Myron blogs about guard depth, Royce reportedly looking "very good" in practice

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Myron blogs about guard depth, Royce reportedly looking "very good" in practice

This is going to be an interesting year for the Gophers Part 2
Posted by Myron P. Medcalf

Following Friday morning's media session with the Gophers men's basketball team, we went up to the Williams Arena club room, where Tubby Smith spoke with reporters.

Smith's not the type of coach to throw out great compliments about players, especially those who haven't proven anything yet. But he spoke at length about his team's depth and the opportunity for success this season.

He said he's excited about the incoming recruits and said he believes he has four guys who can all contribute this year.

Smith said Rodney Williams Jr. has the potential to start for the Gophers. He also said he won’t redshirt him.

He made general comments about most of the returning players, but he was more specific when he talked about junior point guard Al Nolen.

Smith said Nolen has to be a more "innovative" player this year. I think he’s really looking for Nolen to take that next step. For Nolen, I think that progression would involve more consistency and poise, two must-haves for that position.

During the Q&A session, Smith said sophomore Devoe Joseph's good enough to start at shooting guard or point guard. And he praised the game-readiness of freshman Justin Cobbs.

I really think the point guard spot is Nolen's to lose. Smith made it clear, however, that there's enough talent behind him if he struggles.

I asked Smith about the team's nonconference home schedule, which features numerous teams that didn’t end the 2008-09 season in the top 100 of the RPI.

Someone in the back of the room laughed. And Smith chuckled a bit, too.

He said he didn't want to create a schedule that would affect Minnesota's NCAA tourney hopes. He also said he believes in assembling a schedule that builds a team up.

This year's schedule tests the Gophers early with the 76 Classic and a road game against Miami, but it doesn't get any tougher until Big Ten play begins in late December.

Smith added that a tough schedule doesn't always help a team in the long run. He cited Minnesota's win over Louisville last season and its lopsided loss against Michigan State at home just over a week later.

The third-year coach also spoke about Trevor Mbakwe's current legal situation. He said he was happy with the way the junior's handled everything.

Smith also said that Maturi didn't give him any insight about his pending decision on Mbakwe's playing status.

Check of Part 3 of this post Thursday afternoon.

-One Gophers insider told me that Royce White looks very good so far in practice. The source also praised the team's big men, Colton Iverson and Ralph Sampson III for the way they've competed.

-A Hartford Courant writer speculates that an aunt in Connecticut might influence Cory Joseph's school choice. He recently visited UConn and will travel to Minnesota, where his brother Devoe plays for the Gophers, for an Oct. 30 visit.

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/65...EyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUgOy9cP3DieyckcUsI

Go Gophers!!

Sounds like everyone is pretty upbeat about the season, which should be expected this early on. A agree with Smith's assessment of the "soft" nonconference schedule. Why play yourself out of the tournament before it starts, especially since Minnesota MIGHT end up on the bubble once again this season. It's an effective schedule because it still allows for some marquee non-league wins like at the 76 and against Miami and to some respect, St. Joe's.

Rodney Williams has the potential to start? This comment kind of threw me....Not that he isnt talented enough but it seems Rodney might be a little bit raw to start this year. I guess if you threw him out there with Nolan, Westbrook, Damien and another big he would have experience and ball handling out there with him.

That Rodney might start is intriguing to say the least. Since everyone says he is a little raw, I'll equate that to New York street-ball talent. What a match-up problem especially in the Big Ten! This year could be the least "structured" (set plays) Tubby has played in a while. Could be lots of fun!

Rodney Williams has the potential to start? This comment kind of threw me....Not that he isnt talented enough but it seems Rodney might be a little bit raw to start this year. I guess if you threw him out there with Nolan, Westbrook, Damien and another big he would have experience and ball handling out there with him.

Kinda surprised about the Williams comment too. Maybe he's showing something in practice that prompted Tubby to say that. Maybe he's just being upbeat....who knows?
However, I will say this: If Rodney develops an outside shot and enhances his ball-handling skillz, he could be something SIMILAR to Kevin Durant. Look how skinny he is! Not to mention he couldn't bench 185 in college.

If Rodney is capable of breaking into the start line-up... he must really be showing something in practice. I always felt the consensus on Williams was "he is a project." Either way, that is fantastic news. Good for him.

