NCAA President to propose New Division

This is a terrible idea. This takes the lack of parity between the haves and the have-nots and pours gas on it.

I would like to see a solution that makes student-athletes employees of the school. That’s the only way that I see to get a handle on regulation in this environment.

I'm okay with this. Get the biggest financial programs the F outta here. And bring back transfer restrictions to the non-pro division. I want my college football back.
Amen brother!!

Read a story about this on yahoo and it was kind of fuzzy on the details but to me it feels like essentially this would be a split between Power 4/5 conferences and G5.

Not sure it would really address the disparity withing the power 4/5 programs already but basically feels like this move would give those schools a lot more freedom to directly pay players and there was stuff in there about changing or removing scholarship limits and stuff like that.

Pretty clear there is a split of some kind coming in the relatively near future. Whether or not this is the way it will go remains to be seen but something is coming.

This is a terrible idea. This takes the lack of parity between the haves and the have-nots and pours gas on it.

I would like to see a solutions that mashes the student-athletes employees of the school. That’s the only way that I see to get a handle on regulation in this environment.
At least it creates a line between the haves and have nots where we can put more reasonable rules into place with the have nots. We'll always, always be have nots and we shouldn't be in the same orbit as programs who will always be haves, I'd rather see them cannibalize themselves in their own division and not have us be collateral damage in player loss and having no shot at winning titles.

I want to have a legitimate chance at seeing us winning some kind of title and there's no way we can with the current system in place. That can be fixed if we put those who will always have more than us into a separate tier. Give me a Big Ten without the mess of OSU, Michigan, and Penn State, even if it means it's not the Big Ten anymore. No one else in the conference is even close to their caliber and that's because their schools have built their philosophy and culture around dumping resources left and right into football. We have not, we'll always be two steps behind. And that's fine. All we need are Wisconsin, Iowa, and Nebraska as far as I'm concerned.

This is far less earth shaking than might seem, at least for now.

Things the babiest of baby steps towards direct athlete employment.

It’s just going to allow the P schools to put up to $30k of their own (the school’s) money in a trust for the athlete. Meaning they can’t get the money until after they’re done.

Still preserves the appearance of amateur student-athlete, as the NCAA desperately wants.

Nothing else is affected. It’s not at all a formal split. These schools can still play as many of the “lower” FBS schools and have all those wins count toward bowl eligibility.

Both will have the same scholarship restrictions. Etc.

Nothing even close to separate post-seasons. Not at all.

Some of you jumping the gun big time on all that.

The devil would be in the details. Is this intended to separate the P4/G5 conferences or is it intended to separate the upper crust of the G4 universities? What happens to conference payouts if that is the case?

Need more info before I judge but I don't trust the NCAA to do anything correctly.

In addition to the trust, I think the point is that it opens the door for schools directly compensating athletes via NIL, etc. if they so choose as a group. This is the way it should be since schools are basically all professional minor league team owners now across multiple sports.

At least it creates a line between the haves and have nots where we can put more reasonable rules into place with the have nots. We'll always, always be have nots and we shouldn't be in the same orbit as programs who will always be haves, I'd rather see them cannibalize themselves in their own division and not have us be collateral damage in player loss and having no shot at winning titles.

I want to have a legitimate chance at seeing us winning some kind of title and there's no way we can with the current system in place. That can be fixed if we put those who will always have more than us into a separate tier. Give me a Big Ten without the mess of OSU, Michigan, and Penn State, even if it means it's not the Big Ten anymore. No one else in the conference is even close to their caliber and that's because their schools have built their philosophy and culture around dumping resources left and right into football. We have not, we'll always be two steps behind. And that's fine. All we need are Wisconsin, Iowa, and Nebraska as far as I'm concerned.
They aren't going to split up the Big Ten over it or the SEC...the Have Nots in those conferences will be joining hate to tell you.

For those of you who don't follow politics, this is the same Charlie Baker who was a very popular moderate Republican governor of Massachusetts prior to this gig.

They aren't going to split up the Big Ten over it or the SEC...the Have Nots in those conferences will be joining hate to tell you.
This. Minnesota isn't going to be voluntarily dropping down to something. Either we will be going along with the rest of the B1G together into the upper level, or a few programs (OSU, Michigan, PSU) leave to join something new on their own.

I know our chances at another football natty are slim and none, but there was always a slice of unrealistic hope. This proposal, if adopted, dashes my perspective of athletics at the U of MN. We now become a basketball or hockey school with a 50,000-seat stadium for concerts. Slim has left the building.

ps. Panthadad, MNVCGUY, Fred, Texan Gopher, please talk me off the ledge.

