NCAA President to propose New Division

@Polski nailed it! Out of the park!

Can you imagine if NFL teams setup NIL collectives to …
MplsGopher,

Please stop not quoting the post you are replying too. I don’t know what Polski said yesterday morning, so your reply is like starting a new conversation without needed back ground.

You can always edit the referred post to keep it succinct. Otherwise, it’s a little confusing not to have any reference, at least for me.

Thank you for your consideration.

in the end, this will all be decided by the Courts. If the 'House' antitrust case is decided in favor of the players, and the Supreme Court upholds the decision, then the amateur system is gone and a whole new revenue-sharing system will have to be created.

and if that means Head Coaches have to get by on $1-million a year instead of $6-million, they'll just have to learn to live with it.

Question.

What happens to schools that are national powers in other sports, but play FCS football? Thinking of North Dakota hockey, or Villanova basketball? Obviously they will want to continue playing hockey and hoops at their current top level, but won't be able to pay to play FB$ football.

What about schools like Mankato or Bemidji that play top level hockey at the D1 level because there is no D2 hockey?
I would imagine that a new division is really only going to apply to football, and possibly MBB and WBB. The Big East will certainly want to be part of the new, top division. But does it's media contract make it feasible to join the pay-the-players division? But even if it does, why would Nova have to play FBS football? It doesn't have to now to play DI basketball.

Same with Hockey. None of the mentioned schools play FBS football now. DI Hockey can remain DI hockey independent of division in other sports. The reality is very few P4 schools will have hockey, certainly not enough to have a viable, independent subdivision. And I wonder how many hockey programs are actually revenue sports? I recall reading not long ago that at UND, one of the top hockey programs in the country, the program itself actually did not make money. A school like UND isn't going to be able to pay players in the brave, new, college sports world.

There's a lot of detail missing from the NCAA proposal, if it is even a proposal yet. It's hard to imagine how it works without some of the same type of carve outs that now exist.

I would imagine that a new division is really only going to apply to football, and possibly MBB and WBB. The Big East will certainly want to be part of the new, top division. But does it's media contract make it feasible to join the pay-the-players division? But even if it does, why would Nova have to play FBS football? It doesn't have to now to play DI basketball.

Same with Hockey. None of the mentioned schools play FBS football now. DI Hockey can remain DI hockey independent of division in other sports. The reality is very few P4 schools will have hockey, certainly not enough to have a viable, independent subdivision. And I wonder how many hockey programs are actually revenue sports? I recall reading not long ago that at UND, one of the top hockey programs in the country, the program itself actually did not make money. A school like UND isn't going to be able to pay players in the brave, new, college sports world.

There's a lot of detail missing from the NCAA proposal, if it is even a proposal yet. It's hard to imagine how it works without some of the same type of carve outs that now exist.
I asked this question elsewhere and this was someone's response. It makes sense.

From my understanding, they can designate the trust wherever they like so long as it covers half of their athletes, and half of those are female.

So Villanova can fund a trust to their basketball team and not their football team, or maybe just part of their football team depending how many athletes equates to half.

I'd like to see kids sign with conferences. This would likely create a big 2 scenario with the SEC/B1G getting most of the talent. The kids get a portion of the revenue just like the players in MLB, NFL, or NBA. There's a draft of the incoming freshman every year which would be another revenue stream.Players allowed one in-conference transfer, but the team losing the player receives a draft pick from the team accepting the transfer in the following draft. This would create more parity and create a better product on a week to week basis and allow for players to be paid without the ugliness of individual rich guys paying young adults/kids to play for thier favorite team.

Yes but he may be less inclined to do so if the school's already doing it. MN was never going to have enough rich donors to compete, at least this lets them divert some BTN/CBS/NBC $$ to NIL.
Out of curiosity, why do you assume that UMN wouldn't have rich donors? It's a good school... Right?

in the end, this will all be decided by the Courts. If the 'House' antitrust case is decided in favor of the players, and the Supreme Court upholds the decision, then the amateur system is gone and a whole new revenue-sharing system will have to be created.

and if that means Head Coaches have to get by on $1-million a year instead of $6-million, they'll just have to learn to live with it.

Without a a salary cap the coach money would be better spent procuring playmakers. Plenty of satisfactory coaches if year round recruiting isn’t the primary job requirement.

Saw a post that when Iowa Interim AD Beth Goetz was asked how much this proposal would cost Iowa, she said about $9M.

That’s got to be the baseline, before NIL bidding wars.
Is the $30,000 to go to 1/2 the Scholarship athletes or 1/2 of the total athletes?

If 1/2 scholarship athletes at the U of M got $30,000 it would be around $5M base.

Got to find a way to compare apples to apples.

Is the $30,000 to go to 1/2 the Scholarship athletes or 1/2 of the total athletes?

If 1/2 scholarship athletes at the U of M got $30,000 it would be around $5M base.

But then again, part of the proposal is to allow these schools to do away with scholarship limits however they see fit. Why would they give a fully scholly to every person on every roster? They can afford it

Out of curiosity, why do you assume that UMN wouldn't have rich donors? It's a good school... Right?
UMN has many rich, potential NIL donors. But I believe that the ethic prevailing in Minnesota (where we already have a full suite of professional sports) is that college sports are an amateur not professional endeavor. Our donors give generously to the institution for academic enrichment, but aren't there yet in terms of using those finite dollars to instead pay professional athletes, above the value of scholarships and stipends, to the detriment of contributions to the institution. The reverse is true in many helmet schools. For the U, it's not a lack of potential big donors; it is the "college vs. pro" mind-set and the academic-enrichment orientation of this potential donor group. That's what I believe, any how. And I believe it is a good thing.

Does Title IX apply to all athletes, or just scholarship athletes? That should answer the question.

For posterity, Title IX is a law about equal opportunity to participate.

That’s the actual language.

As we all know, language of laws has then been interpreted in order to be applied (or not) to actual real-world scenarios.

The one half of athletes thing….seems arbitrary. How do you apply this in the real world. I’d guess Goetz’s number applies to all athletes.

The memo also stated the 30k was just a base. There was no cap and diiferent amounts could be given to different athletes.

Seems like a Charlie Baker fever dream. I don’t think we’re dealing with the best of the best here. Legacy silver spoon kid. Who knows.

I'd like to see kids sign with conferences. This would likely create a big 2 scenario with the SEC/B1G getting most of the talent. The kids get a portion of the revenue just like the players in MLB, NFL, or NBA. There's a draft of the incoming freshman every year which would be another revenue stream.Players allowed one in-conference transfer, but the team losing the player receives a draft pick from the team accepting the transfer in the following draft. This would create more parity and create a better product on a week to week basis and allow for players to be paid without the ugliness of individual rich guys paying young adults/kids to play for thier favorite team.
A new idea that’s worthy of consideration. I like it!

I'd walk through the U Of MN Institute Of Technology and point to the biggest 30 guys and say "You're on the football team."

Have fun. Do your best. Laugh at how the other side cheers wildly for grown men who are still working on their time-tables.

The same media who says paying college FB & BB players is good.....says Derek Jeter is much better than Kirby Puckett.

They can kiss my backside. You guys are really actually entertaining the notion that paying college players is okay ??

They can kiss my backside. You guys are really actually entertaining the notion that paying college players is okay ??
Major college revenue sports are big business.
I'd walk through the U Of MN Institute Of Technology and point to the biggest 30 guys and say "You're on the football team."

Have fun. Do your best. Laugh at how the other side cheers wildly for grown men who are still working on their time-tables.
This is one of the worst takes I've ever seen here. And that's saying something.

Top Bottom