Myron: Mbakwe destroys Iverson and RS3 every day; Royce best player on floor last wk

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Some interesting comments from Myron during his chat today:

On Trevor and Royce at practice:

"I've been told that Mbakwe destroys Sampson and Iverson every day. And on person told me that Royce White looked like "the best player on the floor" when he returned to practice last week."

On Bryant Allen:

"I think he might suit up. But I don't know how much he'll play. Tubby doesn't seem overly impressed with his potential to help the team."

On Al Nolen:

"A source told me earlier this week that the Gophers have not received any word about Nolen's appeal. But even if it's denied, the school can apply to two different panels within the NCAA. But I think his chances of returning are slim. I think Tubby is going to make sure he's on track academically before he ever sees the floor. He might get cleared to play. But I think Tubby will bench him until he's satisfied with his progress off the floor."

On Cory Joseph:

"I will address Cory Joseph because he's such an important player for the team's future. But I won't take a million questions about him. I think he wants to play with his brother in college, but they played together throughout high school. I think Devoe Joseph will be the starting shooting guard next year, so he'd certainly have a chance to join him. But Cory Joseph ... like every other top prep in America ... wants to play in the NBA. That's what he's thinking about. That's what kids think about. What school will help me get to the next level? So my gut says the Gophers don't have the style or prestige to give him the best shot at the pros. UConn and Villanova would be better options for those purposes."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/g...D8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUycaEacyUs

Go Gophers!!

I don't buy it

What goes on in the mind of 18 year olds is beyond me but....

I just don't buy the idea that playing hoops in the Big Ten and having Tubby Smith as your head coach is an NBA career-killer !!

As I recall, Clem's "team that never was" had 4 NBA #1 draft picks on it. As others have mentioned, Rondo wasn't kept from the NBA for having played for Tubby.

If Cory is going to play in the NBA, going to any of his "final five" schools isn't going to stop him.

The argument just does not wash with me.

I hate reading stuff like that about Royce and Trevor...Just makes this year all the more frustrating with what could've been with all those guys on the court together.

Not to mention he'd be playing a significant amount of minutes because of his ability. If he were to go to UCONN/Villanova/Texas, they wouldn't be able to guarantee him as much playing time as we can.

Thanks for the article. Slighty depressing and exciting at the same time.

I don't really understand this part... "I think he wants to play with his brother in college, but they played together throughout high school." Why "but"? Just seems oddly phrased to me.

On Trevor and Royce at practice:

"I've been told that Mbakwe destroys Sampson and Iverson every day. And on person told me that Royce White looked like "the best player on the floor" when he returned to practice last week."

On Bryant Allen:

"I think he might suit up. But I don't know how much he'll play. Tubby doesn't seem overly impressed with his potential to help the team."

On Al Nolen:

"A source told me earlier this week that the Gophers have not received any word about Nolen's appeal. But even if it's denied, the school can apply to two different panels within the NCAA. But I think his chances of returning are slim. I think Tubby is going to make sure he's on track academically before he ever sees the floor. He might get cleared to play. But I think Tubby will bench him until he's satisfied with his progress off the floor."

On Cory Joseph:

"I will address Cory Joseph because he's such an important player for the team's future. But I won't take a million questions about him. I think he wants to play with his brother in college, but they played together throughout high school. I think Devoe Joseph will be the starting shooting guard next year, so he'd certainly have a chance to join him. But Cory Joseph ... like every other top prep in America ... wants to play in the NBA. That's what he's thinking about. That's what kids think about. What school will help me get to the next level? So my gut says the Gophers don't have the style or prestige to give him the best shot at the pros. UConn and Villanova would be better options for those purposes."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/g...D8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUycaEacyUs

Go Gophers!!

Thanks for the article. Slighty depressing and exciting at the same time.

I don't really understand this part... "I think he wants to play with his brother in college, but they played together throughout high school." Why "but"? Just seems oddly phrased to me.

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe he means that he wants to play with him, but since he's already played with him in high school he might feel less inclined to play with him in college too and explore other options. I hope that's not the case though, I'm still confident with our chances. I would have to think his parents would want him to go to Minnesota which can't hurt our chances.

It"s just plain........

irresponsible on Myron's part. He thinks he knows things that he doesn't know.

Alot like Donald Rumsfeld :rolleyes:

irresponsible on Myron's part. He thinks he knows things that he doesn't know.

Alot like Donald Rumsfeld :rolleyes:

I bet Donald Rumsfeld knows how to correctly spell "a lot". Myron is just babbling and adding filler. But, it's a chat - so, good for him. We have an outside shot of getting Cory, that's it.

