Myron Tweet: Tubby Smith's reaction to Royce White's YouTube video

BleedGopher

Reaction score
From Myron:

GophersBBGuy Tubby Smith's reaction to Royce White's YouTube video: "He's frustrated. ... I hope he doesn't get too frustrated."

Go Gophers!!

I'm sure they are both frustrated, but my guess is that Tubby is referring to Royce being frustrated.

the white population reaction to Royce is epic, Seeing a outspoken black athlete still makes plenty of people uncomfortable.

the white population reaction to Royce is epic, Seeing a outspoken black athlete still makes plenty of people uncomfortable.

Could you please clarify this comment? What is the white population saying? And are you taking that from this board, as we don't know the race behind most monikers.

Gopher lady stop being blind, look at every comment on youtube and every strib or piopress story user comment. Everything is thug, or gangster, etc. Also look at the media. His name has been dragged through the mud on speculation without any regard for the fact that he is an 18 year old college student. If he was a white kid who was charged with a misdemeanor the media would not be publishing stories based on speculation they would wait for facts. Minnesota has not had too many outspoken black athletes in the past, so now that this is happening the media and public are showing their true colors

I will say that Royce has a worse rap than the Hopkins bank robber. Justified?

Gopher lady stop being blind, look at every comment on youtube and every strib or piopress story user comment. Everything is thug, or gangster, etc. Also look at the media. His name has been dragged through the mud on speculation without any regard for the fact that he is an 18 year old college student. If he was a white kid who was charged with a misdemeanor the media would not be publishing stories based on speculation they would wait for facts. Minnesota has not had too many outspoken black athletes in the past, so now that this is happening the media and public are showing their true colors

Quite honestly, I don't ever read all of those comments. Those blogs are not monitored (they simply don't have time to monitor them) - so they are always inappropriate. Also, how do you know that the people posting are white? I have read the comments for his video, and quite honestly - I am not making out the race from a lot of them, but more of an age group. A lot of people sound like immature teenagers.

Are you kidding me? Did you not just see the media going with the Nate Tow-Arnett and Sam Maresh stories earlier this year? They are both white, and to my knowledge, had less facts than an actual surveillance tape. I don't think either of them were even charged, and it made the news.

As for the black vs. white issue - what about Trevor Mbakwe? Do you see him being a called a thug or a gangster? Has his name been drug through the mud? And he's being charged with a felony, and might I add, he's black as well.

Quite honestly, I don't ever read all of those comments. Those blogs are not monitored (they simply don't have time to monitor them) - so they are always inappropriate. Also, how do you know that the people posting are white? I have read the comments for his video, and quite honestly - I am not making out the race from a lot of them, but more of an age group. A lot of people sound like immature teenagers.

No sorry they are not teenagers. Stop living in a fantasy world, they are 30-40 year olds who are slightly racist

Are you kidding me? Did you not just see the media going with the Nate Tow-Arnett and Sam Maresh stories earlier this year? They are both white, and to my knowledge, had less facts than an actual surveillance tape. I don't think either of them were even charged, and it made the news.

Weird that they went away quickly. Has Royce been charged in the laptob incident? Nope but it comes up with EVERY gopher story. Also they were reported as alleged with Nate and Sam (also go back and look at those stories no THUG or GANGSTER comments), with royce it was reported way more as fact.

As for the black vs. white issue - what about Trevor Mbakwe? Do you see him being a called a thug or a gangster? Has his name been drug through the mud? And he's being charged with a felony, and might I add, he's black as well.

Trevor is a much more quiet kid. Royce went out and won the state title with Tattoos and a crazy hair cuts. This may sound like a generalization but old white people can't stand tattoos and outspoken players. LOOK AT THE NBA. Stop being so sheltered.

Trevor is a much more quiet kid. Royce went out and won the state title with Tattoos and a crazy hair cuts. This may sound like a generalization but old white people can't stand tattoos and outspoken players. LOOK AT THE NBA. Stop being so sheltered.

You keep on mentioning his haircuts and tattoos. I don't see that included anywhere in the definition for outspoken, nor is there any correlation. I'm outspoken, I don't have tattoos or crazy hair (except in the morning, that his)

1 : direct and open in speech or expression
2 : spoken or expressed without reserve

Looks like you're the only one generalizing/stereotyping. You have made zero points, nor have you responded to my post except to call me sheltered and say Trevor is quiet (because I'm sure you know him very well).

Maybe the next time you scream "racism" you should have some substance/examples to back it up.

Why has Royce gotten more negative attention than the Hopkins bank robber?

Why has Royce gotten more negative attention than the Hopkins bank robber?

I am guessing you are talking about Anthony Diloreto? Well, off the top of my head here are a couple of reasons.

