MSU, NW Offense better than MN, say what?

Some Day...Maybe

Reaction score
Before the season would you have thought MSU & NW's offense would be better than Minnesota's? We have everybody back from last years bowl win on offense except Tyler Johnson and Curtis Dunlap? That's where I've been really disappointed through 2 games. I didn't know what to expect from the defense and knew they might be a work in progress (I didn't think they'd be this bad), but I thought the offense would be somewhat similar to last year. That hasn't been the case in my opinion.

What is the biggest difference, I would say the guy calling the plays. We had 3 series in the 4th qtr last night and did not cross mid field. We gained 23 yards? That's as bad as it gets. That's not how you win a game that you had right there for the taking. MSU scored more points vs Michigan and NW scored more points vs Maryland. Who had that going in to the season? That MSU and NW would have better offenses than Minnesota? We can bitch about the defense all we want, and rightly so, but the strength of this team was supposed to be the offense and it's not. It couldn't even must a point in a full 4th quarter against Maryland. It was gifted great field position early vs Michigan on the blocked punt and it was gifted great field position vs Maryland on the interception.

Hopefully they can work things out with Sanford, but 2 games in I'm very disappointed. Maybe PJ should of just hired a QB coach and let his long time Asst. Simon coordinate the offense and call the plays. He sure did one hell of a job vs Auburn in his first ever attempt. And he sure knows the offense that has been so successful the last so many years, since he's been involved with it.

Hmm. What's your criteria for saying those offenses are better?

There's an awful lot of hand wringing over the offense today for a team averaging 34 ppg but who just gave up almost 700 yards and over 10 yards per play to a bottom-tier Maryland team.

There's an awful lot of hand wringing over the offense today for a team averaging 34 ppg but who just gave up almost 700 yards and over 10 yards per play to a bottom-tier Maryland team.

The defense sucks, but the offense has pretty much everyone back and is not what I expected. They seem to lack confidence and Morgan and Bateman seem frustrated. They need to carry the defense when they can and they were as bad as you can be the whole 4th qtr vs Maryland.

If the offense isn’t on the field, it is harder to score points and gain yards.

if the offense is playing from behind, it tends to take some options off the table
With our offense, Playing with a lead takes even more options off the table, like any type of forward pass

With our offense, Playing with a lead takes even more options off the table, like any type of forward pass
We do that to ourselves
And then when down against Michigan it also took options off the table

The defense sucks, but the offense has pretty much everyone back and is not what I expected. They seem to lack confidence and Morgan and Bateman seem frustrated. They need to carry the defense when they can and they were as bad as you can be the whole 4th qtr vs Maryland.
Other than the three and out to start the game the offense did whatever they wanted before the coaches decided to turtle and run the clock out. The offense isn't the issue.

Other than the three and out to start the game the offense did whatever they wanted before the coaches decided to turtle and run the clock out. The offense isn't the issue.
They did, but should have involved Potts more in the run game early and Bateman/CAB and Jackson in the passing game. Then you have a fresher Mo for the 4th quarter delay game.

Not trying to be mean but this seems like a strange thing to be confused by.
My point was, how does the defense not getting off the field hurt the offense for an entire quarter, 3 full series? Maryland’s scoring drives in the 4th quarter were under 4 minutes twice (one was 2 minutes of the 3rd qtr and 1:30 of the 4th) and 1:08 for their 3rd. That should not affect the offense. It’s not like they didn’t have 3 opportunities to get even 3 points, which would of sealed the win.

Yes, the defense is atrocious, but the offense has regressed in a noticeable way in my opinion with virtually all personnel back. This offense last year would have easily put this game away in the 4th quarter. It was piss poor and chicken sh^t play calling by our new OC. The defense didn’t have squat to do with the offensive performance in the 4th quarter. Now if Maryland held the ball for 2 long drives and kept the ball from our O that’s a different story, but our O had 3 drives, all with plenty of time on the clock and did zero.

My point was, how does the defense not getting off the field hurt the offense for an entire quarter, 3 full series? Maryland’s scoring drives in the 4th quarter were under 4 minutes twice (one was 2 minutes of the 3rd qtr and 1:30 of the 4th) and 1:08 for their 3rd. That should not affect the offense. It’s not like they didn’t have 3 opportunities to get even 3 points, which would of sealed the win.

