My $0.02 NW Game

stevedave23

Reaction score
-Gopher run blocking was better this week. I wasn't very impressed with the NW front 7 but even taking that into account I thought the gopher OL looked better.

-Bennett and Eskridge need to run with their head's up. They missed some big cutbacks (particularly on a couple of short yardage plays).

-For the third time in three games the gophers outplayed their opponents on special teams.

-I wasn't as disappointed with the secondary as others have been. The gophers ran a lot of zone in the first 3 quarters and NW simply ran one or two receivers either underneath or in between the layers of the zone on each play.

-The gopher DL played very good and won the line of scrimage battle. After watching the other big ten games I feel like the gopher DL is playing as good as any in the conference.

-Weber looked very hit or miss (again). As the competition gets tougher the gophers will need him to be more consistant.

-I don't think anyone should discount this win. It might sound counter intuitive but IMHO winning on the road against a lesser opponent with dull crowd can be more difficult than beating a better team with a jacked up crowd on the road (see gophers record @Indiana the past 25 years).

I thought Weber played pretty decent. After watching the South Carolina/Ole Miss game and seeing how bad Garcia was playing and ESPN was still praising him it made me appreciate Weber a little more. He still to me is not a Big-Time QB but he's nothing like a lot of QB's that are below average. He makes some good plays and makes some bad plays, nobodies perfect.......

i agree that northwestern is a tricky road game, has the feel of just practice on a saturday with just a little bit of a crowd, their crowd was a lot like a high school game, pretty rough, hard to get fired up if you dont have the crowd either going nuts for you or completely ragging on you the whole time

Top Bottom