MSR: A chat with Black Gopher tailgaters

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Hallman:

Tailgate parties—the name derived from people holding social events on and around the open tailgate of a vehicle—are very popular in the United States and Canada during the early fall months. They are held in parking lots of stadiums and arenas before games and usually wrap up afterwards. Tailgating also takes place at festivals and concerts.

Most college football Saturday games around the country aren’t complete without some kind of tailgating. Those attending usually bring food, drinks, and other nourishments. The usual fare includes burgers, brats, hot dogs, and sometimes ribs and other meats suited for grilling.

Tailgating is a Gopher football thing, as many parking lots near the stadium are full of people having pre-game fun, food and fellowship—but they are usually White. Longtime Gopher fans Vince Wright and his wife are regular tailgaters. “I love tailgating,” he admitted. “It’s not LSU. It’s not Ohio State by any means. But it is a lot of fun.”

It certainly isn’t an HBCU where tailgating is almost automatic, but Wright, who usually sets up in Lot 58 next door to Maturi Pavilion and across the street from Ridder Arena, nonetheless is an enthusiastic rarity in these parts—a Black Gopher football fan who attends games even though not connected with a player by blood or friendship.

I first met Wright a year ago. His sister Kim Bell once played for the Gophers women’s basketball team, and he is a graduate of the school himself. He invited me to attend one of his tailgating parties, and we finally took him up on it.

“We got doughnuts today because it’s in the morning, so we kind of got a lot more breakfast food here,” explained Wright last Saturday, Homecoming Day. Usually, it is burgers and brats, “obviously tons of beer and alcohol and everything else. It doesn’t take too long at all—it probably took us literally 10 minutes to set it all up. We got some friends who just showed up. I don’t think they’re going to the game. They just came down to tailgate.”

As both of us looked around, we found ourselves the only non-Whites in the place. “It’s disappointing when you look around and you’re one of the few,” Wright noted. “College football in general and Gopher games are a lot of fun.”

Go Gophers!!

Wonder why they don't have more tailgaters. Perhaps they have a party afterwards somewhere. I'm one of those who unwind after the games somewhere.

Wonder why they don't have more tailgaters. Perhaps they have a party afterwards somewhere. I'm one of those who unwind after the games somewhere.
Part of it is money. Pre TCF/ Huntington, you could park/ tailgate right next to the MetroDump for $300.00 for the whole season with IIRC a portion going to the GLC. Now? Think a similar spot would be $1000.00 to $2000.00 or more.

Part of it is money. Pre TCF/ Huntington, you could park/ tailgate right next to the MetroDump for $300.00 for the whole season with IIRC a portion going to the GLC. Now? Think a similar spot would be $1000.00 to $2000.00 or more.
True, but you can also go to the state fairgrounds and tailgate.

True, but you can also go to the state fairgrounds and tailgate.
This. I pay $70/ year for the lot on West Bank and tailgate every week. The price of season tix + cheap tailgating options make the Gophers one of the best sports values in the TC market. Yeah, if you want to be right next to the stadium it costs good money. But that is a very simple law of supply and demand. There are options elsewhere for those that can’t afford it or are too cheap to justify it.

With that said, I can’t say I’ve recalled any non-whites in my lot either.

I'm cheap, I pay and tailgate at the fairgrounds because it is what I can afford. There are options for everyone, and Aldi's sells cheap food. It is the most affordable option, and the bus is convienent.

Last edited:

Top Bottom