Myron's top 10 college basketball coaches

Sorry, but this analysis is just wrong in the eyes of this Badger fan. Bucky in '05 played UNC in a very tight Elite Eight game. A possession or two turns out differently and they knock off the eventual champs.

No. I said you won't be making many F4s without NBA talent. That's the truth. You had one "luck of the draw" type Final Four in 2000, and few NBA draft picks since - it comes as no surprise to me that you haven't been back to the F4. Until Bo starts getting NBA talent more often (maybe he's got a start with Dekker), the best you can hope for is a once-in-a-generation (for the program) luck of the draw Final Four like what George Mason and VCU had (and I put Butler's 2011 F4 in that category as well). As you know, sometimes you get unlucky by having a bad draw (having the future champs in your region would qualify for that), but Bo has been in the tournament every year and had a fairly high seed most seasons, and he still has never broken through. Now, I'm not saying the lack of NBA talent/luck of the draw F4 doesn't happen, as we've seen one in 2006 with George Mason and a couple in 2011 with Butler and VCU (I don't put Butler's 2010 run with lotto pick Gordon Hayward in the same fluke category). But for any particular program, they're once in a generation, that's why I am confident that Bo will not make more than 1 F4 without getting more NBA talent. And like it or not, F4 runs in the tournament are one of the most important barometers of a coach because it's the most important part of the season and you're comparing Bo to other coaches who have made it multiple times and won NCs, not other coaches who don't make the tournament or don't win conference titles. I think the better argument is whether Bo is overrated on the list considering Jim Calhoun is not on it - you can argue with all the negatives (missing the tourney with NBA talent, lots of transfers, underachievement with his most talented team in 2006, APR problems, etc.) but he has won 3 national titles, which is more than almost all the coaches on that list, and he's done it at a program that he had to build up himself rather than inheriting a job where the program is typically elite like UNC or Kansas.

When you make the tournament every year, and typically have a top-4 or 5 seed, your suggestion about a bad draw preventing Bo from making the F4 becomes ridiculous because you don't get a bad draw every year. 2011 is a perfect example, as UW had a great draw for a #4 seed - they had a #1 seed in Pitt that had no NBA talent (a rarity for #1 seeds), and a #2 seed in Florida that many experts felt was overseeded and had just been routed by #4 seed Kentucky in the SEC tourney. There were even some national pundits picking UW to the F4 after the brackets came out. You end up losing to a #8 seed Butler team with one second-round pick, which is the same as what Wisconsin had - if you believe the cliche about Bo that he does more with less than anyone else, any team that has similar talent should lose to him ... but it didn't happen there. I believe even with the most optimistic view that Butler was no more than the 5th or 6th-best team in that tournament. One latent benefit of having a high seed several times is you get more bites at the apple, so one bad draw won't prevent you from making a deep tourney run. Wisconsin even had a good draw this past season, with #1 seed Syracuse losing their big man Melo they were prime for being upset, and UW had beaten #2 seed OSU on the road less than a month before the tournament, but UW could not capitalize on another draw with good potential. I would say UW had a bad draw with one of Bo's best teams in 2008, with champion Kansas as their #1 seed and Davidson the opponent in the Sweet 16 (I think that Davidson team was probably the best true mid-major we've seen in the tournament in recent years, but they didn't make the F4 because they had to play one of the 2 best teams in the tournament to get there). But the bad draws and good ones even out when you make the tourney every year and have a high seed several times.

I never said anything about Bo's style of play, just that he doesn't get NBA talent for the most part - that doesn't have anything to do with pace/strengths/weaknesses/strategy, it's all about talent of the players. That's a fact, no mischaracterization. If he was getting NBA talent, he'd be pumping out a lot more NBA draft picks because Bo is a superior talent developer, right? You didn't do anything to disprove anything I said because all the teams with a single F4 run that had no NBA talent have not repeated it. Butler had a lottery pick in 2010 and another 2nd round draft pick on that 2010 team in 2011 - I think you've got to separate the 2010 and 2011 Butler teams and characterize them differently because their run in 2010 was legit but their 2011 run was more of the luck of the draw variety akin to VCU and George Mason. Maryland had future NBA players on their team - they didn't have McD's AAs, but a better judge of talent is which players are drafted by and/or make the NBA, and Maryland had at least two guys on that team who have had long NBA careers.

Here are Wisconsin's seeds since Bo became head coach:

2002-8 seed, lost to 1 seed and eventual champ Maryland in R32
2003-5 seed, lost to 1 seed Kentucky in S16
2004-6 seed, lost to 3 seed Pitt in R32
2005-6 seed, lost to 1 seed and eventual champ UNC in E8
2006-9 seed, lost to 8 seed Arizona in 1st round
2007-2 seed, lost to 7 seed UNLV in R32 (Brian Butch injured and out for tourney)
2008-3 seed, lost to 10 seed Davidson in S16
2009-12 seed, lost to 4 seed Xavier in R32
2010-4 seed, lost to 12 seed Cornell in R32
2011-4 seed, lost to 8 seed Butler in S16
2012-4 seed, lost to 1 seed Syracuse in S16

So only once in this time period were the Badgers given a seed that even would suggest they should reach the E8 with a 2 seed in 2007, but they were going in without one of their top scorers and best defensive rebounder. The only years where they were "upset" were the losses to Davidson, Cornell, and perhaps Butler. Davidson as you point out nearly knocked off Kansas. Cornell played a strong game against Kentucky. Butler made it to the title game.