And Trevor schooling Ralph and Colton - wow, amazing. Who woulda thunk? I'd like to see DJ guarding Mbakwe and hearing the same thing.

If you're an NBA talent, of course you can make it to the league through Minnesota. But, there are a ton of kids who are put off by the idea of playing guard in a grinding Big 10 game that ends up with a final score of 55-52. Kids want to run and 'showcase their skillz'.

On Cory Joseph:

" But Cory Joseph ... like every other top prep in America ... wants to play in the NBA. That's what he's thinking about. That's what kids think about. What school will help me get to the next level? So my gut says the Gophers don't have the style or prestige to give him the best shot at the pros. UConn and Villanova would be better options for those purposes."

Go Gophers!!

Those programs really sell the propaganda don't they. It won't make any difference in playing in the NBA. It they are good enough they will make it and if the aren't they won't. The school isn't going to matter. I actually think the focus on defense would help him at Minnesota.

Devean George

I think your so wrong as I believe the Gophers are his 1st choice to sign.

Blood is thick.

If he is thinking NBA some of the best pros are Minnesota,
McHale,
Michael Thompson,
Oberding,
Ray Williams
Louuu Hudson...
Ossie Lockart.-( Globe Trotters!!!
Vashone Leonard,
Trent Tucker --just think if the three point line was there for him.
Jim Brewer --

Some one else name a few..

Sign with Minnesota
Go Gophers

Coming to Minnesota won't hurt his pro chances in the least. It's all about exposure and if he comes here, in addition to the talent already here, I think Minnesota will get plenty of exposure and he'll get plenty of credit as part of the talented young core "building up" the program.

I think two brothers playing together for Tubby Smith on a team that would probably be highly ranked after making a huge turnaround from a few years ago would have a hard time not making headlines. He wouldn't go under the radar.

I agree that if you are good, the NBA finds you no matter where you are. My guess is that some kids just might not think there game will be as "NBA Ready" playing our style in contrast to that of Texas or UCONN. I would think that the possibility of immediate, big minutes would be a major plus here though.

Our style IS OK. It is what our current players are..

Look at the mix we have coming for us next year. Plug 3 new starters and our dominating inside game and experience.

Give me a point guard

---------------COREY JOSEPH ------------------------

Who will be able to beat them Gophers

WhoDat gona beat dem GOPHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coming to Minnesota won't hurt his pro chances in the least.

In fact, some people have come here rather than national contenders simply for the fact that they'd have a much greater chance of being *the* star at Minnesota rather than just one of the boys at another school.

Two examples:
- Kris Humphries
- Voshon Leonard

joseph just has to understand that if he comes here hell get to run an offense of him, his brother/hoff/**williams**, mbakwe, white, sampson.

now thats some serious talent.

screw 3 guarding with so much talent down low

Doesn't surprise me that Trevor is taking it to both Ralph and Iverson.

2011-12 Final Four: Cory, Devoe, Royce, Trevor, Ralph. :)

I think coming to Minnesota and playing with his brother would be the best choice for him. It would make his mother happy and most GopherHolers psychotically euphoric. However, Tubby's 10 or 11 man rotation might be seen as a negative for a young man looking for a lot of minutes to show he belongs in the NBA now. He has stated on several occasions that he will make his choice based on what is the best fit for him. Let's hope that his vision for the future is playing on a very good team with his brother not quickest route to NBA.

The White, Mbakwe news is great on several levels (even though it's frustrating).

1. They are practicing - this alone is an upgrade.
2. IF we have them both next year (current vegas odds at 36%) we'll be great.
3. Ralph is a decent Big Ten center. If he is getting pounded on in practice he knows he can't be satisfied with his current level of strength and skills. This has to be motivating.
4. The fact that they are practicing with the team shortens next year's learning curve.

It's all good.

I think coming to Minnesota and playing with his brother would be the best choice for him. It would make his mother happy and most GopherHolers psychotically euphoric. However, Tubby's 10 or 11 man rotation might be seen as a negative for a young man looking for a lot of minutes to show he belongs in the NBA now. He has stated on several occasions that he will make his choice based on what is the best fit for him. Let's hope that his vision for the future is playing on a very good team with his brother not quickest route to NBA.

The great thing for him is PG is one of the areas where he'll probably get more playing time than most. Once Nolen is gone, it's only him and Cobbs really. A 2011 class PG may come in, but if he's as good as he could be, he won't be pushed by him. He'll get plenty of playing time.

bga1

The White, Mbakwe news is great on several levels (even though it's frustrating).

