MSU o-linemen show Hageman lotta' respect

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
After the game I noticed Hageman heading toward the tunnel by himself and at least 3 or 4 of MSU's O-linemen went out of their way to seek him out. Could tell they had a ton of respect for Hageman.

The Gophers have come a long way in a short amount of time under Kill. They're a physical bunch and went toe to toe with Sparty, not an easy task. Next thing for the program is for the offense to catch up to the defense, mainly finding some playmakers.

Replacing Hageman next year will be no easy task. There are no DT's in the pipeline who can dominate the line of scrimmage like Ra'Shede can.

I do NOT mean this as a criticism.

But just imagine if he were an every down player?

Replacing Hageman next year will be no easy task. There are no DT's in the pipeline who can dominate the line of scrimmage like Ra'Shede can.

There's a different way to look at it. Many of us thought Hageman was a bust who had no position and never would realize the potential he had. But these coaches found the right position, taught it to him, and got a heck of a senior season out of him. So it is reasonable to assume they may do just as well with some of the younger kids...

So...what if our next great player isn't a tackle?

I'm tired of hearing this cliche about Ra'Shede. One of the ways he has gotten better is by playing his position and controlling his gap. This does not automatically result in spectacular plays but does result in a better defense. As far as I can tell Ra'Shede does not take plays off.

I'm tired of hearing this cliche about Ra'Shede. One of the ways he has gotten better is by playing his position and controlling his gap. This does not automatically result in spectacular plays but does result in a better defense. As far as I can tell Ra'Shede does not take plays off.
I think you may have misunderstood Studwell55, I don't think he meant that Ra'Shede doesn't play hard every play, just that he's not in the game every defensive play, they rotate guys in.

If he isn't an every down player at the next level he won't be around long.

What?

He isn't an "every down" player because the coaches choose to play a lot of DLineman. He is 100% capable of playing the run and the pass. Playing a lot of dlineman is the norm in the NFL today.

It's incredibly common at all levels to rotate a lot of defensive lineman. They are a sudden-burst type of athlete who happen to weigh 300 lbs, having a rotation is really common with defensive linemen.

Playing your defensive linemen on every single snap just isn't the way it's done anymore, in college or the NFL.

There's a different way to look at it. Many of us thought Hageman was a bust who had no position and never would realize the potential he had. But these coaches found the right position, taught it to him, and got a heck of a senior season out of him. So it is reasonable to assume they may do just as well with some of the younger kids...

These coaches didn't put him at DT.
He has been a DT since his FR season. Most of us thought he would end up at DT, the flirtations with him being a TE were similar to Jones being a QB. He was recruited by just about everyone as a potential DT, we promised we'd allow him to try TE, we did, then Brew's staff quickly moved him.
But he is definitely a story of not writing off guys early in their careers. He always had a position, he didn't always have the right attitude. Tons of people wrote him when the team suspended him at the en of his RS-FR season. His story isn't much different than Michael Carter's. Hopefully a few years from now, we'll be saying the same thing about a guy like Harbison.

What?

He isn't an "every down" player because the coaches choose to play a lot of DLineman. He is 100% capable of playing the run and the pass. Playing a lot of dlineman is the norm in the NFL today.

I don't know the reason for it but Hagman spent a lot of time on the sidelines this season. I understand the concept of rotating linemen in and out of games but I am not the only one who noticed the surprising amount of time he wasn't playing this year. Particularly, during games when our defensive line was getting pushed around by the offensive line. It was mentioned by other posters right here in GopherHole more than a few times. Even Glenn Mason noted Hagman's inconsistency during the TV broadcast on Saturday. I think there is more to this beyond your "normal D-line rotation" theory.

we won't be able to replace Ra'shede with another DT for next year or maybe for a while but that doesn't mean we won't have players that won't be as productive as Ra'shede, the position strengths of are teams will just be switched for example of we graduate all D lineman but return all of our secondary we won't neccesarily have a drop off in talent, just a change of where the strengths of the football teams lie at, Thieren and Eric Murray are only sophmores and could potentially replace the productivity that we lost with Shede, with Thieren after all did lead the big ten in sacks for most of the season and still has 2 more years of eligibility and in Sid's jottings he said that whenever NFL scouts are at games to evaluate Shede and Brock Vereen they also notice Murray as well, and of course he still has 2 more years of eligibility left as well

I don't know the reason for it but Hagman spent a lot of time on the sidelines this season. I understand the concept of rotating lineman in and out of games but I am not the only one who noticed the surprising amount of time he wasn't playing this year. Particularly, during games when our defensive line was getting pushed around by the offensive line. It was mentioned by other posters right here in GopherHole more than a few times. Even Glenn Mason noted Hagman's inconsistency during the TV broadcast on Saturday. I think there is more to this beyond your "normal D-line rotation" theory.

I've noticed that also. We may hear more about this come nfl draft time.

I don't know the reason for it but Hagman spent a lot of time on the sidelines this season. I understand the concept of rotating linemen in and out of games but I am not the only one who noticed the surprising amount of time he wasn't playing this year. Particularly, during games when our defensive line was getting pushed around by the offensive line. It was mentioned by other posters right here in GopherHole more than a few times. Even Glenn Mason noted Hagman's inconsistency during the TV broadcast on Saturday. I think there is more to this beyond your "normal D-line rotation" theory.

Well, if anyone knows how to coach defense, it would be Glenn Mason. JK.

It's not a theory, Claeys said he would rotate our DL a lot and he has. Hageman has been electric this year, that is partially due to our coaches knowing when to give him some spots. It's an incredibly common thing, think back to those really good NYG super bowl teams, they've had a litany of good defensive lineman. You'd see JPP or Tuck on the sideline at times, the commentators will even bring it up, it's simply a big part of today's game. Hageman isn't sitting out more than his rotation.

If not criticism, you must mean it as a compliment?

It's not a criticism to say that a great player is not an elite player.

This is only an informed guess, but I have a hunch that Rashede simply can't play every down because he gets tired.

During the Indiana game, he was caught on the field for too long and was a huge liability.

It's not a criticism to say that a great player is not an elite player.

This is only an informed guess, but I have a hunch that Rashede simply can't play every down because he gets tired.

During the Indiana game, he was caught on the field for too long and was a huge liability.

Pitino could get him in shape. Besides, we need a PF.:cool02:

Only 24 defensive linemen in the NFL have played 80% or more of the snaps this year.

Only 8 have played 90% or more. Jared Allen is one of those 8.

remember this - he was also double teamed on many plays - which also tells you how he was schemed - the dude is a player

Only 24 defensive linemen in the NFL have played 80% or more of the snaps this year.

Only 8 have played 90% or more. Jared Allen is one of those 8.

How many of the 24 that have played 80% are DTs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need 6-10 guys to rotate through the DL so you are fresh and don't get worn down in the 2nd half. The term "Every down D Linemen" is not even in the best interest of the defense. Also, you don't need or look for great individuals on a defense, you look for people to do their assignments to keep the overall defense from breaking down. Standing out is great, as long as it happens in your scheme. The most important aspect of any defense, is maintaining responsibility, and the team concept.

Top Bottom