1. Royce was Mr. Basketball.
2. Royce is a much better basketball player with much more potential.
3. Last year, when the robbery occurred, there was a lot of negative attention on Diloreto.
4. He was never going to play for the Gophers.
5. That was a very straightforward case with no speculation. He admitted to it right away. In Royce's situation, it is not as clear what happened.

And Brew_recruit, you are throwing around ridiculous accusations with little basis in reality.

Hey...

You were correct on one thing, "This may sound like a generalization..."

Why bring race into this? Everyone was excited to see the hometown player make it big at the U and possibly into the NBA. Unfortunately, he has gotten into trouble in high school and now seems to be getting into trouble in college. We just hate to see someone with just great potential throw it all away.

He has not yet reached his goals, the world is full of "could-have beens",

You don't get paid for what you could do, only for what you have done.

Don't let the "thug, etc.." comments from nameless posters get you down. Royce can't let the off-court distractions destroy his future (many he seems to have caused himself). All those so-called "haters" that he worries about will all disappear once he gets back on the court, stays out of trouble and focuses on his future.

This may sound like a generalization but old white people can't stand tattoos and outspoken players.

Hmm ... young black man with tattoos judged critically because of preconceptions by some people. Also, white people who are old judged critically because of preconceptions by you. I'm an old white guy, and I think having more than a small tattoo on your body is ridiculous. I think that whenever I see Allan Iverson, who is black, or Chris Anderson, who is white, playing basketball. On the other hand, I like both players and enjoy watching them play basketball. Even though Iverson is outspoken, he's been one of my favorite players over the years so faulty perceptions about different races is a two-way street.

Even though I'm an old white guy I have seen racism in some of the reactions to Royce White. I don't see it on GopherHole, but I did see it on the Pioneer Press website in their comments section on a story about White. It was disgusting, but I don't think you can blame White's situation on racism. He put himself where he is through his actions; nobody else has. Giving him racism as an excuse against changing his behavior is really doing a disservice to him.

Even though I'm an old white guy I have seen racism in some of the reactions to Royce White. I don't see it on GopherHole, but I did see it on the Pioneer Press website in their comments section on a story about White. It was disgusting, but I don't think you can blame White's situation on racism. He put himself where he is through his actions; nobody else has. Giving him racism as an excuse against changing his behavior is really doing a disservice to him.[/QUOTE]

THAT IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING.

Royce has messed up, but he is being buried by the media and by the public because he is an outspoken black male with tattoos. I want everyone who thinks that there isn't racism to look at all the comments on any gopher story. JUST LOOK.

My first reaction to your post was, "You've got to be kidding me!" But I remember you're other lame posts, so it does not surprise me. Someday it really will be great when Martin Luther King's dream of judging people by the content of their character instead of the color of their skin comes to fruition. Sadly, there are still so many who have to play the victimized race card even when unwarranted.:mad:

By always playing this card, you completely cheapen it, because when there actually is real racism, it loses its impact because the word has been used so often, it's lost it's impact. Read the story: "The boy who cried wolf."

ANY (black, white, purple, polka-dot) 5 star recruit that had come to the Gophers and was arrested for robbery and assault would have been huge news. Imagine transporting Kevin McHale 35 years into the future to today, assume he was a 5-star recruit out of Hibbing. Heck yea, it would have also been a HUGE story. Good grief.:rolleyes:

Even though I'm an old white guy I have seen racism in some of the reactions to Royce White. I don't see it on GopherHole, but I did see it on the Pioneer Press website in their comments section on a story about White. It was disgusting, but I don't think you can blame White's situation on racism. He put himself where he is through his actions; nobody else has. Giving him racism as an excuse against changing his behavior is really doing a disservice to him.

THAT IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING.

Royce has messed up, but he is being buried by the media and by the public because he is an outspoken black male with tattoos. I want everyone who thinks that there isn't racism to look at all the comments on any gopher story. JUST LOOK.[/QUOTE]

royce is being buried by the media because he has a long line of issues, and he just asked for more attention with this whole video nonsense. if doesn't matter if he was white, blue or purple, people would not tolerate his crap if he wasn't this talented. that has NOTHING to do with color. you seem to be the only one obsessed with his tatooos. and how on earth is he so outspoken? he hasn't said a word (thank god), and he just made a video to music with his buddies. thank god he's not as outspoken as you, because you sound ridiculous.

look at yourself, you're the one making the most generalizations/stereotypes. JUST LOOK.

Is it about the tattoos and crazy hair or his skin color? How do people view Chris Anderson? He's white. Royce is not being held down by white society. RW's biggest problems have been because of his choices to cheat and steal and not his hair and tats.

Gloved...

Is it about the tattoos and crazy hair or his skin color? How do people view Chris Anderson? He's white. Royce is not being held down by white society. RW's biggest problems have been because of his choices to cheat and steal and not his hair and tats.

+1
:clap::clap::clap:

Top Bottom