Myron tweet: Devoe expected to rejoin Gophs for Virginia game

BleedGopher

Reaction score
"Source: Devoe Joseph expected to re-join the Gophers for Monday's Big Ten/ACC Challenge game against Virginia."

Go Gophers!!

Good news. Hope he's ready to contribute!

Wow, great to hear. Hopefully he comes back chomping at the bit

The only thing this team's missing is a go-to-guy who carry the scoring load for stretches & a back-up PG. Know anyone know a player who can fill both roles? :)

"Source: Devoe Joseph expected to re-join the Gophers for Monday's Big Ten/ACC Challenge game against Virginia."

Great news if it's true.

He'll need a couple of games to get back in the flow. Better to start now.

Great news if it's true.

He'll need a couple of games to get back in the flow. Better to start now.

Agree. Having said that, the sooner we get him back into the fold the better. :clap:

Say what we want, but Devoe is gonna have to earn his playing time back in practice and off court. We all want him back, agreed, but he is gonna have to earn it. Tubby will call the shots.

The only thing this team's missing is a go-to-guy who carry the scoring load for stretches & a back-up PG. Know anyone know a player who can fill both roles? :)

He will help a lot. I like this team, but I can't lie: if we could swap Chip, Otto and Mav for a well-behaved Royce, Carter and C. Joseph that probably wouldn't suck. Anyway, that's the team that could-have-been but never was and it's time to enjoy the team that is.

Where do you think he gets plugged back in? My initial thought is that he'll at first take minutes away from Ahanmisi/Armelin. I would think he'll be apart of the 2nd line and Ahanmisi and Armelin are the most obvious person to have their minutes reduced.

Wow this is great news! I definitely expected Devoe back at some point, but in the back of your mind its hard not to fear the doomsday scenario where he quits school or transfers.

I can't wait to see this lineup:

Al
Devoe
Blake
Mbakwe
Ralph/Colton

Imagine our bigs with two legit outside shooting threats and Al distributing...(salivating...)

I'm guessing once B10 season starts we don't see Mav anymore. Devoe will take some of those extra minutes Nolen and Hoff have been logging. Hollins will still split time with Rodney and Chip should still see about 6 mns at the SG spot but the remaining 74 will get split between Nolen, Hoff and Devoe and you may see those three on the court together to end games with Nolen guarding the best wing scorer.

Agree with OleBoy. Once Devoe gets back, Mav is the guy that clearly looks a little overmatched and we won't see much of him. We'll have quite a few different & versatile lineups that we can throw at the opponent, without the big drop-off that we have now when we go from Al to Mav.

i like having Chip as a spark plug off the bench. How much PT will he lose with the return of Devoe?

Looking forward to getting Devoe back... hoping to have him playing within the system, dont get me wrong i think he is the best go-to scorer the gophs have, I am just worried he might try to do a little bit too much himself, especially being anxious after sitting out.

I'm just nervous that he might force it a little bit early... but i fully expect him to be in peak form and an invaluable contributer come big-ten time!

The way Chip has been playing, it's hard for me to imagine his PT disappearing. He looks like he belongs and could even be a key contributor. I think you'll definitely see Hoff and Nolen's minutes come down by 5-10 minutes each and Mav likely won't see the floor. Might see Rodney's minutes drop a bit too.

Looking forward to getting Devoe back... hoping to have him playing within the system, dont get me wrong i think he is the best go-to scorer the gophs have, I am just worried he might try to do a little bit too much himself, especially being anxious after sitting out.

I'm just nervous that he might force it a little bit early... but i fully expect him to be in peak form and an invaluable contributer come big-ten time!

I don't think we'll have any problem with Devoe fitting within the system. The last couple of years its been more of a struggle offensively and he was called upon to create more offense when the team stalled. Sometimes it worked, other times it looked like he was forcing it. This year's team has much more around him, so I don't think the onus with be completely on him.

