Myron: Gophers have as many 2011 scholarships as necessary

I could be wrong... but Otto is not on scholarship this year since he didn't qualify...? So he takes Devoe's?

Oto is a nonqualifier, but he did receive a partial waiver that let him do a couple of things that nonqualifiers generally can not: (1) practice with the team and (2) be on athletic scholarship.

Trevor Mbakwe would have a hard time making an NBA roster right now. Some of you are underestimating the jump from the Big Ten to the NBA. Cole Aldrich was a lottery pick as a 7'0 center and played in the D league for most of the year. If Mbakwe was as good as some of you guys think he is, this team wouldn't be on life support to make the NCAA tournament.

I agree with the first part. However Cole Aldrich is 6'-9" w/out shoes.

Gopherhole Scholarship Grid...

If you click Gopher Basketball at the top of the site and select Scholarship Grid it is the same as the below link. It shows clearly that Oto is on Scholarship while Halvorsen is a walk-on. Devoe's scholarship is currently available. Hope that changes with Welch committing in early March, go Gophers.
http://robb.dominodeveloper.net/members/robb/gopherroster.nsf/luHTMLOutput/mbb

"Oto is a nonqualifier, but he did receive a partial waiver that let him do a couple of things that nonqualifiers generally can not: (1) practice with the team and (2) be on athletic scholarship."

Thanks that is helpful - I didn't understand how a nonqualifier could be on scholarship, now I see there is a way.
Thanks

And when they start playing basketball without shoes, that statistic will be relevant.

My thoughts exactly, dpodoll. Shoes, no shoes, whatever... comments about shoes or no shoes almost qualifies for inclusion on the list.

I'm pretty sure Dawson is a walk-on. I don't think he officially holds a scholarship, unless it was given to him after last season.

I've heard that Aldrich has a 7'5 wingspan. He can also go further away from the basket than Mbakwe and score. The point is that it is a big jump from the Big Ten to the NBA. There are all kinds of guys who are as big and athletic as Mbakwe and can't do anything in the NBA. Mbakwe is a hell of a player for the Gophers, but some people on here talk about him like he'll walk right into the NBA and play. Love averaged 20 points as a freshmen and it took him 3 years before he did anything in the league. Beasley was a superstar in college and Miami basically just gave him away before his 22nd birthday. Heck, Mbakwe is almost as old as both Love and Beasley!!!

Top Bottom