Since 1985, only 26 teams seeded 4 or lower have reached the FF, compared to 82 for the top 3 seedlines. You point out the '11 season as a year where Bucky had a good draw, but I remember quite a few talking heads picking against UW for both their 1st round game against Belmont and almost everyone picking Kansas St to knock them out in the 2nd round. Quite simply, my contention is that Bo's teams have been as you say solid, with the possibility to advance further but it simply hasn't happened. You contend that it won't because he doesn't have NBA players, my view is that they simply need a better performance in a game or two from players like Jon Leuer (had his worst game of his senior year against Butler) or a shot from Jordan Taylor to go in instead of rimming out against Syracuse and they are right there.

As an OSU fan, you know how close the Badgers were against the Oden-Conley led Buckeye team in '07. They split the season series and Bucky played them close in Columbus despite losing Butch to a gruesome injury in that game. Those unfortunate things happen to all teams, so it is no excuse. I just disagree that you need 1-and-done type NBA talent to reach the FF. It certainly makes it easier, but it is no prerequisite.

obobo55 said:
my view is that they simply need a better performance in a game or two from players like Jon Leuer (had his worst game of his senior year against Butler) or a shot from Jordan Taylor to go in instead of rimming out against Syracuse and they are right there.

I get what you're saying. The "what if" game makes some people feel good. When your top guys don't show up for a tough game or they miss a big shot, you consider it pretty much the same as a victory. Heck, Joel Maturi likes to play the same game - if your players get arrested, fail classes, transfer out or get injured, he can dream up an argument that Minnesota "would have been in the tournament four straight years."

Some of us on the other hand recognize not winning games as not getting the job done.

Two different ways of thinking (one of them being rational).

Bo is a good coach. I dislike uw-madison's style and it's certainly not for everyone, but he's done extremely well. Still, his accomplishments are well in the shadows of Izzo's.

I get what you're saying. The "what if" game makes some people feel good. When your top guys don't show up for a tough game or they miss a big shot, you consider it pretty much the same as a victory. Heck, Joel Maturi likes to play the same game - if your players get arrested, fail classes, transfer out or get injured, he can dream up an argument that Minnesota "would have been in the tournament four straight years."

Some of us on the other hand recognize not winning games as not getting the job done.

Bo is a good coach. I dislike uw-madison's style and it's certainly not for everyone, but he's done extremely well. Still, his accomplishments are well in the shadows of Izzo's.

I have never said that Ryan's accomplishments in tourney play approached what Izzo has done. Where I differ from most is that I look at tourney results as much more not in the control of the coach. Yes, the coach can make a slight difference by making adjustments in game, going to a different defense or making a substitution to take advantage of a mismatch. Overall however, in a one game scenario, how do you compensate for a guy like Stephon Curry just having the best night of his career or your best player suddenly missing on shots that he normally makes? Sure you can tell him to pass up more contested looks or work the ball to him in better positions, or you can try to force the "on fire" guy to take different looks by double teaming, but any of those changes will likely be foiled by a good coach on the other side.

What a coach has more control of is how well the team is prepared over the long course of the season. Is the team ready to take every challenge over the course of the regular season and survive? Even when the Badgers have faced extreme adversity, losing 6 straight B10 games in '09 or having 2 players suspended for academics in '06, his teams have rebounded to finish the reg. season in no worse than a tie for 4th. I don't believe they have been picked preseason to finish in first more than once and they are almost always within a game or two of the title.

Would I and many other Bucky supporters like to see more postseason success? Absolutely! But that will be the case for all fans except the team that wins it all. What we can count on, always getting there and getting past the first round is better than almost all teams in the country however.

The original list was looking at coaches accomplishments and where they are poised to be for the next 5 years so that is why Calhoun is listed so low. Also why Izzo is rated above coach K.

Yes GW, you and those fans that you mentioned are perfect. No mather what life throws at you, you are always victorious. Any Tweets from your friend Crean lately. Maybe he can recruit you to cheer for IU since you are such a good fan.

Go Gophers

Why do "Bucky supporters" post here?

Would I and many other Bucky supporters like to see more postseason success? Absolutely!
I would never dream of posting on a Wisky board or even reading it. Am I off? Are there a lot of Gopher posters on other B1G fan sites?

Would I and many other Bucky supporters like to see more postseason success? Absolutely!
I would never dream of posting on a Wisky board or even reading it. Am I off? Are there a lot of Gopher posters on other B1G fan sites?

I have got to say that Obobo and Ole are very knowledgeable and are respectful posters that really love college hoops. I read this board almost daily. I think this thread has been a fairly good exchange of thoughts. It does not need to be hateful. Its a game we all love, let the tourists fight it out.