The guys are playing within themselves and taking what is given. Things are going pretty good on offense. I hope that Joseph will blend in and not attempt to "carry" the team. I thought there were times last year when he was trying to outdo Westbrook.

I don't think we'll have any problem with Devoe fitting within the system. The last couple of years its been more of a struggle offensively and he was called upon to create more offense when the team stalled. Sometimes it worked, other times it looked like he was forcing it. This year's team has much more around him, so I don't think the onus with be completely on him.

It's not just last year i'm talking about, I just think Devoe might be anxious to get out there and for some reason will think he has to go out and prove himself to his teammates and the fans that he is the guy that is going to carry the team that everybody saw play so good.
When right now we just need another guy who can hit some shots...

Assume Devoe will get 20 minutes per game.

Mav, Rodney, Chip, Hollins, and even Nolen will have reduced minutes. Reducing Nolen to 28 to 30 might not be a bad thing to keep him fresh. Nolen can't maintain his minutes average in PR for the rest of the year.

One thing that is a good problem to have: dividing minutes between competent players.

Another thing I know is 2 of our 4 bigs should be on the floor (Trevor, Ralph, Iverson, and Mo) together. Our competitive advantage is our size.

I'm thinking Maverick will lightly play against the softer non-conference teams and only get scrub minutes in Big Ten play.

I think Chip and Hollins will now be competing for minutes off the bench...with Tubby having to decide if he wants to go smaller or not. I could see Al coming out, Devoe sliding to the point, Blake staying on and then either Chip or Hollins fills in.

I really like what I see from Chip so far so I hope he still has a niche on this team. Either way, like someone said-- good problem to have-- dividing minutes between competent players.

Assume Devoe will get 20 minutes per game.

Mav, Rodney, Chip, Hollins, and even Nolen will have reduced minutes. Reducing Nolen to 28 to 30 might not be a bad thing to keep him fresh. Nolen can't maintain his minutes average in PR for the rest of the year.

One thing that is a good problem to have: dividing minutes between competent players.

Another thing I know is 2 of our 4 bigs should be on the floor (Trevor, Ralph, Iverson, and Mo) together. Our competitive advantage is our size.

Devoe will get more than 20 minutes a game once the big ten starts. Mav, Chip, Walker, Williams and Hollins time on the court will depend on who steps up at game time, one game to the next.

Agree with OleBoy. Once Devoe gets back, Mav is the guy that clearly looks a little overmatched and we won't see much of him. We'll have quite a few different & versatile lineups that we can throw at the opponent, without the big drop-off that we have now when we go from Al to Mav.

SS, I really respect your input and I agree with your reasoning, BUT this poor kid doesn't seem to be worth much to the vast majority of the posters on this board. This is not a putdown of your contributions which, by the way, I almost always appreciate. If he reads these posts, I wouldn't be surprised if he is getting the same impression that I am: "he's no good and we don't want him here".

Evidently Tubby sees something in him that the fans just don't appreciate yet. I think that he can make a contribution and, in fact, already has. I noticed that I no longer get anxious when he gets the ball, for fear he'll turn it over and he seems to fit into the flow of the team on the floor.

Has he earned significant time? Not IMO.
Does he have 5* upside? Can't detect it.
Is Tubby willing to help him develope? Looks like it.

Maybe we should just accept that he'll be part of this school until Tubby decides no.

SS, I really respect your input and I agree with your reasoning, BUT this poor kid doesn't seem to be worth much to the vast majority of the posters on this board. This is not a putdown of your contributions which, by the way, I almost always appreciate. If he reads these posts, I wouldn't be surprised if he is getting the same impression that I am: "he's no good and we don't want him here".

Evidently Tubby sees something in him that the fans just don't appreciate yet. I think that he can make a contribution and, in fact, already has. I noticed that I no longer get anxious when he gets the ball, for fear he'll turn it over and he seems to fit into the flow of the team on the floor.

