalty. As such, under this new OK-to-transfer-with-no-penalty regime, any exceptions that are applied constitute an explicit punishment (by the NCAA) in a very real sense of the term.

Now the problem with this 4th bullet is that once the NCAA gets into the business of applying a punishment (with no more appeals process) based on the existence or non-existence of a current disciplinary procedure for the student athlete at their current school, then the NCAA is morally obligated to also set the bar as to what constitutes a legitimate disciplinary action at each of the NCAA schools. And, also provide a uniform NCAA appeals process for any student athlete that feels that their disciplinary suspension was not conducted according to approved NCAA standards.

If you’re going to use a formal term (“disciplinary suspension”) in defining an NCAA punishment, then you’re morally obligated to participate in both the definition of said term, as well as in adjudication as to whether the term is used properly in any event of significance.

Now if they (justly) do institute NCAA-wide standards for disciplinary procedures, that’s just more work for the NCAA. But you can’t just leave it to the schools to decide what is or is not a disciplinary suspension (for use in enforcing this NCAA policy) - that’s just not fair as well as chaos-inducing.

Now maybe it would end up being a good thing if the NCAA set the bar for allowable disciplinary procedures, and allowed appeals by student athletes to the NCAA if they are subjected to below-the-bar disciplinary behavior by their athletic department. That might have helped Destiny Pitts at the time.

But I mention Destiny’s situation more as an example of what could go wrong if you let the colleges have dictatorial powers to accuse and convict and punish a student athlete without any hearing or opportunity for appeal, or even opportunity to discuss the matter with their coach. If it can happen here (in the state of “Minnesota Nice”), then it can happen anywhere.

If you let the mere accusation (by a school’s athletic department) of a student athlete supposedly doing something wrong, be the sole arbiter of whether or not the NCAA will “punish” a student for transferring (that is, by automatically denying a no-delay transfer that is now the norm), then the possibility of doing so is an invitation for abuse on the part of the colleges.

Others may have different beliefs on the nature of what happened to Destiny Pitts, but substitute “hypothetical Jane Doe” for every place I used Destiny Pitts - the fact is, any school could abuse their (Jane Doe) student athlete in the manner that I believe Destiny Pitts was wronged by the Minnesota Athletic Department. And the NCAA can’t (in a moral sense, so maybe “shouldn’t” would be a better word) just automatically accept the word of a college in triggering what amounts to an automatic secondary punishment on the student, namely make them wait out a year when the norm is now “don’t wait.”

Under such a proposed rule for the five sports, threat of suspension becomes a potential tool (for less-than-moral athletic programs), the threat-of-use-of-which could be used to keep the student athletes in line.

The first bullet is also suspect. In the first place, why would any school refuse to approve a transfer request? It just makes no sense (unless you’re playing for Army/Navy/Air Force and you enlisted for four years). But if not approving a transfer request automatically invokes an NCAA punishment for transferring, then threat of not approving a transfer request might look like a “tool” to minimize outbound transfers, just like threat of suspension might be perceived to be such a tool in some immoral quarters. That’s not a good idea to tempt schools toward bad behavior on their part.

You say “the NCAA is smartly throwing that system back to the schools and let them handle the legality (and same with disciplinary situations).”

That’s a really dumb idea. The only sense of the word “smart” that’s true here is in the sense of it reducing NCAA overhead - it probably would have that effect. But at the expense of the civil rights of the student athletes.

Universities (and their athletic programs) are not jails or prison camps. Why should universities be given what amounts to absolute, non-reviewable, dictatorial power to keep their student athletes on campus under threat of possible university behavior that would trigger automatic (and non-reviewable) punishment by the NCAA if they should decide to leave.

That amounts to the NCAA shirking its moral duty and saying “not my problem, man.”

I’d rather see them continue to review on a per-case basis, and hire more review teams, even if such reviews are a bit inconsistent. To reduce inconsistency, they could set up review-appeals teams.

It boils down to “It’s un-American to summarily take away student athletes’ civil rights.” This is America, not Communist China, and I don’t want to give universities dictatorial powers.

Last edited:

And from a previous thread, the number of cases to be reviewed in WBB alone is very large. Some kind of streamlined approach is needed.

