My Opinions....

TPatt17

Reaction score
1. Even though it doesnt look like it to most people, the team is improving

2. I've noticed that there are frustrated "Fans" which is understandable, but if you are going to be Gopher fans then you can't have one foot in and one foot out. You ride with your team regardless.

3. I know the team is struggling somewhat right now, but we have to at least give the coaching staff some type credit. The guys arent out there giving up and they are competing for 4 quarters.

4. The season isnt over just yet, but these last 6 games are going to be ROUGH! Instead of the "Fire Brewster" chants how about us as fans rally behind our team and get loud throughout the entire game!

They're behind the team, just not the Coach & quite frankly I don't blame them...

Brewster has yet to show he can coach & outside of that he has a knack for being delusional when he speaks...

Having said that it's only fair to the players to go out their & get some W's & I hope they can win some more games cuz it's not their fault they have a bonehead for a coach...

2. I've noticed that there are frustrated "Fans" which is understandable, but if you are going to be Gopher fans then you can't have one foot in and one foot out. You ride with your team regardless.

3. I know the team is struggling somewhat right now, but we have to at least give the coaching staff some type credit. The guys arent out there giving up and they are competing for 4 quarters.

4. The season isnt over just yet, but these last 6 games are going to be ROUGH! Instead of the "Fire Brewster" chants how about us as fans rally behind our team and get loud throughout the entire game!

If competing in garbage time fourth quarter is what you call improvement then so be it. I also don't understand how we are improving when it is clear we will have a worse record than last year. It's pretty black and white at this point, no amount of spin can make me think otherwise.

I see a lot of people on these boards complaining about the negativity, well I am going to complain about the overly-positive, get over yourself. You want us all to cheer our lungs out while John Clay carves up our defense for over 10 yards a carry.

Watch the games, support the teams, but don't blindly cheer them on. Things will never improve if the fans are complacent. Why else would you ever try to improve?

Loon?

Is that you?

I'm a former player and I'm going to speak my mind when i feel necessary. So to the comment about "getting over myself" for being overly-positive i'm just going to let that slide. If being overly positive annoys you then don't watch the game, dont go to the games. Read the paper and then post blogs about how these young men are terrible!

I'm a former player and I'm going to speak my mind when i feel necessary. So to the comment about "getting over myself" for being overly-positive i'm just going to let that slide. If being overly positive annoys you then don't watch the game, dont go to the games. Read the paper and then post blogs about how these young men are terrible!

Never have I said these young men are terrible and I don't miss a game because I love Gopher football.

However, I think Minnesota fans are great and they deserve better. Where does that start? The top with the coach.

I say get over yourself because it is so easy to turn a blind eye to what is happening and just "stay positive." You don't want to think about how far behind our team is in the big 10 and how many years it could be before we have a winning record in conference play again, let alone a Rose Bowl birth.

Never have I said these young men are terrible and I don't miss a game because I love Gopher football.

However, I think Minnesota fans are great and they deserve better. Where does that start? The top with the coach.

I say get over yourself because it is so easy to turn a blind eye to what is happening and just "stay positive." You don't want to think about how far behind our team is in the big 10 and how many years it could be before we have a winning record in conference play again, let alone a Rose Bowl birth.

You don't "deserve" any thing as a fan. You pay for entertainment. The players and coaches, the people who put the hard work and dedication, are the ones who deserve better. Maybe you should get over yourself.

You don't "deserve" any thing as a fan. You pay for entertainment. The players and coaches, the people who put the hard work and dedication, are the ones who deserve better. Maybe you should get over yourself.

Fans don't deserve anything? If it's not for the fans there is no football, because there is no money!

You pay for ENTERTAINMENT. Are you not ENTERTAINED when you leave the game. You may not like the result, everyone has not liked it this year, but were stimulated enough about it to spend your time on this board complaining about it. You probably also think that since "tax payer" money was used to build Target Field that you are part owner of the team.

1. I've seen improvements on offense but not on defense. I've seen a regression on defense, especially up the middle.

2. Completely agree

3. Most of the team isn't giving up. Some individuals I've seen mail it in but I think the bad apples always make themselves seen when a team has a chance at going 1-11. I don't think one of Brewster's (or his staff) weaknesses is motivating players. It's the execution, gameplan, inexperience, game management, and talent that are bigger problems.

4. At this point, I'd say just don't boo the players. I think that's a goal we can achieve.

Fans don't deserve anything? If it's not for the fans there is no football, because there is no money!

When a fans buys a ticket he/she deserves/has paid for the right to a seat.

It ends there.

thailleagle roots for offensive passing success, but for Adam Weber to fail.

