My Big Ten All Conference Team (through the non-conference)

coolhandgopher

Reaction score
Although there are a few non-conference games remaining for the Big Ten teams, the only one of real substance remaining is Ohio State versus West Virginia on Saturday, so I thought I'd offer up my take on who I'd have on the Big Ten All Conference Team, before conference play actually begins, if that makes any sense. Hell, I think I'll do a first and second team. On with the show:

PG Talor Battle, Penn State-Sure to be a controversial pick on this board (and likely the same if posted on the Wisconsin and Illinois boards), Battle has had an outstanding start to his sophomore year. Averaging 18.5 ppg and nearly 6 rebounds and 6 assists per game, he has keyed the Nittany Lions to a 11-2 start. Battle is an efficient scorer (46% field goals, 41% 3 pointers) and his ratio of assists/turnovers is nearly 3 to 1. The competition will soon get a lot tougher for Penn State and it will be challenge for Battle to keep this spot from a group of strong contenders.

SG Manny Harris, Michigan-At another competitive position, Harris has stood out from the competition and keyed the Wolverines to their unexpected positive start to the season. Harris has been a two man show offensive show with Deshawn Sims for the Wolverines and his excellent consistency is a major reason they sit at 9-2 with upset wins over UCLA and Duke. Harris leads the Big Ten in scoring at 19 per game, while averaging 7 rebounds per game along with 5 assists per game. He's shooting 47% from the field and 89% from the free throw line, where he gets to a considerable amount of time.

SF Evan Turner, Ohio State-Turner barely ekes out Robbie Hummel for this spot, and he gets the nod because of how he has stepped up in the Buckeyes' crucial games. Averaging just shy of 17 points (on 55% shooting) and 7 rebounds per night, he also chips in with 3 assists per game and is leading the Big Ten with nearly 3 steals per game. His breakout game was a 28 point performance in the upset over Notre Dame, but he's been a model of consistency all season, scoring in double figures in all but the first game of the year while establishing himself as Ohio State's go to guy. Needs to limit his turnovers as they step into Big Ten play.

PF Mike Davis, Illinois-Yet another sophomore standout, Davis has been a key in the Illini's outstanding and surprising start to the season. The frontcourt was a huge question mark for Illinois stepping into this season and while center Mike Tisdale continues to struggle with consistency, Davis has been the model of consistency for the Illini. Leading Illinois in scoring with 13 ppg with over 8 rebounds per night, Davis has had stellar outings against Clemson, Missouri, and Vanderbilt. The fortunes of the Illini's season rests pretty heavily on Davis' ability to continue his strong play throughout the Big Ten season.

C Deshawn Sims, Michigan-The early clubhouse leader for Big Ten Player of the Year, Sims has been simply outstanding this season. One of only two Big Ten players to score in double figures in all their games thus far this season (Talor Battle's the other), Sims is averaging over 17 points per game (4th in Big Ten) along with over 9 rebounds per game (leading the Big Ten). From his sophomore season, Sims has markedly increased his average in field goal percentage (from 40% to 55%) and rebounds per game (from 5.4 to 9.2). Sims has also came up huge in Michigan's big wins-18 points against UCLA and 28 points and 12 rebounds in their second game against Duke. To beat Michigan, you have to contain Sims and that looks to be a pretty tall order this season.

2nd Team

PG Al Nolen, Minnesota-This may appear to be a homer pick from those fans of Michigan State, Illinois, and Wisconsin, but while Nolen's resume has its points you can pick apart (low shooting percentage for instance), all of the other candidates have their weaknesses too. On a very balanced and deep team, Nolen has proven himself to the most irreplaceable of the Golden Gophers in leading them to a 11-0 record. Nolen sits second in the Big Ten in both assists per game (6.0) and steals (2.6) while chipping in 9 points a contest and 4.3 rebounds. His assist/turnover ratio is a sparkling 3.5 to 1 and he simply is a winner.

SG E'Twaun Moore, Purdue-Along with his running mate who you'll see next, Moore keys the Purdue offensive attack and produces consistently for the Boilermakers, averaging 14 points per contest along with almost five rebounds and over three assists per game. He's been in a bit of a shooting slump, but will get his points for the Boilermakers.