Has he earned significant time? Not IMO.
Does he have 5* upside? Can't detect it.
Is Tubby willing to help him develope? Looks like it.

Maybe we should just accept that he'll be part of this school until Tubby decides no.

I have to say that you've made one good point. I don't think any player should be above criticism. They've chosen to get a free education by putting themselves in the public eye. But I'll admit, I've probably been over the top in my criticism of Mav at times. He's still a Gopher, he seems like a nice young man, and I know Tubby has been impressed with him at times. I haven't seen much to allow me to share his optimism, but who knows. Damian Johnson looked horrible as a freshman, and really developed into one of my all time favorite players, and I would have never thought Aaron Robinson or Brent Lawson would ever do anything for this team. Let's hope Maverick manages to put together similar growth.

Point taken, but I never said Maverick wasn't any good, nor was I "asking for his scholarship." I said he appears overmatched. There's a difference. Looking overmatched happens to freshmen quite a bit, some moreso than others.

I should have been more clear. Being overmatched now doesn't necessarily mean being overmatched a year or two down the road.

I am shocked at the criticism of Mav. Let's not forget that he is playing one of the hardest positions for any freshman regardless of the number of stars after your name. He's had to learn an entirely new offense, and while he has made a few mistakes, for the most part he has performed admirably for a freshman. I don't know if he will develop into a starter, but I think he will be a solid backup PG by this time next year.

SS did no trashing of Mav in his post. He merely observed what anyone who watches this team knows. When Al steps out of the game, we drop off considerably at the point.

The coach is the coach and has Mav here for a reason, but it is not to contribute significantly in high pressure situations this year. It is not at all unusual for a freshman to get light minutes and it is not an insult to him. (I can hardly say it, but look at WI who is famous for having guys that get almost no minutes contribute the next year.) Not all players are stars, and I expect Mav got the same message everyone else did: We are glad to have you here and you will have a chance to earn playing time with the rest. Mav has four years to develop his talents, and I expect Tubby will get as much out of him as possible. It will not be a surprise or an insult to him if his playing time is limited when the pressure portion of the schedule begins.

Classy responses.

Thanks. :)

I've wanted to do that rant since the digs at Mav started in evaluation of his HP play. Now I just hope that he validates expectations with his play in the next 4 years.

Classy responses.

Thanks. :)

I've wanted to do that rant since the digs at Mav started in evaluation of his HP play. Now I just hope that he validates expectations with his play in the next 4 years.

One more response: Tubby wants him on the team. That's the only opinion that matters. Even if he never plays another minute, he'll have added lots of value in practice and added intangibles to that construct called a team. None of us see that side of things.

When you accept a scholarship that others are paying for, you accept the fact that your play will be evaluated and criticized. I've seen plenty of times on this board where the criticism is over the top, and it gets beyond play into personal stuff and "he is a waste of a scholarship." To me, that's out of line, but an athlete has to understand that stuff will happen and take it as a reflection on the writer rather than himself.

He needs to do the best he can. If he does, then while I hope he becomes All-America, no matter what happens, he's a Golden Gopher and I appreciate whatever contributions he makes.

the bigs

Against W Virginia we had colt and Walker playing together and I think it's a bad combination. Neither one is quick enough to guard decent power forwards, some of which can shoot the three. I would prefer for Sampson to play with Walker as Sampson outside shot and Walker's physical pressence compliment eachother.

Against W Virginia we had colt and Walker playing together and I think it's a bad combination. Neither one is quick enough to guard decent power forwards, some of which can shoot the three. I would prefer for Sampson to play with Walker as Sampson outside shot and Walker's physical pressence compliment eachother.

Game situations don't always allow you to play the best combinations. IIRC Ralph had 4 fouls and if Trevor needed a breather, it pretty much had to be the Colt & MO Show.

Now if MO could make those steals and drive the length of the court for - in his case a layup - we might have the makings of a dynamic duo or a thunderous twosome. :)

Top Bottom