NCAA 2023 Brackets

Copied over from another forum Thursday and Friday times listed for all upcoming Thursday and Friday matches on ESPN+.

I realize this is probably linked somewhere else, but for my TV viewing planning, I just wanted it all in one easy spot.

(All EST)

Just think, you East Coast types can start watching VB at 4p and wrap up about Midnight

Anybody else catching any of these matches?

Penn State did not appear on top of their game vs. Yale.

As expected Wisconsin basically did not have any competition in their first match.

Purdue looked really good.

I am expecting Nebraska to easily win today.

Here's hoping the Gophers can continue their best volleyball of the season and maybe even pick it up a notch or two. After watching some of the Louisville opening match vs. Wright State, I still feel they have a great chance to face Louisville in the top 16. Go Gophers!

We will be down to the top 16 after today's rounds.

SEC 4 out of 8 still in (Florida-Auburn-Texas A&M-Georgia are out)
BIG all 5 still in
PAC all 5 still in
ACC 3 out of 5 still in (Miami Fl-Florida State are out)
Big 12 4 out of 7 still in (Kansas-Iowa State-Baylor are out)
Sun Belt all 4 out
Mountain West all 3 out

Last edited:

Getting to watch the volleyball tourney is a nice little perk for having Disney Plus for my son. It's probably the only time of the year I even turn ESPN+ on.

The committee was pretty generous in letting Florida host the first couple of rounds. They were only 10-8 since Stuckey, their star setter, went out. Great finish to that match versus Georgia Tech.

I had a hard time pulling for Penn State versus Kansas. I like the Big Ten looking dominant but Penn State has won enough over the decades. Felt conflicted on that one.

Purdue's Chloe Chicoine hit .256 on the season with a dozen matches over .300 and even .400. That's impressive considering that her listed height of 5'10" might be generous.

What a fraud SEC volleyball is. Junior varsity.

8 teams in … 3 left. Tennessee will lose to Texas, and Ark will lose to Kentucky, who will then lose to Neb.

Of the 3 remaining, only one had to face a single seeded team to get there.

Right now it is tied up 1-1 with Creighton and Louisville. IMO KBB has done her homework and has the players to pull an upset....we shall see. Louisville up 2-1 after winning third set 25-23.

Going 5 sets.....Creighton 26-24 set 4. Really huge controversial call in Louisville's favor at the 5-3 mark in the fifth to go up 6-3. Unfortunately, Creighton struggling to regroup after that. Louisville advances winning 15-8 in the fifth.

Expecting Wisconsin to beat Penn State but it would be really nice to see Purdue beat Oregon and advance to the top 8.....again, we shall see.

Last edited:

What a fraud SEC volleyball is. Junior varsity.

8 teams in … 3 left. Tennessee will lose to Texas, and Ark will lose to Kentucky, who will then lose to Neb.

Of the 3 remaining, only one had to face a single seeded team to get there.
Guess it makes no difference what sport it is when it comes to the SEC or is that the ACC? Isn't Texas moving to the SEC next year? The Big 12 had 7 teams to start and are now down to Texas.

Last edited:

Nebraska vs GA Tech match on and they are leading 1-0. The Freshman led team is now leading 20-14 in set 2. As expected NB up 2-0 after a 25-16 second set win and hitting .370 as a team so far.

Yes Nesbraska is advancing with a sweep of GA Tech winning the third set 25-21. Beason transferring in from Florida has truly been a PLUS for Nebraska . Nebraska is so loaded with talent this season and these Freshman and Beason have just fit in so well with their returning 3 starters.

Believe Nebraska has at least 4 or more they are adding to their roster next season....as if they really need to.

Last edited:

Pitt vs Washington State playing right now. Set 1 to Pitt 25-20 and set 2 with a score of 25-13.

Washington State really needs this timeout and to start playing their volleyball. Otherwise, this game is easily over in three.

No energy from the Washington State players as the announcers are alluding to. Certainly sounds familiar. Pitt hitting .423 and again Freshman players shining in a match.

Pitt wins it in three 25-16 to advance to the Elite Eight.

Last edited:

Onto the Kentucky vs Arkansas match. Kentucky up 24-17 in the first set and eventually coming out with the win 25-22.

Had to step away for awhile. WOW....Arkansas up 2-1 and 4th set tied at 11-11. Kentuckey took set four 25-22 to tie the match at 2 sets each.

Onto the fifth and deciding set. They just announced Kentucky at 29 errors...yikes! Switching sides with Arkansas up 8-4.

Will we see all red or a "splash" of blue in the Nebraska Regional Final? The answer to that is ALL RED. Arkansas defeated Kentuckey in five with a 15-10 final set win.

First Elite Eight ever for the Razorbacks.

Last edited:

I was actually commenting to friends that Washington St is looking like the Gophers in that match.