SF Robbie Hummel, Purdue-A stellar player, one who contributes in so many ways to the Boilermakers success. Leading the Boilermakers in scoring (14 per game) and rebounding (7.5, 4th in the Big Ten), Hummel also hands out 2.5 assists per game, doesn't turn the ball over, and shoots 91% from the free throw line, tops in the Big Ten. Could very well end up on the first team Big Ten at the end of the season and strongly challenge for Big Ten POY.

PF Kevin Coble, Northwestern-Another extremely versatile forward, Coble has been the linchpin (along with SG Craig Moore) to Northwestern's strong non-conference. Leading the Wildcats with over 15 points per game, Coble stuffs the stat sheet across the board-rebounds (6.1), assists (2.3), steals (1.2) and blocks (1.0) per game. About the only thing Coble doesn't do well is shoot free throws (52%).

C Jamelle Cornley, Penn State-More of a power forward, Cornley's contributions couldn't be overlooked. The only senior on these two teams, Cornley has tag teamed with Talor Battle to form a tough inside-outside duo. Averaging nearly 15 points and 8 rebounds per game, Cornley is relied upon heavily by the Nittany Lions as their primary post option. While Battle may draw all the attention, Cornley's the key to any post season hopes for Penn State.

Bonus:
Big 10 Freshman of the Non-Conference
Tom Pritchard, Indiana-Of course someone has to score points and grab rebounds for the sorry Hoosiers, but Pritchard has stood out this early season, averaging 13 points and 8.2 rebounds (tied for second in the Big Ten) per game. He particularly stands out on the offensive rebounding end, corralling over 4 per game, which leads the Big Ten. Nick Williams has also stood out for Indiana along with Anthony Tucker and Matt Gatens (Iowa), Colton Iverson (Minnesota), and John Shurna (Northwestern) for their respective programs.

Big Ten Coach of the Non Conference
John Beilein, Michigan-Many fine jobs being turned in this non-conference season, but Beilein grabbing wins over Duke and UCLA with a team most expected to be a year away from challenging serves notice that he's ready to challenge right now for Big Ten supremacy. Standout performances also by Tubby Smith, Bruce Weber, Thad Matta, and Bill Carmody.

Most pleasant surprise of the non-conference season
Stanley Pringle, Penn State-Pringle was a decent player off the bench last year for Penn State, who gained notoriety for his self involved escapades at the University library. This year he's turned out to be a much needed third weapon for Ed DeChellis, averaging 14 points per game for the Nittany Lions, while shooting 54% from three point land. If he can continue this pace, Penn State may surprise quite a few people in the Big Ten this season.

Most disappointing player this non-conference season
Marcus Landry, Wisconsin-His numbers don't look bad; in fact, the talented, multi-purpose forward for the Badgers has increased his points (from 10.4 to 12.5) this season. Taking a closer look however, in the three losses that Wisconsin has suffered (UConn, Marquette, and Texas) Landry has averaged just under 7 points per game while averaging just under 7 attempts per game. Wisconsin's pedestrian start to the season appears to be in large part because Landry hasn't taken the leap to go to guy in big games like they need.

***One thing to take notice of-of the ten spots on the All Big Ten squad, seven are taken by sophomores. That doesn't include the likes of Demetri McCamey, Kalin Lucas, Chris Allen, Durrell Summers, Blake Hoffarber, Jon Leuer, Laval Lucas Perry, Alex Legion, JaJuan Johnson, Michael Thompson, Jon Diebler, and Dallas Lauderdale (to name a few others). The class of '11 appears likely to keep the Big Ten strong for the next few years.

There are a couple of nonconference games you're overlooking - MSU hosts Kansas in early January and Michigan plays at UConn in early February.

Not overlooking, but with the conference schedule starting on New Year's Eve, I figured now was the time to do the non-conference All Big Ten team; I don't like the term "pre season" and save for the rare exceptions, non conference play ends once conference play begins.

Part of Tubby's "problems" at UK?

As you noted, coolhand, the Gophers are a balanced squad. Last night, Penn State had 9 points and 5 rebounds from their bench, the two guards Battle and Pringle playing 37 minutes each. Battle scored 25.
Our bench scored 42, (32 if you swap Jamal and Westbrook) and 13 rebounds. Nolan & Johnson led in time played with 31 minutes. This type of balance is not likely to earn you the highest recognition unless your team goes far. So I agree with your choices at PG, even though I'd not swap 'em!

