Myron: Mbakwe destroys Iverson and RS3 every day; Royce best player on floor last wk

Well let's be glad that the amount of first round NBA talent teams produce probably won't be the sole factor in his decision.

I hear you, granted some of the MN NBA's were not close to superstars, even starters, but the NBA is not just made up of UCONN or TX either.

only a fool would compare our program over the last 15 years to uconn or texas.

Was never comparing.

I have never seen Cory play. Everything does suggest he is that good. Question then, can a great high school player be assured he will play the same minutes on a (currently year over year) highly ranked college? Or would he get more minutes per game in Minnesota? We know Smith likes to substitute, but doesn't he also give greater minutes to those that keep up intense defense? Last question, would Joseph play the kind of defense Tubby would want? I am not suggesting Tubby doesn't want him, that would be crazy. Let's just say he didn't enjoy playing intense defense, would he get minutes? And I am just curious, I don't know these answers. Some of you may know better the answers.

Was never comparing.

I have never seen Cory play. Everything does suggest he is that good. Question then, can a great high school player be assured he will play the same minutes on a (currently year over year) highly ranked college? Or would he get more minutes per game in Minnesota? We know Smith likes to substitute, but doesn't he also give greater minutes to those that keep up intense defense? Last question, would Joseph play the kind of defense Tubby would want? I am not suggesting Tubby doesn't want him, that would be crazy. Let's just say he didn't enjoy playing intense defense, would he get minutes? And I am just curious, I don't know these answers. Some of you may know better the answers.

Cory is known as a great defender and would fit in very well in Minnesota.

I should also add GopherWarrior, in all due respect, I seriously doubt Joseph is seeing this thread. His name isn't even in the title, even if he were to be checking in. I don't read all the threads, why would he, though he might happen to peer in and look for his name in a thread title occasionally, but he is trying to decide on three schools, maybe 5, and he needs to play BB as well. And I like this board, don't anyone get me wrong, I really do. But really doubt that Cory has time to keep his eye on hundreds if not thousands of posts on three or more college hoops boards and is going to make his college choice from comments made on this board.

I am a little slow, and only now thought of this comment, so I apologize to all the quicker thinkers. But as to the title to this thread, Mbakwe and White destroying Iverson and RS, please, think about what u are saying. We who follow the Gophers see the games, no one is destroying those two in real time action, though they are not superstars. Sure they are not (yet) the best big men in the big ten, but they to some degree hold there own. If Mbakwe and Royce were that good in practice, then according to Gopher warrior they should have picked UCONN or TX to play for, why would those two have picked lowly MN?

Division I Schools Ranked by Number of Players in NBA (as of 2009-2010 opening day rosters)
No. Players
School In NBA
Duke 14
UCLA 14
Connecticut 13
North Carolina 13
Arizona 10
Florida 9
Kansas 9
Kentucky 9
Georgia Tech 7
Ohio St. 7
Texas 7
LSU 6
Memphis 6
Michigan St. 6
Syracuse 6
Wake Forest 6
California 5
Southern Cal 5
Villanova 5
Arizona St. 4
Arkansas 4
DePaul 4
Georgetown 4
Marquette 4
Oklahoma St. 4
Pittsburgh 4
Stanford 4
UNLV 4
Washington 4
Wisconsin 4
Alabama 3
Boston College 3
Gonzaga 3
Illinois 3
Indiana 3
Iowa 3
Louisville 3
Maryland 3
Missouri 3
New Mexico 3
Notre Dame 3
Oklahoma 3
Oregon 3
Purdue 3
Saint Joseph's 3
Texas A&M 3
Xavier 3
Bradley 2
Cincinnati 2
Florida Int. 2
Florida St. 2
Fresno St. 2
Georgia 2
Kansas St. 2
Miami-FL 2
Michigan 2
Minnesota 2
Nevada 2
N. C. St. 2
Rhode Island 2
South Florida 2
Tennessee 2
Utah 2
Auburn 1
Austin Peay 1
Baylor 1
Boise St. 1
Central Michigan 1
Colgate 1
Colorado 1
Colorado St. 1
Col. Charleston 1
Creighton 1
CS Fullerton 1
Davidson 1
Detroit 1
Duquesne 1
Eastern Wash. 1
Florida A&M 1
George Washington 1
Hawaii 1
Hofstra 1
IUPUI 1
Jackson St. 1
La Salle 1
Louisiana Tech 1
Massachusetts 1
Mississippi St. 1
Murray St. 1
Nebraska 1
Northeastern 1
Northwestern St. 1
Pepperdine 1
Providence 1
Rider 1
Rutgers 1
Saint Louis 1
Santa Clara 1
Seton Hall 1
SMU 1
South Carolina 1
St. John's 1
St. Mary's 1
TCU 1
Temple 1
Tennessee-Martin 1
Texas St. 1
Texas Tech 1
Texas-San Ant. 1
Tulane 1
UALR 1
UCF 1
Utah Valley 1
Vanderbilt 1
Va. Commonwealth 1
Virginia 1
Washington St. 1
West Virginia 1
Western Carolina 1
Western Kentucky 1
Wyoming 1
Total Division I 342
Non-Division I 3
High School 30
Foreign 59
Total NBA 434

