Mystery Commit? - Per MVofDT

KillKoolAid

Reaction score
Per MV's 7/15 Coffee Links comment http://fringebowlteamblog.com/?p=3985#comments, he states the following:

There will be news of an offensive player who the staff will probably land coming in the next few days that will surprise some people. And by surprise, I mean that: you wouldn’t think this player would still want to come here or that the staff would still be recruiting him.

My only guess is another QB, possibly the dual-threat Robert Gregory http://rivals.yahoo.com/minnesota/football/recruiting/player-Robert-Gregory-112400

Anybody have a guess? Sounds like speculation at this point, but still news nonetheless.

If it is true that we are adding another quarterback commitment, then we will have an interesting reshuffling of the QB positions. I wonder who will move to TE, WR, or another position. And are we going to see someone transfer?

If it is true that we are adding another quarterback commitment, then we will have an interesting reshuffling of the QB positions. I wonder who will move to TE, WR, or another position. And are we going to see someone transfer?

It's tough to say...

We might see someone transfer, but most of the QBs seem to know the situation going in. Hypothetically, if Gregory is the guy, we'd have 5 "QB's" from these last two classes, i'd guess 3 of those players would stay at QB.

Kill will likely want a true QB from each class and then an almost "super wildcat" type of player. He seems to do this quite a bit where he uses an athletic QB in certain situations who isn't the #1 or the backup. He has said he does this to keep his starter fresh and to be able to keep utilizing the QB runs without getting the starter knicked up.

Last season, Jordan Lynch (FR) rushed for 370 yards from the QB position and it wasn't done as the backup QB nor in a mop up role.

The battle for that position would likely be with Foreman and Gregory and the other one will probably end up a S or WR. (Foreman could be a RB too).

As far as positional flexibility: Leidner could probably be a decent TE/H-Back, I'm not sure Shortell or Nelson have a lot of versatility, and Foreman and Gregory could probably play WR/S.

It's tough to say...

We might see someone transfer, but most of the QBs seem to know the situation going in. Hypothetically, if Gregory is the guy, we'd have 5 "QB's" from these last two classes, i'd guess 3 of those players would stay at QB.

Kill will likely want a true QB from each class and then an almost "super wildcat" type of player. He seems to do this quite a bit where he uses an athletic QB in certain situations who isn't the #1 or the backup. He has said he does this to keep his starter fresh and to be able to keep utilizing the QB runs without getting the starter knicked up.

Last season, Jordan Lynch (FR) rushed for 370 yards from the QB position and it wasn't done as the backup QB nor in a mop up role.

The battle for that position would likely be with Foreman and Gregory and the other one will probably end up a S or WR. (Foreman could be a RB too).
As far as positional flexibility: Leidner could probably be a decent TE/H-Back, I'm not sure Shortell or Nelson have a lot of versatility, and Foreman and Gregory could probably play WR/S.

Nelson and Leidner have a very good chance of becoming starting QBs. I think they fit the offense better than Shortell, although Shortell apparently moves pretty well himself so it should be interesting. The thing I like about this staff is they will adjust the offense fit the talent until the talent really fits the offense. Even though they are different players, both Leidner and Nelson should both be able to run this offense. I have liked what I have heard about Nelson from the start, I still think he will be a star. Gregory is a terrific athlete, not to Gray's level, but with a redshirt year he could be an excellent athlete at several positions, I hope we get him. The ESPN profile pretty much projects him to move to WR in college.

i always chuckle at the mystery commit guys. the "i have inside info but i'm not going to share it yet" guys. if you got the info, then share it. if you can't share it for some reason, then don't act all insidy. i just dont get the point of saying i know something you don't and i can't tell you for a few days. seems self serving. no?

i always chuckle at the mystery commit guys. the "i have inside info but i'm not going to share it yet" guys. if you got the info, then share it. if you can't share it for some reason, then don't act all insidy. i just dont get the point of saying i know something you don't and i can't tell you for a few days. seems self serving. no?

I have the perfect answer to this, but I can't tell you.

I could tell you but I'd have to KILL you.

O.K. so MV writes about the Lynn commit and adds this line:

Lynn is the first prospect from Illinois to pledge to Coach Kill for the 2012 class (possibly not the last?).

Anybody think this is some Da Vinci Code type hidden message about the mystery recruit? I don't have the energy to search for possible Illinois prospects that might fill the bill.

O.K. so MV writes about the Lynn commit and adds this line:

Lynn is the first prospect from Illinois to pledge to Coach Kill for the 2012 class (possibly not the last?).

Anybody think this is some Da Vinci Code type hidden message about the mystery recruit? I don't have the energy to search for possible Illinois prospects that might fill the bill.

Robert Gregory. Chicago, Illinois. From the OP.

How much longer efore we find out?

Top Bottom