NBC Sees Big Ten Being ‘NFL of College Conferences’; proposing a strategy that calls for back-to-back, prime-time Big Ten and NFL games on Sat & Sun

Also, Warren is 100% correct that it is absolutely critical to end ESPN's monopoly on the CFP.

Never heard of this Ourand guy, or SBJ for that matter. Not sure what ring(s) he kissed, bribes paid, or what, but now suddenly he's the guy with all the updates:

ESPN has pulled out of Big Ten media rights negotiations entirely, ending one of the longest sports media relationships in the business. That move clears the way for CBS and NBC to join Fox Sports as Big Ten broadcasters starting with the 2023-24 school year. A formal announcement could come as early as this week. It could push into next week. As part of the deal terms, CBS is expected to carry a football game in the 3:30pm ET window on Saturdays, and NBC would carry one in primetime. NBC’s Peacock streaming service will carry an undetermined number of games per year exclusively. Peacock also will simulcast the games that air on NBC. ESPN said no to the conference’s final offer of a seven-year deal, sources said. That package was for linear-only games and did not have any direct-to-consumer rights. ESPN execs believed that they would have had to pay upwards of $380M per year to keep the package, which was much higher than they were willing to go. ESPN has carried Big Ten football games since 1982. ABC started carrying Big Ten games in 1966. Fox Sports will carry the ‘A’ package of games in the noon Saturday window. FS1 and BTN also will carry an undetermined number of games. Sources confirmed a N.Y. Post report that CBS will pay around $350M for its package. NBC also will pay $350M per year for its package, sources said.

So if Fox also pays $350M, then that's $1.05B per year, and divided by 16 teams is $65.625M.

Guess the Fox package is worth more though. Let's say $500M, then total is $1.2B and $75M per school.

That's just the main conf TV deal. All other sources of income would bump up that conference check probably another $10-20M per year per school, I think.

FWIW, if NBC ends up carrying BG10 games, that works for me. I used the Peacock app extensively for the first time recently for both the British Open and the Tour de France and came away really impressed. It's top notch compared to most others.

FWIW, if NBC ends up carrying BG10 games, that works for me. I used the Peacock app extensively for the first time recently for both the British Open and the Tour de France and came away really impressed. It's top notch compared to most others.
Guessing it won't let you skip through commercials -- if it allows any kind of delayed viewing at all.

Which is exactly what they want to prevent you from doing! (unless you pay extra)

Guessing it won't let you skip through commercials -- if it allows any kind of delayed viewing at all.

Which is exactly what they want to prevent you from doing! (unless you pay extra)

Yeah, commercials were a downside to using the app compared to a DVR. However, it had other options cable/satellite don't provide (at least for the events I was watching).

Agreed, though I do like "The Bear" guy on GameDay for some reason.

Yeah, the GameDay coverage of BIG TEN might plummet with this deal. Would they still travel to big national games if not involving SEC or ACC - I don’t know. Maybe NDSU.

So we're looking at $700 million between NBC and CBS. Streaming is probably $100-200 million. Fox would be $500 million.

Are we talking about a $1.4 billion package just for these rights?

So we're looking at $700 million between NBC and CBS. Streaming is probably $100-200 million. Fox would be $500 million.

The estimates were around 100 million per school before USC and UCLA were added…so if it’s less than 1.6 billion I’ll be a little disappointed in the negotiating team

The estimates were around 100 million per school before USC and UCLA were added…so if it’s less than 1.6 billion I’ll be a little disappointed in the negotiating team
Was that $100 million from this deal alone, or all athletic payouts like bowl games, NCAA Tournament appearances, etc.?

I think that $100M per year per school figure is with everything. All revenue sources that come into the Big Ten. CFP money, Bowl game money, March Madness money. So thinking that extra stuff is $10-20M per year per school above the main TV deal.

I could see $700M NBC+CBS, $4-500M Fox, and $100M all else (any other streaming like Apple/Amazon, and then BTN for the remainder). NBC's chunk probably includes the games on Peacock (not a separate deal).

I've always wondered but never seen it reported every year what BTN pays to the Big Ten for all the remainder content per year. I know it's a bit like robbing Peter to pay Paul, since the network is half owned by the Big Ten. But the network incurs costs and has advertising revenue, Fox takes a bite, etc.

I think that $100M per year per school figure is with everything. All revenue sources that come into the Big Ten. CFP money, Bowl game money, March Madness money. So thinking that extra stuff is $10-20M per year per school above the main TV deal.
Ah

The SEC still has a lot of content to sell, as part of the main package that I'm sure multiple TV networks will bid for, just like with the Big Ten.
As is the case with the ACC, ESPN now owns all-things-SEC through the mid/late 2030’s. CBS’s old “game of the week” rights are worth about 1/3 of all SEC media rights.