Per ESPN's article:

NCAA president Charlie Baker proposed rule changes Tuesday that would allow Division I schools for the first time to pay their athletes in ways that are not tied to educational resources.

Baker shared the proposed changes in a letter sent to member schools. If Division I schools choose to adopt the rules, they would be allowed to enter into name, image and likeness deals directly with their athletes. The new rules would also create a trust fund for athletes at the richest tier of athletic departments and allow those schools to create its own set of rules for recruiting, transfers, roster size and a wide range of other policies.

"[It] is time for us -- the NCAA -- to offer our own forward-looking framework," Baker said. "This framework must sustain the best elements of the student-athlete experience for all student-athletes, build on the financial and organizational investments that have positively changed the trajectory of women's sports, and enhance the athletic and academic experience for student-athletes who attend the highest resourced colleges and universities."

The policy would bring a major change to the foundational tenet of NCAA's long-held business model that prevented schools from providing any non-academic-based compensation to athletes. Baker's letter said the change is necessary during a time when the revenue generated by top colleges is poised to grow significantly, and the legal pressure to compensate athletes continues to mount.

He wrote the new policy would help gender equity by demanding that schools provide equal NIL investments for their men's and women's teams on campus. The proposed new model would require the top tier of schools to set aside at least $30,000 per year for at least half of its athletes in "an enhanced educational trust fund."

The letter doesn't define a line for which schools would fall in that top-earning subdivision, but instead says the new framework would give schools the option to decide. The top schools, which according to letter are more impacted "by collectives, the Transfer Portal and NIL," would be allowed to create their own set of rules to help police those areas of the market for college athletes in unique ways.

Baker said in the letter that these new rules will help provide a model to show to Congress in the NCAA's ongoing quest for new federal laws to help in governing college sports. Baker and other NCAA leaders have been asking Congress for three years to create a law that would allow them to keep college athletes from becoming employees, create uniform rules for NIL deals and avoid future antitrust lawsuits. Those efforts have so far failed to gain significant momentum, with several key lawmakers telling the institutions that they need to make efforts to solve their own problems before the government intervenes.

Baker, who took over as the NCAA president in March, has said multiple times during his tenure that he believes the highest-earning echelon of college sports operates in a different reality than the overwhelming majority of NCAA schools.

"[This proposal] kick-starts a long-overdue conversation among the membership that focuses on the differences that exist between schools, conferences and divisions and how to create more permissive and flexible rules across the NCAA that put student-athletes first," he said. "Colleges and universities need to be more flexible, and the NCAA needs to be more flexible, too."

Go Gophers!!

I know our chances at another football natty are slim and none, but there was always a slice of unrealistic hope. This proposal, if adopted, dashes my perspective of athletics at the U of MN. We now become a basketball or hockey school with a 50,000-seat stadium for concerts. Slim has left the building.

ps. Panthadad, MNVCGUY, Fred, Texan Gopher, please talk me off the ledge.

Some of the teeth is in the Title IX aspects of the schools controlling NIL and other aspects. Female sports are not going to sit idle and let the men take all the dough when the schools control it.

This allows the top 64 or so schools to play by their own rules. What that looks like we don't know.

This is far less earth shaking than might seem, at least for now.

Things the babiest of baby steps towards direct athlete employment.

It’s just going to allow the P schools to put up to $30k of their own (the school’s) money in a trust for the athlete. Meaning they can’t get the money until after they’re done.

Still preserves the appearance of amateur student-athlete, as the NCAA desperately wants.

Nothing else is affected. It’s not at all a formal split. These schools can still play as many of the “lower” FBS schools and have all those wins count toward bowl eligibility.

Both will have the same scholarship restrictions. Etc.

Nothing even close to separate post-seasons. Not at all.

Some of you jumping the gun big time on all that.

Sounds like they are throwing crumbs, TBH. The players should be insulted.

Get the TV money.

And nothing about this will stop the pay for play disguised as NIL. Let's be honest here. If rich Cletus Pennybags wants to drop six figures to buy a wide receiver for Bama, he's still going to do that.

MSP is viable for every pro sport played in the USA why wouldn’t it be viable for paid college football also? Would just require a change in mindset and economics.

Minnesota can afford to pay the people who work in the state 40% more than the average Alabaman. Why should college football be the only exception?