Yes, the defense is atrocious, but the offense has regressed in a noticeable way in my opinion with virtually all personnel back. This offense last year would have easily put this game away in the 4th quarter. It was piss poor and chicken sh^t play calling by our new OC. The defense didn’t have squat to do with the offensive performance in the 4th quarter. Now if Maryland held the ball for 2 long drives and kept the ball from our O that’s a different story, but our O had 3 drives, all with plenty of time on the clock and did zero.
Comparing last years offense at the end of the year to the offense at the beginning of this year is an apples and oranges thing

especially if the week 2 offense is in the first year with a new play caller.

the offense hasn’t looked as sharp as it did in its best moments last year. The offense hasn’t looked bad with the exception of a few plays.

I would prefer we throw the ball more than we do.

Comparing last years offense at the end of the year to the offense at the beginning of this year is an apples and oranges thing

especially if the week 2 offense is in the first year with a new play caller.

the offense hasn’t looked as sharp as it did in its best moments last year. The offense hasn’t looked bad with the exception of a few plays.

It almost feels to me like Sanford doesn't yet trust Morgan. The OP mentioned MSU and Northwestern being better on offense. I don't know that is totally true but the one thing I noticed about MSU vs. Michigan is that MSU was not afraid to take shots downfield and that really helped them out in the game. Now in defense of Sanford, the O-line did not play well against Michigan which makes it much tougher to go deep, but you have to find a way to take a shot sometimes.

Take the training wheels off and let Morgan do what he does. Even against Maryland it felt like our passing game was really conservative. Have to be willing to throw one up sometimes and trust that your really accurate QB will make a good read and good throw.

Only watched bits and pieces of those games, but my main thoughts were:

- does MSU have the best OL in the Big Ten??? I thought Mich's DL was full of NFL first rounders, and nearly impossible to stop? But even in clear passing situations .... I was dumbfounded .... they didn't get any pressure on MSU's QB???? How can that be???

- I actually really like NW's offense. They use a lot of "misdirection" looking run plays, and a lot of hard runners. Plus they have a solid (not outstanding) QB, when they need to throw the ball.

Same here. We called 12 pass plays vs Maryland and I it should be Bateman having 12 targets in a game on double that many attempts by Morgan.
if the OC doesn’t trust Morgan, then he’s an idiot and needs to be let go immediately.

Throw more (especially to the tight ends!), and we'll be playing for the National Championship — no matter how bad the defense and special teams are.

It's a no-brainer. It's elementary, Football 101. It's the offensive play-calling that's holding us back!

Throw more (especially to the tight ends!), and we'll be playing for the National Championship — no matter how bad the defense and special teams are.

It's a no-brainer. It's elementary, Football 101. It's the offensive play-calling that's holding us back!
Who said anything about National Championships? We’re talking about 1 football game and the overwhelming chance we had to win it in the 4th quarter but by all means bring up a totally different point with your ridiculous hyperbole.

Same here. We called 12 pass plays vs Maryland and I it should be Bateman having 12 targets in a game on double that many attempts by Morgan.
if the OC doesn’t trust Morgan, then he’s an idiot and needs to be let go immediately.
Hmm. How did the other receiver do?

The offense would benefit from having the absent OL layers back on the field.

That's true, but the defense is what it is.. So what do we have to do? Score more to win... right? I mean, like we have to grin and bear the defense until it gets better, but we know our offense is better than this. Sure we score 34ppg, but did you see the outline of our play calling at the end of the game this last game? Did we play and do as much as we could on offense?

Hmm. How did the other receiver do?
Very well and he should be getting about 8 targets a game to go along with Batemans 12.
I wasn’t saying we should only throw to RB, just saying he should get a chance at a catch about 12 times per game.
we didn’t have good balance during the game and that resulted in Mo being worn out when we needed him most.

Very well and he should be getting about 8 targets a game to go along with Batemans 12.
I wasn’t saying we should only throw to RB, just saying he should get a chance at a catch about 12 times per game.
we didn’t have good balance during the game and that resulted in Mo being worn out when we needed him most.
Morgan was locked onto and forcing the ball to Bateman in the Michigan game. He adjusted and Friday showed Gophs have two receiving threats. That's a good thing for the rest of the season. I'm very satisfied with it.

Top Bottom