It's been a hour and there hasn't been any " so I'm not a TRUE fan" yet post added to this thread. That's some progress I guess.

i agree that then fans deserve for everyone that is involved with the program give their best effort because at the end of the day it's about money. At the same time players appreciate fans that arent fair weather..Just my opinion..

When a fans buys a ticket he/she deserves/has paid for the right to a seat.

It ends there.

So the person who pays for college gameday so he doesn't miss a game because he is currently living outside his home state doesn't deserve the same thing? It seems to me that said person is going out of his/her way to watch his favorite college football team and deserves the same treatment.

Good to here from you TPATT, what, in your opinion, is not happening on the team currently to reach the type of success your team's had?

i agree that then fans deserve for everyone that is involved with the program give their best effort because at the end of the day it's about money. At the same time players appreciate fans that arent fair weather..Just my opinion..

People often rip our fans for being "fair weather" or this and that...I say, are you fricking kidding me?! We haven't been a Rose Bowl in 50 YEARS!!!!!!!!!! We've had 5, yes 5, winning (5-3 or better) BT seasons since 1969! The fact that we still have almost 50K fans willing to show up and come to the games, and fan interest to warrant a growing message board community, and line up for call-in radio shows, etc. shows me that we aren't fair weather.

Yea the negativity sucks right now and yea, the booing and empty seats are frustrating, but for the past 40-50 years we haven't given the casual Minnesota (non-Gopher die-hard) fan base much to get excited about outside of a few seasons here and there where we almost got over the hump.

I'd love for us to go 5-3, 6-2 (gasp!) and then see bandwagon fans jumping on, but those of us who have endured only a handful of 5-3 seasons in 40-50 years aren't "fair weather" if we're still around.

But on a side note that I'm guessing you can attest to, one thing I do miss in our running game is the fantastic down field blocking that our WRs used to have under Mason. I always said that our RBs owed many a long run and TD for our selfless WRs who used to block so well down field, and there were a couple of WRs in particular who were exceptional at this, and I think you may know of a couple!

Go Gophers!!

If competing in garbage time fourth quarter is what you call improvement then so be it. I also don't understand how we are improving when it is clear we will have a worse record than last year. It's pretty black and white at this point, no amount of spin can make me think otherwise.

I see a lot of people on these boards complaining about the negativity, well I am going to complain about the overly-positive, get over yourself. You want us all to cheer our lungs out while John Clay carves up our defense for over 10 yards a carry.

Watch the games, support the teams, but don't blindly cheer them on. Things will never improve if the fans are complacent. Why else would you ever try to improve?

Gotta call you out on a few points here.

The team is getting better, just not good enough to win games yet. The performance on Sat was better than the one against SD. There are bright spots, the W-L column is not one of them.

Being negative is your right, but don't think that it helps anything, being overly positive doesn't either but at least it's focusing on what little bright side of things this program has right now.
And YES if you are a fan you better be screaming your guts out regardless of whether Clay is carving up our D.

Being positive and looking for bright spots isn't being complacent, neither is cheering for the players who IMO haven't given up yet. The team can easily improve by winning and gaining confidence which COULD be encouraged by public support, it's separate from the administration and coaching situations which are diseased and need to be rectified immediately if not sooner.
Teams don't only improve by their fans turning on them and demanding better play, in fact I'd be surprised if they ever do.

So the person who pays for college gameday so he doesn't miss a game because he is currently living outside his home state doesn't deserve the same thing? It seems to me that said person is going out of his/her way to watch his favorite college football team and deserves the same treatment.

Yes I agree, you have paid for and "deserve" to see the game on your TV. Just like the paid ticket holder has paid for and "deserves" to see the game from the seat they purchased.

Gotta call you out on a few points here.

The team is getting better, just not good enough to win games yet. The performance on Sat was better than the one against SD. There are bright spots, the W-L column is not one of them.

Being negative is your right, but don't think that it helps anything, being overly positive doesn't either but at least it's focusing on what little bright side of things this program has right now.
And YES if you are a fan you better be screaming your guts out regardless of whether Clay is carving up our D.

Being positive and looking for bright spots isn't being complacent, neither is cheering for the players who IMO haven't given up yet. The team can easily improve by winning and gaining confidence which COULD be encouraged by public support, it's separate from the administration and coaching situations which are diseased and need to be rectified immediately if not sooner.
Teams don't only improve by their fans turning on them and demanding better play, in fact I'd be surprised if they ever do.

Thanks for the comments. You are right, I needed to be called out on some things. Let it be known I don't want to be negative, but I feel it is appropriate.