If we arrive at some kind of officially paid players model it may come with a salary cap and could maybe usher in a future of Minnesota at relative parity with Ohio State

Or it could all blow up and we’re trying to win the free-to-play mode against other mid-resource programs

Sounds like they are throwing crumbs, TBH. The players should be insulted.

Get the TV money.
Exactly. It's about the TV money. That's where the big time money is.

I'm going to step out onto the ledge here.....

How ridiculous is all of this?? Fans across the country are being asked to donate money and/or start fundraisers to buy players for our favorite college athletic teams?? Or to raise money for the players so they don't leave??

Yes, I know. I get it. NIL is NOT going away.

What is the size the the media check that the U receives each year for being in the Big Ten? It's an incredible amount. And how much will that annual check be moving forward? Every. Single. Year.

And we have to donate and/or start fundraisers like selling beer and pizzas?
What is this, a church fundraiser? For a D1 athletic program?

I get it, I get it. It's an arms race, and always has been. It's the world we live in. I love my team. But my goodness....it just feels ridiculous. And if we don't do it, we simply fall behind.

Thanks for letting me whine and complain.

Back to business.

So i could be WAY wrong on this, but here is how I read some of this:

"breaking off for schools who have the ability to fund this" So they talk about having the money, sure some individual schools do, but to me this is Hey SEC and Big 10 have WAY more money as a group, sorry other teams you arent in. I think to me that leads to ok each of you get to 20 teams (leading to a massive rush on the schools not in to fight for those last spots) now we have a 40 team group, you only play other teams in this group and then I think it basically turns into the NFL. You play 12 games, 9 against your conference and 3 against the other and top whatever 8 teams in each get in and the title game is the Big10 winner vs the SEC winner. Then they set up a tv deal and those 40 schools rake in the cash.

Now on one level this makes a ton of sense, teams like wazzu/san diego st/boston college etc have something they could maybe win. But it is interesting to see what happens at the bottom of this group. the MIN/Rutgers/Miss St of the world. I see one article says the conference could essentially force a school to have $XX in the bank or they would have to leave. Could they just try to price out those teams in favor of a team like Ok St where T Boone can just pay the bill? In that scenario as a gophers fan what is better? Going like 2-10 to 6-6 most years but you are in with the big boys and have $$$ or would you prefer like 9-3 each year but you are playing the lesser teams and have less $$. Hard question to answer. I would say this, the $$$ coming in from this league would in theory allow the basketball teams, volleyball, hockey etc to have a huge leg up on other teams. Hey sorry Gonzaga, you can pay Few $8m a year, we now have this football FBS+ money we can pay him $12m (not saying we would do that but I think its the upside of this)

Again could be way off but this to me has Big 10 v SEC 40 teams written all over it for football. You keep the big rivalries you get a bigger playoff, they consolidate the money and they tell the other P5/G5 schools hey you cant play with us but you can win a title possibly now.

How ridiculous is all of this?? Fans across the country are being asked to donate money and/or start fundraisers to buy players for our favorite college athletic teams?? Or to raise money for the players so they don't leave??

What is the size the the media check that the U receives each year for being in the Big Ten? It's an incredible amount. And how much will that annual check be moving forward? Every. Single. Year.

I get it, I get it. It's an arms race, and always has been. It's the world we live in. I love my team. But my goodness....it just feels ridiculous. And if we don't do it, we simply fall behind.

Back to business.
If they stopped using money from the football program and TV contract to subsidize a bunch of non-profitable sports Minnesota is a top 25 resource football program and can definitely afford to buy lots of expensive football players

This is really where it’s heading. Winner take all, like everything else in America. In this case football wins over all other sports. Sports are just about the only place left where America deeply cares about competitive balance but that too will fade.

Back to business.
TV money is what should be used, it’s essentially the players, or the game, bringing in the money. They could designate an amount to be used for NIL and level the playing field. Fans buy tickets, merchandise, cable or streaming packages, some even pay tuition, isn’t that enough?

This is stupid. It just allows more sources for funding without limits. All of the schools that have huge NIL booster deals will just add huge pools of funds coming from the schools. There is no restrictions to amount of funding and thus will keep it as an arms race. Even Professional sports has spending limits and caps that pretend to create parity.

This has all destroyed college sports.

Since College sports has now become a profession, why not set up levels of "pay" like it is in the NFL, NBA, etc.. with caps and ranges. So a few teams can not buy everyone. Set up the pay ranges for each level of play (D1, D3). Schools can then decide which level they want to play and make it a more even playing field.

Top Bottom