Myron blogs about guard depth, Royce reportedly looking "very good" in practice

Agree. There were some wide-ranging opinions on Rodney's abilities coming out of high school. One thing that can't be disputed is that he is the most explosive pure athlete we've had in quite awhile (the last one I can remember before Rodney was Sam Jacobson). Of the scouting services I saw, Rivals seemed to have the lowest opinion of him. Just about everybody else I saw had him somewhere in the top 50. And even Rivals, which dropped him because they felt he wasn't progressing in terms of his all-around skills, didn't deny his incredible athleticism.

One thing I noticed is that a lot of these services didn't comment on his defensive abilities, which was interesting. They all said he was a high flyer, tremendous athlete, quick with long arms who could jump over people, etc...Rarely did I see anything about his defensive abilities, other than highlights of him blocking shots. This is something I wish more scouting services would discuss more frequently since a lot of top coaches seem to preach defense first.

I can definitely see him as an "ACC" type of player. He's the type of athlete that is rarely seen amongst Big Ten teams and in both the long and short term, it seems he'll add an extra dimension that we aren't accustomed to seeing.

Someone that played defense in the post in high school and will play on the wing in college would not show alot of the needed skills. They just would not be utilized. There would be no way to determine how good he was going to be either way.

AAU play would show more of the capability for defense though. I would be very surprised if he did not have a long way to go.

Top Bottom