But what you said in bold, what does that say about where we are as a program and fans? We are reaching so far for bright spots that we almost ignore the win/loss column and talk about how we play real well against the opponent's second defense because they are already up by three scores.

i understand you are just looking for bright spots, but I would rather be looking for bright spots in a close loss to a rival, rather than positives from a 1-5 season that looks even more bleak.

Former receiver, Tony Patterson, I take it?

Tony, I don't know how much you read these kind of message boards, but just take everything with a grain of salt. Yes, a lot of people are frustrated, but message boards tend to attract the vocal minority (whether it be chest thumping or complaining).

My take is that this team is improving somewhat from the beginning of this year, but I had no idea how bad our rushing defense would be this year. Totally caught me by surprise. I've been ok with the offense. I'll always be a gopher fan, no matter what their record or who the coach is. I do hope fans keep cheering for the players even if they can't stand the coach. I save all my booing for pro sports.

Thanks for the comments. You are right, I needed to be called out on some things. Let it be known I don't want to be negative, but I feel it is appropriate.

But what you said in bold, what does that say about where we are as a program and fans? We are reaching so far for bright spots that we almost ignore the win/loss column and talk about how we play real well against the opponent's second defense because they are already up by three scores.

i understand you are just looking for bright spots, but I would rather be looking for bright spots in a close loss to a rival, rather than positives from a 1-5 season that looks even more bleak.

I agree, we're in a dark place, but I'd rather get a bit excited about Mcknight and Gray's ball skills on their TD's and Lair and Allen looking like future playmakers than dwell on our abysmal record.
It doesn't make our record any less disgusting and it doesn't forgive our coaches and administrators, but it's something to hang future hope on.

I think we all would. Like Ole said, I don't think anyone accepts being mediocre (or worse). We're all very frustrated. For me anyways, it's easier to get through a tough season by looking at the bright spots and being as positive as I can.

@ruralgopher to answer your question I believe it starts with the running game. During the years I played we had Hamner-Redmon-Tapeh-Barber-at RB. Then we had Hamilton-Haayer-Roth-Burns-Larson-Rawlings-Hau-Kuppe-Eslinger-Setterstrom-Quinn-Carter-Melander on the O-Line (Hopefully I didnt forget anyone). Everyone knew what we wre gonna do but Coach Browning had those boys coached up and they did their job well. Anyone who has any football IQ knows it starts with the the Run. If you can run the ball then you will be a successful team, but if you can't stop the run it'll be a long season.

@BleedGopher yea I can think of a couple! ha

All in all, I think that OUR Gopher team will pull out a victory this week! I think Brewster and the rest of the coaching staff knows that this is a must win game and they will pull out every trick possible thats in that playbook.

It reminds me of an old joke "Aside from that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play". I'm not very interested in improvement over the course of the season, it's easy to improve from the South Dakota debacle. I'm not going to boo the players, but we really need a new coach.

People often rip our fans for being "fair weather" or this and that...I say, are you fricking kidding me?! We haven't been a Rose Bowl in 50 YEARS!!!!!!!!!! We've had 5, yes 5, winning (5-3 or better) BT seasons since 1969! The fact that we still have almost 50K fans willing to show up and come to the games, and fan interest to warrant a growing message board community, and line up for call-in radio shows, etc. shows me that we aren't fair weather.

Yea the negativity sucks right now and yea, the booing and empty seats are frustrating, but for the past 40-50 years we haven't given the casual Minnesota (non-Gopher die-hard) fan base much to get excited about outside of a few seasons here and there where we almost got over the hump.

I'd love for us to go 5-3, 6-2 (gasp!) and then see bandwagon fans jumping on, but those of us who have endured only a handful of 5-3 seasons in 40-50 years aren't "fair weather" if we're still around.

But on a side note that I'm guessing you can attest to, one thing I do miss in our running game is the fantastic down field blocking that our WRs used to have under Mason. I always said that our RBs owed many a long run and TD for our selfless WRs who used to block so well down field, and there were a couple of WRs in particular who were exceptional at this, and I think you may know of a couple!

Go Gophers!!

Fair weather may no be the best term - just not sure what term describes fans. Some are very, very loyal. Some, and I mean a lot, simply wont follow the Gophers unless they are winning. I have experienced that with my own friends.

Pining for the days of Mason's running game? No way. Yes, the receivers blocked well and the ground game was nothing short of stupendous. Until it came time to really, really needing a yard or two to ice the game.

It would be interesting to know what the majority of the team really feels about Brewster. That would be pretty telling. Murray wasn't alway liked when you were playing, but he was respected. After you were done playing you respected him more, and he did you also.

Top Bottom