1. They are practicing - this alone is an upgrade.
2. IF we have them both next year (current vegas odds at 36%) we'll be great.
3. Ralph is a decent Big Ten center. If he is getting pounded on in practice he knows he can be satisfied with his current level of strength and skills. This has to be motivating.
4. The fact that they are practicing with the team shortens next year's leaerning curve.

It's all good.

Agree completely.

+1

In fact, some people have come here rather than national contenders simply for the fact that they'd have a much greater chance of being *the* star at Minnesota rather than just one of the boys at another school.

Two examples:
- Kris Humphries
- Voshon Leonard

Not sure who Leonard is, maybe related to Voshon Lenard? And Kris Humphries.. yeah, just the type of guy I want in the program. That way if the game is boring, you can play "Who's the biggest DB - the kid or his dad?" Krissy figured out he didn't want to honor his commitment to Duke around May of 2003.. ridiculous.

An old story... the quotes from Krissy's dad sounds like some quotes from Trevor.. uncanny:

Early Monday morning rumors began surfacing on the Internet suggesting that Humphries would in fact ask to be released from his LOI. After repeated phone calls, William Humphries, Kris’ father, took a moment to try and dismiss the rumors.

“This kind of thing has happened since he committed to Duke,” said the elder Humphries. “It’s one particular poster on a Minnesota message board who starts this stuff. We have always been straight with the media and never hide behind anything. Kris going to Minnesota is just a Gopher fantasy, but in reality he is going to Duke.”

I don't think a good sell to a kid is, "you get to own this team. It's all about you! You're the man, you are our team!" unless you're some DII school trying to get a 5-star recruit. Definitely not an approach you want for a program that you want to be a perennial power.

Not sure who Leonard is, maybe related to Voshon Lenard? And Kris Humphries.. yeah, just the type of guy I want in the program. That way if the game is boring, you can play "Who's the biggest DB - the kid or his dad?" Krissy figured out he didn't want to honor his commitment to Duke around May of 2003.. ridiculous.

An old story... the quotes from Krissy's dad sounds like some quotes from Trevor.. uncanny:

I don't think a good sell to a kid is, "you get to own this team. It's all about you! You're the man, you are our team!" unless you're some DII school trying to get a 5-star recruit. Definitely not an approach you want for a program that you want to be a perennial power.

Didn't say I liked it, but that's why he came here.

...and I never spell Lenard's name right...

That's the only way it made sense to me, but I don't see why already playing together in HS would mean that was enough or something. It's more likely just Myron's poor writing.

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe he means that he wants to play with him, but since he's already played with him in high school he might feel less inclined to play with him in college too and explore other options. I hope that's not the case though, I'm still confident with our chances. I would have to think his parents would want him to go to Minnesota which can't hurt our chances.

wow, Kris cut you deep..

and you think the big powers don't tell top PG recruits that 'the team is yours next year'..???
maybe just tell these kids they'll never play???

Some other NBA's
Ron Behagen-remember the 1972 fight with Ohio State's Whitte?
Randy Breuer-11 NBA seasons
Bud Grant-NBA Minneapolis Lakers (Sid Hartman GM)
Bobby Jackson-who can forget his senior year?
Mark Landsberger-29 rebounds for the Bulls once vs Denver
Sam Jacobson-1998 1st round
Mychal Thompson- #1 pick, 14 seasons
Przybilla-still playing
John Thomas-Timberwolves 2004
Willie Burton-9th pick 1990 draft
Walter Bond-never drafted but played 3 NBA seasons
there are others, just some I liked

Pretty good history

Hopefully Joseph sees this post, with all these NBA players from Minnesota listed!.. then there's no way he'd shun the Gophers in favor of Texas or UCONN!

Unless he thought producing 1st round picks was 'neat' or something... just in the last decade...Texas:
Augustin #9 overall
Durant #2 overall
Aldridge #2 overall
TJ Ford #8 overall
Mihm #8 overall

Well I'm sure UCONN has nothing on the Gophers... oh wait.. I guess they did have 2006.. when FOUR players were drafted in the first round

-------------------
Let me be clear - I'm not saying Minnesota doesn't have a great tradition... and I'm DEFINITELY not saying going to the U means a kid will have a hard time reaching the NBA.. my point is, I wouldn't get too high and mighty on the Gophers tradition of sending guys to the NBA when comparing them to a lot of other schools... because it's not even close. Not. Even. Close.

Top Bottom