NCAA Tournament team?

jimmyvalvanoguy

Beleive
Reaction score
Watching this team play, I don't see an NCAA Tournament type team.

Inconsistent guard play, defensive laps, poor FT shooting, and a lack of rebounding are not a formula for success. Gophers need at least 3 road wins to make the NCAA and at this point, I don't see it. I hope I am wrong but unless things dramatically change, we might be looking at another NIT
post season.

Watching this team play, I don't see an NCAA Tournament type team.

Inconsistent guard play, defensive laps, poor FT shooting, and a lack of rebounding are not a formula for success. Gophers need at least 3 road wins to make the NCAA and at this point, I don't see it. I hope I am wrong but unless things dramatically change, we might be looking at another NIT
post season.

Tend to agree. Needed to beat Purdue, IMO. Maryland is just a flat out better team than MN, but they do not have a lot of margin for error.

On the other hand, we are certainly a less talented team that Michigan, but they are having an even worse year so far.

We could be zero and Three to start the B1G. That would be disaster but very possible. It is a long season, however, unless we find a way to win 10 games, we don't deserve the NCAA anyway.

This could be Pitino's first underachieving team. That ought to be a sobering prospect for him. He and his players need to look at themselves in the mirror. Many of them have played better in the past and need to pull their head out of their ass.

They aren't as bad as you want to believe

Looked today like they hustled for steals today and not so much hustle for rebounds. Or the team is just not a physical rebounding team? Maryland looked very physical rebounding.

Looked today like they hustled for steals today and not so much hustle for rebounds. Or the team is just not a physical rebounding team? Maryland looked very physical rebounding.

Maryland looked good rebounding against MSU too. I'd say that Maryland is easily the 2nd best team in the big ten this year behind Wisconsin.

right now we have one player playing well - MO! Andre cant shoot - I thought our guards were one of the best in the conference but they have been mediocre or worse. Joey had a nice 3 before half but missed 3 straight to help us lose that momentum in the 2nd half... We give up too many 3's, miss too many fts and foul too much. And I just hate it when we talk about how hard it is to win on the road. There have been lots of road victories already. Losing at Purdue will haunt us this year.

It's early, time for the fans to be a little patient and at least let the next few weeks play out. Just about every game they will play will be winnable, the conference is solid top to bottom but certainly not spectacular.

Team isn't as talented as you want to believe.

Maybe, but as of today it does not appear they have improved at all from last year.

They were talented enough to win the NIT last year and return everyone except Austin Hollins. You would think adding Mason and Morris would be enough to make up for that loss.

With everyone else being a year older, and having another year in Pitino's system, this year's team should be expected to make the NCAA tournament.

No. This team has too many holes on defense among other areas. A good starting PF would make this a tourney team. Add a stronger Morris who takes better shots and this team is a top four Big Ten team. Add another dynamic player and we're a Big Ten title contender.

I would have predicted 1-1 after these games before the season; need to make up one other game. The sky isn't falling

Maybe, but as of today it does not appear they have improved at all from last year.

They were talented enough to win the NIT last year and return everyone except Austin Hollins. You would think adding Mason and Morris would be enough to make up for that loss.

With everyone else being a year older, and having another year in Pitino's system, this year's team should be expected to make the NCAA tournament.

I think you make the point about the actual talent on the team.

Based on how the conference appears this season yes the could make the NCAA tournament but I don't think that should be expected.

Mason and Morris good players added to the talent that returned but overall looks like a team that is talented enough to win the NIT again.

I think you make the point about the actual talent on the team.

Based on how the conference appears this season yes the could make the NCAA tournament but I don't think that should be expected.

Mason and Morris good players added to the talent that returned but overall looks like a team that is talented enough to win the NIT again.

I hear ya, and I don't necessarily disagree, but don't you think players should get better from one year to the next?

I hear ya, and I don't necessarily disagree, but don't you think players should get better from one year to the next?

Yes I think players should get better but in this case I think the 4 seniors and Morris are what they are. That isn't taking a shot at this coaching staff.

What we need to see is the development in players like Mason, Konate, and the other freshmen recruits this staff brings in.

guard play

I have no doubt Mason and Morris are at least making up for what Austin brought. The biggest issue is that both Dre's have mostly stunk against any quick back courts. Against Maryland Andre 1-9, 2 pts, he couldnt even get to the free throw line? DeAndre 4pts, 1 ass, 5 to. You cannot win with that kind of guard play. It reminded me of St. Johns were they had similar performances. The good anyone who knows basketball saw how tough the beginning of our schedule is. Now the bad, we play at home but its against a very athletic backcourt in Ohio St: Scott, and Freshmen stud Russell. Another thing i have noticed against good competition is its either Mo scoring inside or us making 3's, when those are falling. We seem to have little mid range scoring.. maybe Morris on occassion but Dre H. used to be great there as well.

Mo has continued an improvement curve, but Eliason has regressed. Hollins is markedly worse than last year, even when compared to his post-injury performance. DeAndre is down a little from last year, but he's still good enough if he had more help out there.

The premise under which the Gophs make the NCAA's this year hinged on players not regressing, the guards having all-conference caliber seasons and Joey improving even just a little on the boards. It hasn't happened, and I'm not seeing signs that it's going to.

Mo has continued an improvement curve, but Eliason has regressed. Hollins is markedly worse than last year, even when compared to his post-injury performance. DeAndre is down a little from last year, but he's still good enough if he had more help out there.

The premise under which the Gophs make the NCAA's this year hinged on players not regressing, the guards having all-conference caliber seasons and Joey improving even just a little on the boards. It hasn't happened, and I'm not seeing signs that it's going to.

Stats say otherwise. I know it is inflated right now by the non-conference but lets see how this next one plays out the rest of the way before we start making statements like that.

I think EE is the same EE as he has always been. He just gets less minutes because Mo has gotten a lot better and he hasn't. Hollins in the non-coference is the same Hollins we saw last year. We have only played two Big Ten games, give him a chance. He'll figure this thing out. Pitino says Andre is a lot better on defense and I think that is evident.

Another thing i have noticed against good competition is its either Mo scoring inside or us making 3's, when those are falling. We seem to have little mid range scoring.. maybe Morris on occassion but Dre H. used to be great there as well.

I think what you have described in the result of the defenses those teams are playing against us (and possibly our own lack of effective screening) that is designed to close off the driving lanes. When DeAndre can't drive and dish or pull up (or layup) and shoot we are a poorer team.

I think EE is the same EE as he has always been. He just gets less minutes because Mo has gotten a lot better and he hasn't.

Agreed. It must be said that when he does shoot, he has been extremely efficient this year unless he has to go to the foul line. He isn't going as aggressively for the blocks though and that's probably why he doesn't seem to be picking up as many fouls.

Not having McNeil is hurting big time, Morris is getting exposed in B1G play defensively, forces Pitino to stay in a zone when it just isn't going to work.

Top Bottom