I keep hearing that ESPN will agree to renegotiate their contract because of the TX and OK additions. But the only reason ESPN would ever do that is if there is some very serious doubts that TX and OK are actually going to make move.

Rumor is there is another streaming package up for sale too like I feared. That really sucks. What was once available entirely on cable, YouTube TV, etc will now require that plus another streaming package.

And that’s just for the B1G, the good days of every power conference college football game being on tv are over.

As is the case with the ACC, ESPN now owns all-things-SEC through the mid/late 2030’s. CBS’s old “game of the week” rights are worth about 1/3 of all SEC media rights.

I keep hearing that ESPN will agree to renegotiate their contract because of the TX and OK additions. But the only reason ESPN would ever do that is if there is some very serious doubts that TX and OK are actually going to make move.
Ah ... I see. Yep, I was wrong. You're right on this.

My bad -- I thought it was the whole thing that the SEC was putting up for bid. But it was just the bit that CBS had.

Like you say, they signed with ESPN in 2013 for the main deal, through 2034.

ESPN has a separate deal with the SEC, which also runs until 2034, covering events in football, men’s and women’s basketball, baseball and softball. The pair also penned an agreement in 2013 for the creation of the SEC Network, the conference’s dedicated channel.

This now makes sense for why I (too) am seeing chatter/ideas on message boards about ESPN, SEC, and ACC doing some kind of "grand realignment" and upping the ante on both conf's money. Making a defacto P3 or at least P2.5.

But even with TX and OU coming in, ESPN "only" paid $300M/yr for the "game of the week" type package, which includes the Conf Championship game.

Neither NBC or CBS get that (the Big Ten CCG) in their packages, and they were willing to pay $350M/yr each. Though possibly more than just one game per week and also possibly streaming content?
(EDIT: at least, I don't think either got the Big Ten CCG? I thought that was staying with Fox)

Rumor is there is another streaming package up for sale too like I feared. That really sucks. What was once available entirely on cable, YouTube TV, etc will now require that plus another streaming package.

And that’s just for the B1G, the good days of every power conference college football game being on tv are over.
I'm really hoping it's not going to be on AppleTV+. Like you say, that would be just another monthly bill.

If it's on Amazon Prime Video, at least, well I already have Prime, so no more there.

I'm really hoping it's not going to be on AppleTV+. Like you say, that would be just another monthly bill.

If it's on Amazon Prime Video, at least, well I already have Prime, so no more there.
My hunch is Peacock because of the B1G throwing NBC a bone as a thank you for the hundreds of millions of dollars, but I think it will be ATV+ if it’s not Peacock.

And depending on how many games we’re talking, if ATV+ wins it they may make it a separate package like they’re doing with MLS.

Peacock is already guaranteed. That was part of the package that NBC is paying for.

This is another streaming package. I believe I read that Apple and Amazon are the two bidding on it.

I hope between those two, they kill of BTN+. Thing is such a joke ... charge people $5/month to throw up, sometimes very poorly done, student productions or at worse just a damn static webcam pointed at the game/match.

As far as I know with Peacock, you can get that for free, if you watch with ads. If you pay extra, you can skip ads. Not sure if that will hold with sports.

Agree. Apple TV would suck.

Peacock is already guaranteed. That was part of the package that NBC is paying for.

This is another streaming package. I believe I read that Apple and Amazon are the two bidding on it.

I hope between those two, they kill of BTN+. Thing is such a joke ... charge people $5/month to throw up, sometimes very poorly done, student productions or at worse just a damn static webcam pointed at the game/match.

As far as I know with Peacock, you can get that for free, if you watch with ads. If you pay extra, you can skip ads. Not sure if that will hold with sports.
Oh goodness, 2 streaming deals? Well then I guess I don’t care who wins between Amazon and Apple. As long as it’s not a bolt on package to those services.

For peacock, I know the free tier doesn’t include sports. In fact, it doesn’t even include their entire on demand catalog. The 2nd tier still has ads but gives you all the live content. The 3rd tier skips ads.

I'd like to hope they'd offer at least the live broadcasts of Big Ten football games for free with ads ... maybe you can only do re-watches with a package?

Probably wishful thinking

I know if you have Xfinity cable, that Peacock (including sports) is included. Just use your Xfinity login to access.
One downside though is no dvr option with that. Found that out with premier league soccer. I don't know if they save past broadcasts for later viewing in any way?

That's BS if there is no way to watch it later and no DVR. I know they want to force you watch commercials, but come on. Delayed viewing is perfectly valid.

If they won't allow it, then I'm likely out. Sorry

Peacock has replay. At least they do for EPL. Not sure how long it sticks around though.

But I can definitely watch last weekends EPL matches right now. Even the game that was on TV has the replay available.

Peacock has replay. At least they do for EPL. Not sure how long it sticks around though.

But I can definitely watch last weekends EPL matches right now. Even the game that was on TV has the replay available.
Can you fast forward in the replay?

Top Bottom