I think key word is "potential".
Lots of ability and up-side that he has to develop in time??

Tubby's always been a coach that will let you play yourself into a starting role. If Rodney puts in the work outside of the games, improves significantly with his strength and jump shot, plays well in practice, and our other SFs struggle, then I could see Tubby trying him out as a starter.

It's pretty unlikely, but at the same time, Tubby isn't going to let someone start all year just because they're older.

Assuming Mbakwe is cleared to play, the starting lineup to begin the season will almost certainly be Nolen, Westbrook, Damian, Mbakwe and one of our centers.

Center is the only position that's hard to call - Ralph looked better at the end of last season, but all reports so far say that while both of them look good, Colt looks better. It's hard to tell in scrimmages though.

That having been said, any one of those spots could change. Cobbs or Joseph could end up starting at point, Joseph could start at SG, Carter or White could start at SF (or very unlikely Rodney), Damian or Royce could possibly start at the 4 if we go small, or it's possible we go big and start Colt and RS3 together at the 4/5.

After center, I think point is up for grabs more than any other spot though - Nolen was brutal at the end of last season, Cobbs has been impressive from what little we've seen of him so far, and while Devoe may or may not start, I think he's going to have a big season, and it will be very hard to keep him out of the starting lineup. Even if he doesn't start, I expect Devoe to be in the top 5 on the team in minutes.

Tubby's got options, and you can be assured that anyone who wants to start will be working their ass off to improve and earn that spot. As long as no one gets caught up worrying about the minutes, that's a good thing.

I"m not that surprised about Williams. Kid is the best athlete on the team, a legit 6'6" or 6'7", and not all that much slimmer than DJ. Kid could be a very good defender and while he's a bit raw he has a streaky J. I could see him playing a lot of minutes at the 2 or the 3, especially next to a guy like Joseph or Hoff who can be outside threats

I think Tubby likes Rodney because of a few of things (none of which have anything to do with a lack of a jump shot):

1) He can defend in the full or half court
2) He can jump, block shots and rebound
3) He can run the floor
4) He is one of the most coachable kid on the team

tjgopher -
curious why you think he is more coachable than any other player. Based on my limited knowledge of Tubby I would guess that everyone of these guys are coachable otherwise they wouldn't be there.

tjgopher -
curious why you think he is more coachable than any other player.

First of all, I said he was ONE OF the most coachable players on the team. That doesn't mean the team is full of guys who are uncoachable.

Secondly, I say that because that is what Tubby has said several times already this year. That Rodney is very coachable. I don't think Tubby has said that about any other player yet this season, so I think that is a big reason Tubby is high on him and says he could possibly start. That, and the fact he can defend.

While I agree he is raw in some areas, I could see Rodney being be a major contributor immediately. His main shortcomings are his ball-handling, strength, and to a lesser degree, shooting. The ball-handling issues aren't the biggest problem in the world. On the break you'll want him on the wing every time, and in the half court sets he will actually benefit from structure (not "street ball" as some would believe) where he can have a defined role in the offense and won't be asked to things that he can't do. His jumper seems good enough that, with some work, he'll be able to force teams to respect him. And I can live with 3 raise-the-roof dunks per game on that end if that's the only way he can score.

Where he can be really good right away is on the defensive end. His length and athleticism really shine through, as he's already a great help defender. He is a great shoot blocker. Basically just a more athletic version of DJ. Like DJ when he came in as a freshman, Strength is a bit lacking, but that can covered up with help defense and, against SGs, his length.

This Gopher team might be the deepest in the country. There really don't appear to be any real weak links (with the possible exception of PG). I honestly have no idea how playing time will be divided, which is a really good problem to have. My main hope is the we commit to playing the 40 minutes of hell defense to wear teams down, knowing that we can go 13 deep if we have to.

While I agree he is raw in some areas, I could see Rodney being be a major contributor immediately. His main shortcomings are his ball-handling, strength, and to a lesser degree, shooting. The ball-handling issues aren't the biggest problem in the world. On the break you'll want him on the wing every time, and in the half court sets he will actually benefit from structure (not "street ball" as some would believe) where he can have a defined role in the offense and won't be asked to things that he can't do. His jumper seems good enough that, with some work, he'll be able to force teams to respect him. And I can live with 3 raise-the-roof dunks per game on that end if that's the only way he can score.