2007-2 seed, lost to 7 seed UNLV in R32 (Brian Butch injured and out for tourney)

So only once in this time period were the Badgers given a seed that even would suggest they should reach the E8 with a 2 seed in 2007

The seed doesn't tell you how far you go. You said yourself that 26 teams seeded 4 or lower have reached the F4 since '85, so a team with a 5 seed or lower makes the F4 about once every year.

Why do lower seeds make it? The top seeds in the region either don't play to their potential/have a bad game that costs them, or don't have the talent that teams at that level typically have. Bo Ryan has had chances in those types of regions with many fairly good seeds and failed to advance. Typically the teams that make the F4 have NBA talent, and it is rare for a team to make it without at least one first round pick (or a player who turns out to be a solid NBA player) - the teams that have made it once without one don't do it again anytime soon.

Like it or not the NCAA tournament is the most important part of the college basketball season, and making the F4 is a big accomplishment. I think you've got to have F4s and NCs if you want to be considered better than other coaches who have those accomplishments. Talent may be what is separating Bo from those other coaches in the tournament, but there's no excuse for doing less with less. If you have less success than other coaches in the most important part of the sport, you deserve to be considered a lesser coach, and that's the bottom line in my opinion.

The seed doesn't tell you how far you go. You said yourself that 26 teams seeded 4 or lower have reached the F4 since '85, so a team with a 5 seed or lower makes the F4 about once every year.

Why do lower seeds make it? The top seeds in the region either don't play to their potential/have a bad game that costs them, or don't have the talent that teams at that level typically have. Bo Ryan has had chances in those types of regions with many fairly good seeds and failed to advance. Typically the teams that make the F4 have NBA talent, and it is rare for a team to make it without at least one first round pick (or a player who turns out to be a solid NBA player) - the teams that have made it once without one don't do it again anytime soon.

Like it or not the NCAA tournament is the most important part of the college basketball season, and making the F4 is a big accomplishment. I think you've got to have F4s and NCs if you want to be considered better than other coaches who have those accomplishments. Talent may be what is separating Bo from those other coaches in the tournament, but there's no excuse for doing less with less. If you have less success than other coaches in the most important part of the sport, you deserve to be considered a lesser coach, and that's the bottom line in my opinion.

I don't know of any Wisconsin fans that think rating Izzo higher than Bo is unfair, and most agree that the NCAA tourney is indeed a large part of the litmus test for successful coaches.
Luck of the draw, injuries and skill level are all part of the game. Larger population centers also provide a huge advantage for any coach. Tradition is another factor. Wisconsin BB history is not much prior to the mid 90's. Bo's record in the NCAA is not bad at all. 3 S16's in the past 5 seasons is better than most. It would be wrong to forget about his whole career in Div 3 as well, but that is just part of the resume.
That said. If I had to win one game head to head. I would take Bo over Izzo or Thad, however anyone of these guys would be great.

Here is my take on the same period. We come to different conclusions. Bo came off even less successful than I thought he would. I bolded all the times he got lucky and faced low seeds past the first round.

• 2001-02 8 seed. Defeats #9 St. John’s, loses to #1 Maryland.
• 2002-03 5 Seed. Defeats #12 Weber State, Defeats #13 Tulsa. Loses to #1 Kentucky
• 2003-04 6 seed. Beats #11 Richmond, loses to #3 Pittsburgh
• 2004-05 6 seed. Beats #11 Northern Iowa, beats #14 Bucknell, beats #10 NC State, loses to #1 North Carolina
• 2005-06 9 seed. Loses to #8 Arizona
• 2006-07 2 seed. Beat #15 Texas A&M CC, loses to #7 UNLV
• 2007-08 3 seed. Beat #14 Cal State Fullerton, beat #11 Kansas State. Lost to #10 Davidson
• 2008-09 12 seed. Beat #5 Florida State. Lost #4 Xavier
• 2009-10 4 seed. Beat #13 Wofford. Lost to #12 Cornell
• 2010-11 4 seed. Beat #13 Belmont. Beat #5 Kansas State. Lost to #8 Butler.
• 2011-12 4 Seed. Beat #13 Montana. Beat #5 Vanderbilt, Lost to #1 Syracuse.

Only one time has Bo beaten a higher-seeded team in the NCAA tournament, first round 2008-09 vs. FSU. Four times Bo has lost to a lower seed (2006-07 UNLV, 2007-08 Davidson, 2009-10 Cornell, 2010-11 Butler).

Of the five times he has been to the Sweet 16, three times they have played a double digit seed in the second round (also they lost to double digit seed Cornell in the second round in 2009-10). In their five visits to the round of sixteen, where Bo is 1-4, they have played a one seed two times, an eight seed once, and a ten seed twice. The only one of these games they won was against 10 seed NC State in 2004-05.

Wisconsin has had a good run under Bo but that is one lousy tournament record- even though they have regularly been the recipient of good luck by playing teams that have upset higher seeds.

Top Bottom