National Pub

I guess Katz doesn't let editors take a quick look for ridiculousness in his 'blog'.

"I woke up the next morning and heard five different stories, that a girl got raped, a girl got jumped, a girl got beat up and I heard by the afternoon that they were looking for three suspects," Mbakwe said. "And then I heard I was one of them. I brushed it off because I didn't do anything."

Two weeks later, Mbakwe was called into the basketball office at Miami Dade and told a warrant had been issued for his arrest.

"My heart just dropped," Mbakwe said. "It was a whole new world after that. My emotions were all over the place. I said, 'this can't happen.' I watch a lot of Law and Order and the first thing I thought about were these people that spend 30 years in jail over crimes they didn't commit. The whole thing was surreal."

Soon afterward, Mbakwe called Minnesota coach Tubby Smith.

"I was at the Final Four [in Detroit] and I got the call," Smith said. "I told him he needs to get a lawyer. He was worried about his safety. I told him you need to look out for yourself."

Mbakwe said he went back home to St. Paul, Minn., and then had to return to Miami to turn himself in. He was released and then made another appearance in Miami to meet with his attorney.

The date of the incident was April 3. The dates of the Final Four were April 4 & 6. So, "two weeks later" from April 3, he finds out there are charges and "soon afterward" he calls Tubby, who tells him he needs to get a lawyer. Obviously the timeline and fact pattern presented is inaccurate. This is a story that should be left alone...

Let's just stick with one key fact and be done with it: prosecution will not be pursued once Mbakwe finishes his community service.

The "two weeks later" statement was incorrect. He booked out of town within a day or two of the incident - so he probably called Tubby the next day or something, and not two weeks after the fact.

The "two weeks later" statement was incorrect. He booked out of town within a day or two of the incident - so he probably called Tubby the next day or something, and not two weeks after the fact.

He booked out of town within hours of the incident....

no offense but who cares? Only Gopher fans care about the nitpicky details. The average CBB fan got the gist of the situation and that's what matters

no offense but who cares? Only Gopher fans care about the nitpicky details. The average CBB fan got the gist of the situation and that's what matters

It's not caring about the nitpicky details. Far more significant than that.

This is frustrating. In court documents, police indicate his mom told them that he had returned to Minnesota on the very day of the assault - April 3.

"I brushed it off because I didn't do anything."

I thought brushing something off means you don't give it any real consideration... but maybe it really means you pack up, quit school and hop on a 1,700+ mile flight immediately.

Two weeks later, Mbakwe was called into the basketball office at Miami Dade and told a warrant had been issued for his arrest.

Don't know where Katz got this from... as I understand it, there was no warrant initially issued - Mbakwe and his attorney knew police were looking for him, and his attorney talked to the authorities and told them Mbakwe would turn himself in and therefore there was no need to issue a warrant...

Advice for the young man..
On this topic, state only: “It was a difficult period of time, I dealt with it, and I am moving forward.”
On other topics: Only discuss on-court matters (games and practice).

It's not caring about the nitpicky details. Far more significant than that.

This is frustrating. In court documents, police indicate his mom told them that he had returned to Minnesota on the very day of the assault - April 3.

I thought brushing something off means you don't give it any real consideration... but maybe it really means you pack up, quit school and hop on a 1,700+ mile flight immediately.

Don't know where Katz got this from... as I understand it, there was no warrant initially issued - Mbakwe and his attorney knew police were looking for him, and his attorney talked to the authorities and told them Mbakwe would turn himself in and therefore there was no need to issue a warrant...

Advice for the young man..
On this topic, state only: “It was a difficult period of time, I dealt with it, and I am moving forward.”
On other topics: Only discuss on-court matters (games and practice).

Geez, good thing no one elected you judge, jury, and executioner.

Also, I have nothing wrong with the way he's handled it. I feel that he has been professional through it all.

Considering the video with Katz in front of the barn....

Considering it's actually in front of the Biermann Athletic complex... Didn't you see the gigantic dreadlocked man walk through near the beginning?

The ESPNU College Basketball podcast is out with Gottlieb and Katz. Katz's lovefest with the Gophers gets about 4 minutes of coverage. Starts around the 12:30 mark. They have a few "misunderstandings" in the show (Al Nolen developing into a decent shooter and calling Westbrook Lorenzo, but Gottlieb does correct Katz on that one), but all in all, I'm happy the Gophs are getting some more national coverage. Katz is putting a lot of emphasis on the Puerto Rico tourny and potential match-up with UNC.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/podcast/index

The ESPNU College Basketball podcast is out with Gottlieb and Katz. Katz's lovefest with the Gophers gets about 4 minutes of coverage. Starts around the 12:30 mark. They have a few "misunderstandings" in the show (Al Nolen developing into a decent shooter and calling Westbrook Lorenzo, but Gottlieb does correct Katz on that one), but all in all, I'm happy the Gophs are getting some more national coverage. Katz is putting a lot of emphasis on the Puerto Rico tourny and potential match-up with UNC.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/podcast/index

The Gopher talk actually starts at about the 16:30 mark.

Top Bottom