My Rant

DuluthGopher

Reaction score
Why do I have the feeling that so called true gopher fans are actually wanting the G's to lose this weekend, and not only lose but get destroyed so that there is more heat on Brewster. Why don't people realize that he is our coach for at least one more year. There is no way he is getting fired so give it a rest and lets just look forward to whats ahead.
Yea our offense sucked against SDSU, Weber does not look like he has become the QB that we were hoping he would be by now. Our line cant block worth a crap and our run game is nonexistent. I will admit to all of those things. But lets look on the other side of things for awhile. The only reason we won last week were because of freshmen. Look who made the plays, it was the freshmen or sophmores. Basically all the guys that we are losing can be replaced by better players. Some people say, if they are so good, why arent they playing over the upper classmen. And the answer is, is that they probably aren't physically ready to play and to not let the seniors play their last games, would be in insult to all of them. Let the seniors play their hearts out the last 2 games of their careers. Those guys went through hell during their 4-5 years here. Let them go out, win or lose, and let the better athletes take over next year. If you don't honestly see how this team won't be better next year, I feel sorry for you.
The line should be better with all seniors who have had a second year in this system. It all takes time to learn the system, no matter what position you play. I think we will definitaly have more of a pass rush next year with actual DE's playing, instead of DT's trying to play DE. I think our linebackers will be a bit undersized, but Cooper has already shown that he is a playmaker, so I think he will fit into Lawrence's role even better than Lawrence has played. And I love Cambell's intensity, but he is not all that good, and Tripplet, who i also like, is just simply not that good of a linebacker, so he is easily replaced. I will admit that Small and Brown are pretty good DT's but I think we won't miss them as much as we might think. Secondary does scare me, but again lets be honest, is there a whole lot that BPT & Sherrels have done to make us worry. Carter will take over there, as if he hasn't already, and we will let them play out who deserves the other CB spot.
On offense we I do believe that Brew will let Gray have a legit chance to start, simply because he knows his job is on the line next year. I am as sick as anyone watching Weber make mistakes that freshmen shouldn't make, but I truley beleive that the better QB will play next year. We have all the recievers learn the system for another year and I think this is the deepest our WR depth has been in a long time. I think Liar gives us more speed at the TE spot. I really do think that Fisch with a year under his belt, will better understand what a college offense is all about, and how to better run an offense, considering he has never been a full time coordinator, I think there is an adjustment time for him also.

Thats my rant, I needed to get it off my chest. If you don't agree with some or all of the things I have to say, well I am sorry. Take it for what its worth, which is basically nothing.
Plus, I know I spelled some names and words wrong. Well I am too lazy and don't care enough to actually look them up.

good post. The future looks bright and I feel sorry for the negative people who can't see that because they focus on W-L's

I think there are a lot more positive people out there who support Brewster and the Gophers, but don't post about it consistently. The people who are prone to consistently post are more likely those with something negative to say. If Pat Reusse wasn't paid to write, I can guarantee he would be a message board warrior until 3AM every day (in fact, I have my own theory that the poster with the moniker of a latex importer/exporter may be Reusse. His posting style is exactly what I would expect out of him).

I have plenty of reservations about Brewster and Weber, and I support both of them (Weber to a lesser extent; after watching the SDSU game I think Brew should have mixed Gray in for a series or two). Like you say, it is pretty shortsighted to judge Brewster's tenure on playing with two years of his own recruits. Let his recruits become upperclassmen and allow for some continuity in the offensive/defensive systems, and I think you will see this program start to take off.

I've become distracted. To reiterate, I don't post on here all that often but I am a supporter of Brew. I follow the team extremely closely but don't feel a need to constantly discuss it on the message boards. It is human nature to focus on negative stories/developments (try watching the nightly news - negative sells). I have a good friend who is in the same position as I am. Don't worry, there are plenty of faithful out there!

Excellent vague reference. I completely agree!

I've complained about the last two games but strongly support a fourth year for Brew - in fact, I think new coaches do need a full five years to set a new direction, if they are going to do it. Next year will be crucial, and to be honest, I'm a little worried about losing nine starters on defense. Beyond that, Weber at QB for yet another year is unsettling. All we can do is hope for the best - and certainly we want a win at Iowa City!

I was where you are at after the MSU game. As hard as it is to believe that a win would have that affect it did. Why? Because the board was in melt down after two expected tough games against Penn State and Ohio State just the week before. And the same folks calling for Brews job, and saying that Weber was the worst QB in the world were now offering up extensions and praising Weber. The manic-ness of the board was apparent. I lost a lot of respect for many posters. And then true enough, the next week after a poor performance another complete 180. I thought, "gee, this board is useless."

So I blew a mini gasket, put up my rant as you did and sat back to decide if it was even worth it to be on here anymore. Let the idiots have their board. If that's how the holers want to be, who am I to say they can't, I'll just be on my way. After a few days of missing the hole and some posters I thought I would give it one last try, and actually use the ignore function. Luckily there were a few useful threads that gathered most of the offending parties in one central local and it only took a short time to get the most of them. What was interesting was that there were very few people that I put on that were old timers. Almost all had posting totals of less than one hundred, and most when I took the time to look at their posted ages were quite young, with a few exceptions.

It's really funny what just a few idiots can accomplish. How so few can wreck things for so many. But the ignore button greatly reverses that. It's a beautiful thing. Now everybody has their own criteria for who goes on ignore and who doesn't. I pretty much just got rid of the manic types, people who couldn't draw perspective and were incapable of finding the sport discussion in unpleasant outcomes. Generally these are the people who call for Brewsters job. There is a difference between not liking brew or hoping he would improve at something, or even wishing we had a different coach, than bashing him and calling for his head. And people who abused Weber or other players. What he is is the all time gopher passing leader who doesn't seem to be playing particularily well. What's open for discussion is why that might be. What is not is wether he sucks or not. He doesn't, he's not producing well this year in this offense. There is a difference. Those that can't figure that difference out are now on ignore. My take on the team is that it's the team we have. We're not going to bring in any free agents, we need to support the ones we have and hope for the best out of them.

The last type I put on ignore is just a personal dislike. Generally speaking people who have a huge gulf between how smart they think they are and how smart they actually are. Like the Highlander there can be only one.

Its easier to be angry than rational, that's why we see more negativity on the boards.

Good post Duluth.

I have not offered my opinion about Brewster, Fisch, or Weber very often on this board so now is a good opportunity. I tend to stay out of such political (or bickering) battles.

I fully support Brew, and what he has done. I think he needs 5 years to show he's headed in the right direction!

I'll admit the thought of wanting SDSU to win crept into my mind with regards to it being the last coffin nail for Brewster. But that didn't happen and he will be back. And even if losing this week would mean a new coach, I could never, ever, ever root for Iowa to beat us in anything for any reason.

I love how we all "know" that Brewster is gone if we lose to SDSU. Because, you know, money grows on trees and stuff.

Top Bottom