EaganGopher22 said:

500 is an awfully high number. Probably some higher percentage is women who graduate early or had a redshirt season, but still, it seems like a lot especially if these are all D-1.

Iggy replied:

Women’s Basketball Transfers: Fall 2018–Summer 2019 | WBB Blog
NCAA D-I women’s basketball player transfers or potential transfers (players in the transfer portal), covering the period from the fall of 2018 through the summer of 2019. The list is arranged by former school. The player’s class (FR, SO, JR,... Read More ›

wbbblog.com
wbbblog.com

Raoul kept a list of the 2018-19 transfers:

Total: 589
Power Five: 119
Non Power Five 470

Grad Transfers: 82

Like Reply

Instant eligibility vote delayed until January-so we wait some more. Maybe it indicates that NCAA sports are on the verge of skipping a year-or maybe not.

The proposal that would allow transfers immediate eligibility was supposed to be voted upon by the NCAA Division I Council next month. However, because of the COVID-19 pandemic, that vote is being delayed.

According to a release, the council has recommended putting the proposal up for a vote in January. This is one of several issues the NCAA hopes to address in order to provide more freedom for its student-athletes.

The NCAA released the following Friday:

“The Council discussed recommendations from the Transfer Waiver Working Group, which has recommended that waiver guidelines be changed to allow first-time four-year transfers in all sports the ability to compete immediately. While the group didn’t take a vote on the recommendations, it provided valuable feedback with regard to timing and uncertainty related to the COVID-19 pandemic. It also recommended the Division I Board of Directors lift the moratorium it placed on transfer legislation last fall in order for the Council to vote on the concept in January 2021.”

Looks like the 247 article left out a very key part of the NCAA's release. It was indeed a very confusing release.

But the punchline is: the vote on updating the transfer waiver guidelines is still scheduled for next month.

That's what I get for not tracking down the NCAA release: Here's the applicable part of yesterday's release which means they are still operating under their February recommendation.

Transfers
The Council discussed recommendations from the Transfer Waiver Working Group, which has recommended that waiver guidelines be changed to allow first-time four-year transfers in all sports the ability to compete immediately. While the group didn’t take a vote on the recommendations, it provided valuable feedback with regard to timing and uncertainty related to the COVID-19 pandemic and could vote on the guidelines changes next month. It also recommended the Division I Board of Directors lift the moratorium it placed on transfer legislation last fall in order for the Council to vote on the legislative concept in January 2021.

The Council had robust discussions about proposed changes to name, image and likeness rules and the timeline for a return to sports. The group and other governance bodies within Division I will continue to discuss all these issues over the coming weeks.

The February recommendation was:

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...-working-group-seek-feedback-waiver-expansion

I think the problem came from there being two different things:
- a recommendation for updating the transfer waiver guidelines (vote set for May 2020)
- a recommendation that they look at updating the legislation regarding transfers, itself (possibly could be voted on Jan 2021)

Today's release from the NCAA Board of Directors and Presidential Forum regarding the Transfer Waiver Working Group: (The Division I Council could vote on the changes as early as its May meeting).

Transfers
The groups also received an update from the Transfer Waiver Working Group. That group, appointed by the board last fall, was charged with studying potential changes to the waiver process. Waiver guidelines can be changed at any time, and that group has recommended that waiver guidelines allow the opportunity for a one-time transfer waiver for student-athletes in the five sports not legislatively allowed to transfer and compete immediately: men’s basketball, women’s basketball, baseball, men’s ice hockey and football. The waiver criteria would mirror the legislative opportunity for student-athletes in other sports. The Division I Council could vote on the guideline changes as early as its May meeting.

The waiver working group also recommended the board lift the moratorium on transfer legislation to allow the membership to consider proposals that could provide permanent access to the one-time transfer opportunity for all Division I student-athletes.

The board agreed to lift the moratorium on transfer legislation for the 2020-21 legislative cycle but recommended to the Council that changes to the waiver process as suggested by the working group are not appropriate at this time. Board members recommended the waiver process be sensitive to student-athlete well-being, especially those impacted by COVID-19 in the interim period.

Top Bottom