We got who - Joel and Kris? Bobby J retired, correct?

That is pretty weak. But if you look at the talent through here the past 10 years its very understandable...

We got who - Joel and Kris? Bobby J retired, correct?

That is pretty weak. But if you look at the talent through here the past 10 years its very understandable...

Doesn't surprise me that Trevor is taking it to both Ralph and Iverson.

2011-12 Final Four: Cory, Devoe, Royce, Trevor, Ralph. :)

+1 I don't think it would surprise anyone who has seen Mbakwe play. He is quicker and smoother around the basket than Ralph or Coulton. He is an experienced player who would have given the team just what it needed ; a true power forward.

Division I Schools Ranked by Number of Players in NBA (as of 2009-2010 opening day rosters)
No. Players
School In NBA
Duke 14
UCLA 14
Connecticut 13
North Carolina 13
Arizona 10
Florida 9
Kansas 9
Kentucky 9
Georgia Tech 7
Ohio St. 7
Texas 7
LSU 6
Memphis 6
Michigan St. 6
Syracuse 6
Wake Forest 6
California 5
Southern Cal 5
Villanova 5
Arizona St. 4
Arkansas 4
DePaul 4
Georgetown 4
Marquette 4
Oklahoma St. 4
Pittsburgh 4
Stanford 4
UNLV 4
Washington 4
Wisconsin 4
Alabama 3
Boston College 3
Gonzaga 3
Illinois 3
Indiana 3
Iowa 3
Louisville 3
Maryland 3
Missouri 3
New Mexico 3
Notre Dame 3
Oklahoma 3
Oregon 3
Purdue 3
Saint Joseph's 3
Texas A&M 3
Xavier 3
Bradley 2
Cincinnati 2
Florida Int. 2
Florida St. 2
Fresno St. 2
Georgia 2
Kansas St. 2
Miami-FL 2
Michigan 2
Minnesota 2
Nevada 2
N. C. St. 2
Rhode Island 2
South Florida 2
Tennessee 2
Utah 2
Auburn 1
Austin Peay 1
Baylor 1
Boise St. 1
Central Michigan 1
Colgate 1
Colorado 1
Colorado St. 1
Col. Charleston 1
Creighton 1
CS Fullerton 1
Davidson 1
Detroit 1
Duquesne 1
Eastern Wash. 1
Florida A&M 1
George Washington 1
Hawaii 1
Hofstra 1
IUPUI 1
Jackson St. 1
La Salle 1
Louisiana Tech 1
Massachusetts 1
Mississippi St. 1
Murray St. 1
Nebraska 1
Northeastern 1
Northwestern St. 1
Pepperdine 1
Providence 1
Rider 1
Rutgers 1
Saint Louis 1
Santa Clara 1
Seton Hall 1
SMU 1
South Carolina 1
St. John's 1
St. Mary's 1
TCU 1
Temple 1
Tennessee-Martin 1
Texas St. 1
Texas Tech 1
Texas-San Ant. 1
Tulane 1
UALR 1
UCF 1
Utah Valley 1
Vanderbilt 1
Va. Commonwealth 1
Virginia 1
Washington St. 1
West Virginia 1
Western Carolina 1
Western Kentucky 1
Wyoming 1
Total Division I 342
Non-Division I 3
High School 30
Foreign 59
Total NBA 434

Virginia Union (Division II): 1 Ben Wallace. VUU was tied with Minnesota for awhile when Charles Oakley was in the League.