I am sure most of us are expecting Wisconsin to win this match. Penn played them tough on their home court, but it is an entirely different atmosphere at Wisconsin.

Always helps when you have 4 out of your six pins transferred in and you easily have above 6'5" represented at the net quite nicely.

18-8 Wisconsin with TO called by Penn State. Wisconsin wins 25-11. Now let's see if Penn State can bring them down off of "Cloud 9" and win the next set.

IMO Podraza hasn't had the caliber of players like she did at Ohio State. I know Texas wanted her but she stayed in the BIG instead and I am not sure what other BIG team needed a Grad setter. Mruzik transferred in from Michigan and I heard she is staying at Penn State. Another player for Penn State that was IMO a very great transfer in. i also like Wetherington on the right for Penn along with MB Trammel.

Set two and we are tied 17-17. Penn giving them a match and leading 22-19. Franklin in Penn's run had a couple of uncharacterisitc errors and almost her third just now. Finally Trammel out of the middle for Penn....then a net fault for Penn when they had set point at 28-27. Finally tied at 2-2 with a 30-28 set win for Penn State.

Set 3 with Penn TO and WIsconsin leading 12-7. Repeat of set one with Wisconsin up 18-7. They just announced 9 SE's for Penn State and Wisky wins 25-12.

Just like these announcers said, this Wisconsin team feeds off of momentum . Up 17-7 in set 4. As expected Wisconsin wins 3-1 with a 4th set score of 25-18.

Last edited:

UGH Penn St, at least make this competitive. Still bugs me too see Booth in a Badgers uniform but only 2 more years of that.

UGH Penn St, at least make this competitive. Still bugs me too see Booth in a Badgers uniform but only 2 more years of that.
Yes and one more year for Smrek I believe, but they have recruited some more outrageously tall players. I think GG comes up to Smrek's waist.

Last edited:

I was hoping Purdue could win that match but as we all know it just didn't come together for them. They have such a young team and hopefully they will be back next season. Their Duo Pins are two of the best Chicoine-Hudson. They are losing their DS Schermerhorn to graduation, which will be a huge hole for them to fill. Sound familiar?

In that Tennessee vs Texas match their Libero going down very early in that match reminded me of the Gopher's 2004 Final Four. The exact same thing happened to us with Gentil. So sad because this match could have been theirs.

TN should be proud of themselves. They really came together with their loss and had the match in their hands ahead 23-20 in that 4th set and leading 2 sets to 1 but just couldn't finish it losing in 5. One thing for sure, Texas is certainly not the All-Star Team they were last season and are very very very beatable....even at home.

IDK if anybody else has been following Texas all that much, but Wenaas has not had the year she or Texas were hoping for. Her hitting % ended up .044 this match and she is at .213 for the year. There certainly are their fans displeased with JE signing her. Not so sure she would have had a better year at Minnesota, if she had stayed.

Last edited:

Stanford has never had that great of a following for their VB team. Actually, this year is probably their best and they still can't fill an arena. In fact I think there might have been more fans from the other three teams in this region. It is just amazing when this program is one of the best out there for years. Stanford won in 4 over Arizona State.

Now, if I were a betting person I don't see them winning the NCAA Championship this year. Having home court advantage in this round has shown to be just huge in the majority of the matches. With that said, it should be Nebraska, Pitt, Wisconsin and Standford in the Final Four. However, if these matches were to be held on Neutral ground it might have been an entirely different story. IMO both Arkansas and Tennessee have represented the SEC very well.

Whether we want to admit it or not, the Committee got it right for the Elite Eight.

Sure, would be shocked if out of 16 richest schools in country they didn’t have at least a handful of good vball programs.

All grads or planning to transfer??

Works for me!! Bye Schaff

The schedule for today is with all matches airing on ESPNU/ESPN+

3 pm Louisville vs Pitt
5 pm Arkansas vs Nebraska
7 pm Oregon vs WIsconsin
9 pm Texas vs Stanford

This is weird. What is the connection to Oregon? And kind of a slap in the face to Purdue?
Probably none but they do have right off the court seats.

Someone was able to do some technical wizardry to put our Gopher players in Duck shirts and post it....that's all.

Last edited:

Sadly, on VT someone posted an insta from Schaff making it look like she will be back next year.

Darn

Probably none but they do have right off the court seats.

Someone was able to do some technical wizardry to put our Gopher players in Duck shirts and post it....that's all.
Are you saying it’s a fake?

This is weird. What is the connection to Oregon? And kind of a slap in the face to Purdue?
Not weird at all. Gabby Gonzalez played for Ohio State for 4 years before heading to Oregon for her final year. Murr played with Gonzalez. Looks like the players would rather pull for Oregon than their big ten rivals. Nothing odd about that. Why would you want to see your rivals achieve greatness?

Top Bottom