NCAA says Facebook groups violate recruiting rules

GoAUpher

Section 246
Reaction score
Per CNNSI, starting a Facebook group like "Rodney Williams, PLEASE come to Minnesota" is a recruiting violation. The NCAA feels that this sort of fan support is "an attempt to influence the college choice of a recruit" and is therefore a violation.

Quick summary. NCAA = Epic Fail. Who would have thunk? :rolleyes:

How are Facebook groups any different then bringing signs to games or starting chants; or, for that matter, walking up to a recruit and telling them they should go to a certain school? Are these not also "attempts to influence the college choice of a recruit"?

How do u inforce that? So i could make up a facebook entry saying that JOE DUMBASS needs to come to WI and they would violate NCAA rules? I guess that works for me, but i am sure other teams would do the same to us.... The NCAA just does not get some things...i mean lots of things... GO GOPHERS!!!

We better watch what we say on the new Gopherhole Facebook group, we wouldn't want to get GopherLady in trouble with the NCAA. :rolleyes:

Maybe the NCAA should spend less time looking at Facebook and more time into looking at coach like Gillispie and Calipari who are always pushing the rules to the edge and walking in grey area's.

I'm sorry I just pisses me off when the NCAA, which is not proactive organization, wastes time on little things when coaches like Billy Gillispie admit to paying recuits parents or when UConn has a massive voliation and nobody new about it.

Honestly ... I don't see this as something the NCAA or the individual schools can really police. They have no jurisdiction over an individual's Facebook page -- regardless of which school they're a fan of.

If I recall correctly, there was something like this that came up on the football side not long ago. It was somewhat swept under the rug.

Maybe some of us should start making "________ come to Wisconsin!!!!" facebook pages so WI gets in trouble.

This rule is idiotic and very difficult to enforce.

The NCAA or the school have no real power to stop people from doing it but they can prevent a school from recruiting that player who is the subject of the violations. All your really doing is hurting your team in the end.

If I was the student, I would be suing the NCAA. If they make him take down the page they're taking away the right of freedom of speech. Like Weezy said, it really is no different then going to a game and holding up a "Devoe come to Minnesota Sign". The NCAA is becoming an even bigger joke then it already was.

Count me amongst the group that thinks the NCAA probably has more important things to do than worry about facebook statuses. This is classic NCAA misdirection. As soon as there is a big controversy, like the ones brewing regarding coach salaries and the allegations up at UConn, they take a minor step in an effort to reinforce they want fair play for all. (Except if you're a money maker. In that case, no rules apply to you ;))

Myles Brand can complain all he wants about how certain things, such as coaches salaries and the like. But the bottom line is that the NCAA does a lot of talking about fixing things and then never follows through. Even if they do make a major rule, they leave loopholes large enough for a cruise ship to navigate through. That's how coaches like Scott Drew, John Calipari, Tim Floyd and Billy Gillespie have success.

The NCAA has much more major problems to deal with than high school kids and their facebook cites. And unfortunately, most of those have been fostered and in some cases, created by the NCAA itself.

Maybe the NCAA should spend less time looking at Facebook and more time into looking at coach like Gillispie and Calipari who are always pushing the rules to the edge and walking in grey area's.

I'm sorry I just pisses me off when the NCAA, which is not proactive organization, wastes time on little things when coaches like Billy Gillispie admit to paying recuits parents or when UConn has a massive voliation and nobody new about it.
Cleveland State sure hopes the NCAA doesn't find any Kentucky violations.

OK, for those who sort of snickered at that quip (yet again), why is that even funny? Is it not a direct slam at the integrity of the NCAA? Damn, integrity and NCAA in the same sentence ... I keep cracking myself up.

Top Bottom