The NCAA sanctions against us turned our program backwards for the last 10 + years.

Coach Smith has definitely brought us an upgrade in talent. This years team although not great, it is what it is, but look at the future. It doesn't happen with a snap of the fingers .

Can't wait to see what the team will be like with Tubby 4 to 5 years at the helm.

Crapshoot

Lot of Dukies suck when they get to the pros if they get there... doesnt stop players from going there...

Look at UNC the last few years

Marvin Williams- O.k. at best. Atl took him just ahead of Chris Paul and D. Williams
Felton- below avg
May- bust
Mccants- playing at Lifetime Fitness
Brandon Wright- Is he playing?

If your good the pros will find you.... for gosh sakes Bob Martin and Trevor Winter spent a year each on a NBA roster and combined their caree scoring avg was less then 5.0ppg.

On Cory Joseph:

"I will address Cory Joseph because he's such an important player for the team's future. But I won't take a million questions about him. I think he wants to play with his brother in college, but they played together throughout high school. I think Devoe Joseph will be the starting shooting guard next year, so he'd certainly have a chance to join him. But Cory Joseph ... like every other top prep in America ... wants to play in the NBA. That's what he's thinking about. That's what kids think about. What school will help me get to the next level? So my gut says the Gophers don't have the style or prestige to give him the best shot at the pros. UConn and Villanova would be better options for those purposes."
If you have true "star" potential, you could play for Davidson or DKV Joventut and the NBA scouts will find you. With marginal NBA talent, I personally think no college team in the last 25 years has ruined more possible NBA careers than Duke ... who has often buried ex-Mac'D All-Americans behind other ex-Mac'D All-Americans.

It is 100% believable that Royce White is the most "talented" player on the floor and Mbawke beats up on Sampson and Iverson. Lets start with Mbawke. He went to Marquette and played as a freshman but was hurt most of the year. It says a lot when a D1 program takes a guy who is hurt for 80% of the year and instead of red shirts him, lets him rehab just so they could have him for March Madness which he played in. Also, I cannot find the tribune article but at the start of the season it was NOT Rodney Williams with the best vertical on the team it was Mbawke. He came in at a 42in vertical! He plays extremely physical (something sampson doesnt do) and would hands down average 9-12 rebounds a game for the gohpers. His only knock is, they list him at 6'9 or so but he really only measures in at 6'6 and a half.

Royce White on the other hand from very good sources tell me he is the real deal. I was told by someone who works in the athletic staff that before the season started Tubby said Royce had a chance of being a 1 and done player for the NBA if he met his potential. He is extremely crafty and great feet in the post, yet can handle the ball, drive to the hoops with great success. Plus he is as strong as any junior or senior in the big ten as a freshman

It is 100% believable that Royce White is the most "talented" player on the floor and Mbawke beats up on Sampson and Iverson. Lets start with Mbawke. He went to Marquette and played as a freshman but was hurt most of the year. It says a lot when a D1 program takes a guy who is hurt for 80% of the year and instead of red shirts him, lets him rehab just so they could have him for March Madness which he played in.

First part - indeed, that's why there is no story here and the title of this thread is *yawn* material. But, I think you're confused a bit on Mbakwe. 'Marquette played the kid just so they could have him for March Madness which he played in' is a poor description of the circumstances and facts.

BTW - I believe Trevor played a grand total of 0 minutes in Marquette's first round stomping of Kentucky and 1 minute (in the first half) in the Warrior's 82-81 overtime loss to Stanford in the second round. So, yeah, I guess he "played in March Madness" if an appearance in one of two games for a few seconds counts as "played in".

BTW part 2 - Trevor's first appearance that season was on February 15.

First of all if Cory wants to be in the NBA Tubby Smith would be a great coach to help get him there... Tubby is one of the top 15 coaches in America... He hasn't sent many players to the NBA...If you look at Rondo however... a point guard... won a championship with the celtics...Tubby shaped him to be who he is in the NBA... I think the gophers with weapons like...White...Hoffarber...Nolan for steals....and D.Joseph...and with the emergence of Sampson could be a top 10 team as early as next year... C. Joseph i believe would be joining a team on the rise.

Top Bottom