Where he can be really good right away is on the defensive end. His length and athleticism really shine through, as he's already a great help defender. He is a great shoot blocker. Basically just a more athletic version of DJ. Like DJ when he came in as a freshman, Strength is a bit lacking, but that can covered up with help defense and, against SGs, his length.

This Gopher team might be the deepest in the country. There really don't appear to be any real weak links (with the possible exception of PG). I honestly have no idea how playing time will be divided, which is a really good problem to have. My main hope is the we commit to playing the 40 minutes of hell defense to wear teams down, knowing that we can go 13 deep if we have to.

Deepest in B10, perhaps. Deepest in Div I, not so sure about that.

I think Tubby likes Rodney because of a few of things (none of which have anything to do with a lack of a jump shot):

1) He can defend in the full or half court
2) He can jump, block shots and rebound
3) He can run the floor
4) He is one of the most coachable kid on the team

For all we know, Rodney Williams may be the best perimeter shooter the Gophers have at small forward too. There is little proof he is (although a highlight vid shows him hitting one), but DJ and Carter are painful to watch trying to throw anything up beyond 10-feet.

For all we know, Rodney Williams may be the best perimeter shooter the Gophers have at small forward too. There is little proof he is (although a highlight vid shows him hitting one), but DJ and Carter are painful to watch trying to throw anything up beyond 10-feet.

You will be pleasantly surprised by Carter's outside shot this year.

I respect your opinion, however...
I think the Gophers have A LOT of talent, but to say they are the deepest team in the country is a little bit of a stretch in my opinion. Also, having a weakness at PG is like having a weakness at QB for football. In order to be a successful team, you need a good PG. Look at all the top 10 teams in the national NCAA Division I poll -- they all probably have a great PG.
If the Gophers didn't have any weak links like you stated, then I think they'd be in every national top 25 poll. Instead, they are hovering outside the top 25 in every preseason ranking (which isn't to say that's bad).
Let's get things straight though. I am very excited about this team. In fact, I can't remember the last time I was this excited for a season to start. But I think we should focus on rising in the Big Ten before we claim to have no weaknesses and are the deepest team in the country. Thank you for listening to my opinion.
GO GOPHERS!!!

In regards to Rodney, I'll admit I was surprised how many folks on here were all but guaranteeing he wouldn't contribute much if anything at all as a freshmen due to his lack of skills. Seems Tubby feels he has plenty of skills to contribute, whether it be as a freshmen or otherwise.

I always felt that if he played good defense, he'd play plenty because he adds a level of athleticism on the break that we haven't displayed in many years. And there were reports from some recruiting experts that he was one of the best defenders available at the SF position from last year's class. Seems they may have been correct and that he'll fit in pretty well with the team and what Tubby expects from his players. Obviously, its early and there's still tons of time between now and being able to put together a fair evaluation of how Rodney does during the season. But I'm not surprised that Rodney has been impressive so far in preseason practice.

Kinda surprised about the Williams comment too. Maybe he's showing something in practice that prompted Tubby to say that. Maybe he's just being upbeat....who knows?
However, I will say this: If Rodney develops an outside shot and enhances his ball-handling skillz, he could be something SIMILAR to Kevin Durant. Look how skinny he is! Not to mention he couldn't bench 185 in college.

My take on the Rodney comment is a little different. I wonder if Tubby was responding to all the redshirt speculation by trying to say "why would I redshirt a guy who has a chance to start?"

I didn't read it as saying that he thought Rodney was ahead of the other 4 freshman, only that there was enough current ability to work worth and that he didn't want to presuppose how good Rodney would be 4 months from now.

I base that only on what I read--no inside info.

In regards to Rodney, I'll admit I was surprised how many folks on here were all but guaranteeing he wouldn't contribute much if anything at all as a freshmen due to his lack of skills. Seems Tubby feels he has plenty of skills to contribute, whether it be as a freshmen or otherwise.

I always felt that if he played good defense, he'd play plenty because he adds a level of athleticism on the break that we haven't displayed in many years. And there were reports from some recruiting experts that he was one of the best defenders available at the SF position from last year's class. Seems they may have been correct and that he'll fit in pretty well with the team and what Tubby expects from his players. Obviously, its early and there's still tons of time between now and being able to put together a fair evaluation of how Rodney does during the season. But I'm not surprised that Rodney has been impressive so far in preseason practice.