We have the reverse situation of what we had in years past. With the opportunity for exposure and star status, we attracted some real "me" players. Now we are a "we" team and will attract players who don't need to be The Man. It was a pleasure to realize that not once in last night's game did I think, "Oh NO! Not him!" at a substitution.

One more thought:

Is Marcus Landry the new Dan Coleman? Oh, please let it be true!

Moonlight, do you mean a new "brick layer"??????????????

Not exactly. It was more coolhand's assessment of Landry's reticence to being the go-to guy.
I wouldn't describe Coleman as a bricklayer, as much as the Disappearing Man, esp. when we faced tougher opponents. Watching this years team, I don't think he had the intensity and toughness Tubby expects from his players. Maybe if he'd had 4 years with Tubby...

Not exactly. It was more coolhand's assessment of Landry's reticence to being the go-to guy.
I wouldn't describe Coleman as a bricklayer, as much as the Disappearing Man, esp. when we faced tougher opponents. Watching this years team, I don't think he had the intensity and toughness Tubby expects from his players. Maybe if he'd had 4 years with Tubby...

He would still be Dan Coleman and perform as Dan performed.

As you noted, coolhand, the Gophers are a balanced squad. Last night, Penn State had 9 points and 5 rebounds from their bench, the two guards Battle and Pringle playing 37 minutes each. Battle scored 25.
Our bench scored 42, (32 if you swap Jamal and Westbrook) and 13 rebounds. Nolan & Johnson led in time played with 31 minutes. This type of balance is not likely to earn you the highest recognition unless your team goes far. So I agree with your choices at PG, even though I'd not swap 'em!

We have the reverse situation of what we had in years past. With the opportunity for exposure and star status, we attracted some real "me" players. Now we are a "we" team and will attract players who don't need to be The Man. It was a pleasure to realize that not once in last night's game did I think, "Oh NO! Not him!" at a substitution.

That is yet to be determined. High profile players on the horizon.......

Mr. Half Truth
I'll concede that he'd still be Dan Coleman.

Because

So sorry for responding.

Not sure why the namecalling was necessary.

Mostly because I thought you were only half right.
You may have not figured this out, but a poster from Kentucky who comes here and fashions himself as the truth teller is unlikely to be welcomed.

You may have not figured this out, but a poster from Kentucky who comes here and fashions himself as the truth teller is unlikely to be welcomed.

Namecalling? Whatever.....

I am not from Kentucky, do not live in Kentucky, and have never been to Kentucky.

Warroad, MN is home.

Really do apologize Moonlight - didnt realize you were so sensitive.

I think you are confusing "TruthTeller" with "The Truth." "The Truth" is the Kentucky fan.

My mistake

Thanks sour. I apologize for confusing you w/another truth.
And we disagree. I think four years under Tubby would have contributed to a better outcome for Coleman. Maybe not a completely different one, but I see all our players (except Bostick) improving on a weekly basis. Eight years under our previous coach, I didn't see that. And I'm enjoying it.

Sour: Good job of straightening that out.

Moonlight: I agree mostly with what you say but I don't think DC had it in his make-up to be that aggressive player we all hoped for. I don't know him, maybe you do - just my observation.

As far a players improving I agree, BUT. What about our coverboy today Jeff Hagan. His improvement was truely fun to watch.

Sour: Good job of straightening that out.

Moonlight: I agree mostly with what you say but I don't think DC had it in his make-up to be that aggressive player we all hoped for. I don't know him, maybe you do - just my observation.

As far a players improving I agree, BUT. What about our coverboy today Jeff Hagan. His improvement was truely fun to watch.

Ditto for ARob.

True...

And I loved those players. I don't want to get into rehashing old news, which is so very Minnesotan.
In fact, I think the board is a bit dry here because we don't quite know what to say about our improvement. We don't really want to dis Dan, and yet the fact is we are seeing tremendous game-to-game improvement with our new players. I thought A-Rob was good from day 1, and Hagen was a pleasant surprise, but so far only Bostick isn't what we hoped for. We are all too polite to list the players who were disappointments over the last years, which is good - lets not go there. But lets not be so polite we forget to give credit where credit is due.

Top Bottom