Excellent points. I must say, however, that Rodney was all over the board in terms of where he ranked nationally recruiting-wise. Some services and publications tabbed him as a sure-fire top 30 recruit while other databases placed him barely in the top 100. I guess that happens with a kid so freakishly athletic like Williams. Some "experts" I'm sure fell in love with his jumping ability, length and highlight dunks, which is great. However, I think every one who has watched him play more than once knows he has a long way to go (don't all freshman). He might struggle if a 6-7, 6-8 rugged small forward from the Big 10 — and there are plenty of them — tries to post him up. I agree, though, his long arms and pure athletic ability are VERY intriguing. He reminds me of an "ACC-type" player.

It was a compliment. It means that he's improving. Comments like yours get just as old. Enough people respond like you defending him for whatever reason. I critique his facts, not his writing, and I never said I could do a better job. But yes, the Strib could find someone who could do a better job than he has done overall, but I admit that he's getting better. I don't really have anything against him except when his facts are wrong, it's just that he shouldn't have been hired in the first place to learn how to report on the job.

Here we go again. Don't comments like this get old? We get it! He's apparently a horrible writer and everyone on here can do a better job!

Excellent points. I must say, however, that Rodney was all over the board in terms of where he ranked nationally recruiting-wise. Some services and publications tabbed him as a sure-fire top 30 recruit while other databases placed him barely in the top 100. I guess that happens with a kid so freakishly athletic like Williams. Some "experts" I'm sure fell in love with his jumping ability, length and highlight dunks, which is great. However, I think every one who has watched him play more than once knows he has a long way to go (don't all freshman). He might struggle if a 6-7, 6-8 rugged small forward from the Big 10 — and there are plenty of them — tries to post him up. I agree, though, his long arms and pure athletic ability are VERY intriguing. He reminds me of an "ACC-type" player.

THing is that's true with a ton of guys. James White was a McD All American and couldn't do much but jump until his senior year. Rodney was hurt by playing out of position in high school. It was cool for his team but he never got the chance to handle the rock on offense or create so when he got to AAU his rawness stood out a bit. Still dude is an athletic freak that should be a good defender on the perimeter almost immediately with his length and athleticism

Defense. He could be an absolutely phenomenal defender if that's what he wants to do. He could be a shut down guy against 3 different positions, plus if they're going to get out and run and trap, he's obviously a terrific finisher.

I hate our sissyass schedule. Lets get on TV maybe? Play a real team? If we're so *talented* can't we win games against stronger competition?

UGH! I just freaking hate our schedule....effing cowardly if you ask me.

THing is that's true with a ton of guys. James White was a McD All American and couldn't do much but jump until his senior year. Rodney was hurt by playing out of position in high school. It was cool for his team but he never got the chance to handle the rock on offense or create so when he got to AAU his rawness stood out a bit. Still dude is an athletic freak that should be a good defender on the perimeter almost immediately with his length and athleticism

James White played 3 years at Cincy. He could do lots more than "jump" all 3 years. I follow UC closely.

Agree. There were some wide-ranging opinions on Rodney's abilities coming out of high school. One thing that can't be disputed is that he is the most explosive pure athlete we've had in quite awhile (the last one I can remember before Rodney was Sam Jacobson). Of the scouting services I saw, Rivals seemed to have the lowest opinion of him. Just about everybody else I saw had him somewhere in the top 50. And even Rivals, which dropped him because they felt he wasn't progressing in terms of his all-around skills, didn't deny his incredible athleticism.

One thing I noticed is that a lot of these services didn't comment on his defensive abilities, which was interesting. They all said he was a high flyer, tremendous athlete, quick with long arms who could jump over people, etc...Rarely did I see anything about his defensive abilities, other than highlights of him blocking shots. This is something I wish more scouting services would discuss more frequently since a lot of top coaches seem to preach defense first.

I can definitely see him as an "ACC" type of player. He's the type of athlete that is rarely seen amongst Big Ten teams and in both the long and short term, it seems he'll add an extra dimension that we aren't accustomed to seeing.

James White played 3 years at Cincy. He could do lots more than "jump" all 3 years. I follow UC closely.

1, I somehow confused White with the cat that ended up at Okie St after starting at UNC. Forget the name

2, White was never what he was hyped to be

Top Bottom